Author Topic: I hate waiting.  (Read 1679 times)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
I hate waiting.
« on: September 08, 2005, 03:00:29 AM »
Have you ever felt that awkward lurch when you step off of the escalator onto the landing, and you're still moving at the escalator's speed, and the floor feels like it's actually moving a little backward?

I've become so used to the instantaneous nature of life these days.  You can buy a book or a movie or a pretty much anything else online and have it in a day or two.  You can buy a song online and have in it a minute or two.  

I've stepped off the escalator.  I wrote a book.  84,000 words of my soul.  It took me a long time to do the first third, because I was unmotivated.  But the last two thirds of it happened over about two months, because I made a promise at summer solstice, that I would have it done by fall equinox.  Writing, proofing, editing, revising.  It was a flurry of work.  Done.  I was going a hundred miles an hour.  Then I submitted it.  "Please expect to hear a response from us in 4-6 months."  4-6 months.  Ouch.  Sad

The universe is trying to teach me patience, and I wish it would hurry the heck up and get it over with...

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

TarpleyG

• friend
I hate waiting.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:26:51 AM »
What's the book about?

BrokenPaw

• friends
I hate waiting.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 05:00:56 AM »
The one that's done is a young-adult fantasy about a teenage girl who finds herself able to create and manipulate fire through sheer force of will.  She lives in a kingdom where all forms of magic and "witchcraft" are banned by law.  

Much of it delves into the ethics of doing what is right versus what is legal.  I imagine that a gunnie reading it would pick up on the undertone of "self-reliance is a Good Thing; no one is going to protect you but you; a weapon is a tool that is neither good nor evil, the mind of its wielder is the important part".  I like to think it's fairly subtle in what it's saying.  Enough so that it might subliminally get into someone's head and get them thinking.  

It touches on the morality of things like revenge, self-defense, use of deadly force in defense of others, and self-sacrifice to save one's family.

The one I'm currently working on is a murder mystery of sorts.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Strings

I hate waiting.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »
Broken Paw: willing to send a sample (heck, even a full copy)? Sounds like something my wife and I would appreciate (and might give you some more input)...

Antibubba

• friend
I hate waiting.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:59:15 AM »
I'm happy for you.  I just started writing one.  It's frustrating, because I have the whole thing in my head, but translating it to paper is excruciating.  

I can't wait to read it. Smiley

(Oh-and will it have a map?  I love fantasy books with maps.  :sh*t-eating grin:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
I hate waiting.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:51:39 PM »
It took me a year and a half to write a novel. I'm still so sick of the labor that went into it, I can't focus on the task of selling it.

I didn't even want to write the @#$%^&! thing in the first place!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BrokenPaw

• friends
I hate waiting.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 03:52:22 AM »
SW,

If you didn't want to write it, why'd you write it?  Your posting history does not incline me to believe that you're the sort to be easily coerced...  Wink  What is yours about?

I started mine in 1998, and had about a third of it done by this spring.  Apathy.  But I finally decided that writing from an office in my house among the trees would be a more fulfilling career than sitting in an office among the parking lots.  Having a lucrative writing career's not easy, but it's a heck of a lot easier if you actually bother to get something published, so I made a promise at Litha Festival that I would have the bloody thing done within 3 months; it only took 2, once I put my mind to it.

The new one, the mystery one, is going much faster overall; I wrote the initial idea and the first chapter back in the spring of this year when it first occured to me (so I wouldn't forget), but I've really only been working on it since I finished the other; so about a month or a little less.  I've got 23,000 words or so into it, and reactions have been good from my First Reader.  She was laughing so hard two nights ago I almost needed to get her a towel...

-BP

BrokenPaw

• friends
I hate waiting.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 03:59:51 AM »
(Oh-and will it have a map?  I love fantasy books with maps.  :sh*t-eating grin:
I wasn't planning for it to have a map, because the goegraphical scope of the story is relatively small.  Gods willing, if the publisher picks it up, I already have a sequel in mind that will be much broader in scope and will cover a lot more geography.

-BP

Standing Wolf

• friend
I hate waiting.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 05:50:35 PM »
If you didn't want to write it, why'd you write it?  Your posting history does not incline me to believe that you're the sort to be easily coerced...    What is yours about?
In my experience, art isn't often a very rational activity. My lifelong passion is for painting. I'm perfectly content to paint. I get up early every morning, paint five or six hours, and sometimes end up with presentable paintings, although that's largely incidental to the endeavor. It's all about painting (verb,) not paintings (nouns.)

I used to write approximately the same way. In the late 1980s, I decided to abandon the Great American Novel in favor of shorter forms. I'd happened across novellas by Jim Harrison, tried on some European novellas for sizeit's actually a European genre, one we've largely ignoredand gave it a whirl. I actually made some progress. I found I could write considerably smaller than I'd ever thought. I kept trying to turn novellas into novels by adding more bulk, but eventually wised up to the method.

About the time I started to make visible progress writing small, I resumed painting, which I'd been forced to abandon in boyhood. I painted and wrote for awhile. In 1995 or thereabouts, I decided to take a month of writing just to paint. I was curious to see what would happen. To my amazement and delight, I painted up a storm, and felt almost no need to return to writing. I knew at the time my painting wasn't ever going to win awards or command stellar pricesbut it was painting. It was good. It was the real thing. It was what I was born to do.

Other than marketing and advertising stuff, I didn't even think about writing. Oh, I knew some tales I could have written, good ones, some of thembut so what? How excited about a rusty old Volkswagen are you supposed to get when you've got a Porsche to drive?

Little did I know!

The Great American Novel was lurking in wait all that time. It took its first bite out of me in the spring of 2003. I ignored it. I didn't want anything to do with it, especially since it was a tale about an evil man. I've never had any interest in evil. It's repugnant. It needs to be acknowledged, true, and resisted and fought and vanquishedbut so what? Not on my time!

I tried to sabotage it by dashing off a few chapters in the fall of that year. It was a wretched mess. I happily erased it from my main hard drive and resumed painting with undivided attention. The @#$%^&! thing demanded to be written.

I wrote it. I rewrote it. I re-rewrote it. I re-re-rewrote it. It devoured a year and a half of my life. I set it aside between draughts 7 and 8 to write a novella about people who aren't the least bit evil, and wrote it in my own style instead of my evil narrator's style. It was a thing of beauty and grace, light and charm and hope. It's a truly delightful little taleand the novel demanded to be finished, anyway.

I finished it this past spring. I did a bit of marketing for it, only to discover agents are just as slow to send form rejection E-mails as they used to be to send form rejection post cards. I still can't stand to think about the @#$%^&! thing. It's a brilliantly conceived, very well wrought tale about not one, but two evil people: a man and a woman who wander into something like a romantic relationship. If someone else had written it and I brought it home from a book shop, I'm sure I'd find it an amazing piece of work.

I'm going to have to figure out what to do with itbut not just yet. I've since written the first draught of another novella, and again, there's nothing even remotely related to evil in it. I don't want to work on it, either. All I really want to do is paint and shoot bullseye.

I wouldn't wish creativity on my worst enemy even if I had one.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BrokenPaw

• friends
I hate waiting.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 05:16:32 AM »
The @#$%^&! thing demanded to be written.
SW, that sounds very familiar.  Before I was even done with the first manuscript, I had two more banging around inside my skull, wanting to be let out.

I put down a little bit of each, just to shut the voices up.  Now that I've got #1 out the door, #2 has taken over my fingers, and #3 is just lurking back there in the shadows, like a spider, waiting for its chance.

-BP