Author Topic: How not to remove spiders  (Read 4480 times)

Preacherman

How not to remove spiders
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:50:53 AM »
From Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050902/od_nm/germany_spiders_dc):

Fri Sep 2,12:18 PM ET

Well, at least the spiders are gone...

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German woman laid waste to her family home by setting fire to it as she tried to kill spiders in a garage with a can of hairspray and a cigarette lighter.

Police in the western town of Zuelpich said that when the aerosol failed to finish them off, the 34-year-old woman tried to burn them with the lighter. However, this set the area she had just sprayed on fire and the blaze spread to a hedge.

"It was a series of unfortunate events which led to the damage," a police spokesman said Thursday.

"She tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but couldn't. Instead her semi-detached house next to the hedge caught fire. It's now uninhabitable."

Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze and save the neighboring house, which sustained broken windows and some charring. The spokesman estimated the total cost of the damage at well over 100,000 euros. No one was hurt.

"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:00:46 PM »
She must work for the German government.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »
Talk about overkill, Geezzzz...  

Removing spiders.

1. Call the kitty.  Spiders are cat toys unless they are know killers like a black widow.

2. No kitty?  Glass or jar and a stiff piece of paper.  Cover spider with jar, slide paper under, take to the outside and set free.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 06:38:44 PM »
Squashing them with my thumb like my caveman ancestors did millenia ago still works just fine. The technique has fallen out of favor in today's sanitized world.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tjy2001

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 01:38:02 AM »
Hmm... The old home-made flamethrower trick? I find the "Squish em with a shoe" technique works just as good  and doesn't take the house out at the same time.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 10:11:20 AM »
I prefer a trowel, e-tool, or some similarly sized gardening implement.  I just absolutely hate getting my thumb all gooey with spider guts.

Strings

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:40:16 PM »
nope... sorry... the proper tool for removing spiders is a military-band radio...

"Fire mission, fire mission!" >Smiley

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 03:48:44 AM »
How did this NOT happen in Indiana???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 05:10:05 AM »
I like spiders, as long as they are the only creepy crawlers I see in my house I am cool with that and don't crawl into bed with me. They eat other insects.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 05:12:01 AM »
El T,
It does happen in Indiana.  It's just not news when it happens here.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 06:03:22 AM »
I like spiders, as long as they are the only creepy crawlers I see in my house I am cool with that and don't crawl into bed with me. They eat other insects.
Spiders are not insects, they are arachnids.  The most obvious difference is that insects have six legs, while arachnids have eight.  Closer examination shows that insects have antennae, while arachnids do not.  Arachnids eyes are singular, though many have more than two.  The majority of insects have hundreds or thousands of eyes, arraigned into compound structures.

Putting animals in the wrong grouping is a bothersome to me as calling my self loading, semi-automatic FAL a machine gun.

As for spiders in the bed, years ago a friend and his wife purchased their first home.  One the first night in the house, one of the resident spiders must have taken a great liking to my friend, and joined he and his wilfe in their bed to give her personal welcome on a particularly "sensative" part of my friends anatomy.

To this day, he still hates spiders with a passion.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 06:21:14 AM »
ok, I forgot to edit the last sentence before I posted. I know spiders are not insects.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

P95Carry

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 03:37:30 PM »
As Peter didn't say it

Great to see a good ''yarn'' on the ''web'' again.  My wife saw this thread - I ''spider'' takin' a peek! rolleyes Cheesy  With this story tho we had a definite ''burning'' curiosity!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 03:16:01 AM »
cordex, had not thought of that.  Simply too common to be "news".
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 05:24:00 AM »
El T,
Yeah, it's like someone getting drunk and plowing through a cornfield in their pickup.  Or someone in West LaFayette getting sick on raw fish.  It happens so often that the news barely even takes time to recognize that it happened.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »
Had a guy upside down in an orchard the other day--OWI + HTV.

Some guys collect stamps, coins or guns; some collect felonies.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 04:10:51 PM »
Chris,

Oy Marohn!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »
How did this NOT happen in Indiana???
Because I didn't burn down Mom and Dad's house when I did it.  Cheesy
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 01:02:27 AM »
"Squashing them with my thumb like my caveman ancestors did millenia ago still works just fine. The technique has fallen out of favor in today's sanitized world."

Yes, but then your caveman ancestors would have eaten said spider!

Reminds me of the third shift cashier days shooting flies out of the air with a can of lysol and a BIC. I managed to not burn the place down.

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Penman

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 02:39:10 PM »
Good thing she didn't have a 12 gauge...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »
Good thing she didn't have a 12 gauge...
Heh ... hey El Tejon ... that is something that happens in Indiana.  Improvised 12 gauge solutions.

There was a lady around here with warts on one of her toes.  Or maybe it was an ingrown toenail.  Anyhow, this lady decides to get rid of the problem, so she gets liquored up (or more likely was already liquored up) and performs a quick shotgun surgery.  Sure enough, no more problem with her toe.  No more toe, for that matter.