Author Topic: Photography tutorials?  (Read 1350 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Photography tutorials?
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:04:47 PM »
OK, that summer pic thread was fun.  Now, my friends are having fun with their cameras, and with fall colors starting, I figure it is time to learn how to use this old SLR.  I have an old Canon AE1 with a bunch of lenses, figure that should get me started.

Anyone know of good tutorials online that can explain the basics?  I don't care much for things on how to spruce up the pictures, or to capture the scenery to make it look better.  Or how to make it look better with Photohop.  I want tutorials on aperature, shutter speed, focusing, etc.

Also, what is the best way to have these developed?  One friend likes Wal-mart 1 hour with the photo CD, says that works good enough, another says the couple days thing is the only way to go (excluding darkrooms).
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

spinr

Photography tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:41:14 PM »
Here's P95Carry's Image Matters section on aperature & shutter settings, depth of field, etc.  I found it quite helpful when I was first learning the basics.

http://www.alumbankweb.com/img_matters/basefile/photfacts.htm

Photo.net has several articles that may be of use to you.  The links under the beginners section should have much of what you're looking for.

http://www.photo.net/learn/

Those are just a couple off the top of my head...

Good luck!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Photography tutorials?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 07:17:15 PM »
Another vote for the beginners section at photo.net. Good stuff for a newbie there.

The tutorials are set up like a class. They go through and explain one aspect of photography, and then it ends with a short photo assignment/exercise for you to go out and try what you have learned.

jefnvk

• friend
Photography tutorials?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »
OK, thanks.

Camera is probably being sent up tomorrow, hopefully I will get a chance to try it this weekend.

Penman

Photography tutorials?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:37:12 PM »
John Shaw (not the shooter) has a book called "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques", which is a great introduction. Above all, if you understand that photography is not about pictures- photography is about light, you will be far ahead of the herd.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Photography tutorials?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 07:43:54 PM »
What level of instruction do you need?

It shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes for someone to explain the basics.  P95Carry's Image Matters article is good, but it's a little overcomplicated.  

My father sat me down one day completely out of the blue and said "Son, you need to learn how to operate a camera.  He's how they work..."  He gave me his old Pentax Spotmatic and the 10 minute lecture.  I've been hooked ever since.  

I'd be happy to talk you through it, if you'd like.

Wal-Mart film processing is good enough for non-critical stuff.  They're cheap and fast.  But their goons sometimes botch a roll, so don't use them for any really important work.

Every town has at least one "real" camera shop.  Find yours and go make friends with the staff.  They'll be willing (usually) and able (always) to answer any question you can come up with.  Use them to process any important films.

jefnvk

• friend
Photography tutorials?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:59:03 AM »
OK, I have looked through P95's and the Photo.net things.  Those are pretty much what I was looking for,  just the quick basics on things like apreature.

Now, I just gotta get out and give it a try.