Author Topic: Chile peppers!  (Read 2316 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Chile peppers!
« on: September 05, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »
Sandy and I have spent most of this weekend putting up peppers.  Yesterday, two bushels of Big Jims along with 50 pounds of tomatoes and the requisite onions and garlic yielded 53 pints of salsa.  Some of you have tasted our salsa.  This year's batch is better than ever, by far.

Today, we put up two bushels of Mosca Mirasols (you didn't hear that from me, they are a mythical strain of Pueblo chile).  In our spare time, we had breakfast with Sandy's sister 40 miles away and picked and put up 29 pints of green beans.

Any of you who are close and like to cook and would like some of these (Standing Wolf, Justin?) let me know.  I can hook you up.

The peppers are better than ever this year, for whatever reason.  Roasted price is $20/bushel.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in any of the farms around here.  Just getting the word out.

We've been growing and putting up peppers for many years.  This year's crop is the best I've ever seen.

grampster

• friend
Chile peppers!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 04:10:06 PM »
You wouldn't be coming by Michigan with some o' that salsa, now wouldya? (whine)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Chile peppers!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:18:55 PM »
Are you anywhere close to where Frontier Air Lines flies into? We get good rates with them (Our SIL works for them). I would really like to take a trip soon but I don't know if Michanders can handle Pueblo chiles.

Sandy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Chile peppers!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 04:36:05 PM »
I dearly loved peppers when peppers still loved me.

Sounds like a half-baked country and western song, doesn't it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Justin

• friend
Chile peppers!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
Standing Wolf-  You know what you get when you play a country song backwards?

You get your truck back, your dog back, your house back...

Smiley

Larry-  I would most assuredly be interested in some peppers.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Chile peppers!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 06:25:33 PM »
You get your truck back, your dog back, your house back...
...and you Ex back.  <>  Proof positive that Satin works in country music, not R&R.  LOL
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Preacherman

Chile peppers!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 03:57:09 AM »
Larry, if those peppers will help fight exhaustion, please send me some...  I've been pulling 16-hour days since Tuesday working to organize the post-Katrina relief effort of about 20 church and religous organizations.  I've been running on adrenaline, coffee, nicotine and nervous tension, so adding peppers to the mix shouldn't hurt!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Chile peppers!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »
Justin, we'll probably be doing another batch on Sunday.  There's an auction with a couple of interesting guns on Saturday.  Let me know if you're coming and if you know what you want, I can order them beforehand.  Otherwise, you can pick them out when you get here and they'll roast them while you wait.  We sit on the front porch and peel and core them.  You are welcome to join us.

Peter, many thanks for what you have been doing.  No, they won't do much for fatigue, but some salsa will put a smile on your face.  PM me a snail mail address if you want, and I'll send you a pint.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Chile peppers!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 08:58:32 AM »
Hey, I'm taking my ex to New Orleans in a couple of days.

Where better to...

Maybe I'd best not say anything more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Moondoggie

• friend
Chile peppers!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 01:36:01 PM »
Our peppers did very well this year, too!

Bells, Bannana, Chile plants all yielded heavily.

We still had plenty of Habanero Salsa from last yr, so didn't plant any this year.  Still have dried & frozen Habaneros, too!

"I fell into a burning ring of fire"!  I KNOW what Johnny waz talkin' 'bout!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Smoke

Chile peppers!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 04:19:02 PM »
On my annual trip to Monahans to slaughter little grey birdies, a fellow gave me a very small pepper to go with my BBQ.  Now , I might have been born at night ....but it wasn't last night.  I figured this little ol' thing might have a bit of a bite to it....so I carefully tasted the tip....

Not a bad flavor and a mild, almost laughable.............WHAT!  HOLY CRAP! THIS THING IS ONE NASTY

silence.

I can not speak.

I heard after my tongue turned to ash that they were called San Tantos.  (sic?)

Very small.  Apparently rare  if his story was correct.  He claimed to have the only plants west of I35.
I hope I never see any of those again.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Chile peppers!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 06:43:07 AM »
Smoke, that reminds me of one of my dad's many incidents. Tongue

We were down in San Antonio for a family reunion and Thanksgiving feast many years ago.  During the pre-feast social hours, we were snacking on all of the goodies in bowls on the tables.  There were peanuts, chips and dips, candies, and lots of other snackables.  There was also a bowl of what appeared to be roasted nuts.  So my dad grabs a handful, stuffs them in his mouth and happily chews away.  Well, they weren't nuts.  They were chile piquins (don't know the proper spelling), which are small but very hot chiles.  

My dad likes hot, spicy foods.  He eats fresh raw jalapenos with no problems.  But those chile piquins just about set him on fire.  Lots of sweating and panting.  His faced turned bright red and his breathing and pulse went up like he just ran a marathon.  Of course, his family didn't help much.  We offered him hot coffee and shots of whiskey to cool his mouth.  He declined without much politeness.

BTW, Larry, how does one get started in canning?  Just find the info on the web?  Any good recommendations?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Chile peppers!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 08:03:13 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
BTW, Larry, how does one get started in canning?  Just find the info on the web?  Any good recommendations?
My wife and I kind of grew up with it.  Your local county extension office is a good place to start.  Also, I'm sure Ball and Kerr (jar mfgrs.) have starting guides, and there is usually a recipe book with each new pressure cooker (a must).  I'm sure there are places on the net as well.

Smoke must have grown up in the southwest.  Never take a big bite out of an unknown pepper, especially if it is small.  And ESPECIALLY if it is offered by a friend who is standing there smirking as he says: "These are really tasty".