Author Topic: I just created a new sport  (Read 3052 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
I just created a new sport
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »
Fox Fishin'

I was at the local elementary school's playground practicing casts with my baitcasting setup this evening.  I was between the ball field and a small grove of trees casting parallel to the grove.  Shortly after the sun set, I cast "one last time".  On that last cast, I got a birdsnest in the reel and was busy untangling it when a dark shape runs out of the grove and attacks the lead sinker I had tied to the end of my line, about 50yds away.  I get the mess straightened out and start reeling in my line.  Every time it pulled away from this creature, it jumped on it again.  I thought it was a cat at first (remember, it's just getting dark), but as it got closer, I realized the tail was too bushy and the snout was too long.  I had "hooked" a fox!  It chased and pounced the "lure" until it got within 15 yards of me.

Next time I'll used a treble hook and a chicken neck. Tongue

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »
I have tried other versions of "Fox Fishing" in college using alcohol and fancy dinners.  Never worked well for me.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
I've always wanted to put bread on a hook and catch seagulls Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:25:55 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
I have tried other versions of "Fox Fishing" in college using alcohol and fancy dinners.  Never worked well for me.
I hear ya.  However, since the wife and child were in the adjacent playground, going after that sort of fox would've resulted in me being used as chum by my darling wife.

Chris

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 05:44:09 PM »
Next time I'll used a treble hook and a chicken neck.
I understand the catch part, but how, exactly, does one release a snared fox?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:56:03 PM »
Does Shell know you're talking about her that way? Smiley

A few months ago I was walking Ruger and Nikky when we scared up a fox along the school property next to my place.

The four of us just stared at each other, from probably no more than 10 feet away, for about 2 minutes before the fox yipped and trotted off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 05:57:04 PM »
Oh, and it's not really a new sport, sport.

They've been doing that with alley rats behind bars in DC and Baltimore for years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
I understand the catch part, but how, exactly, does one release a snared fox?
It was a joke.  The last thing I want is an angry and confused fox on the other end of the line I'm holding. Smiley

The four of us just stared at each other, from probably no more than 10 feet away, for about 2 minutes before the fox yipped and trotted off.
Ruger and Nicky were probably looking at you as if to say "can we kill it dad?" Tongue

Chris

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »
Standing Wolf,

Release fox by placing some lead in ear.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 06:35:35 PM »
"Ruger and Nicky were probably looking at you as if to say "can we kill it dad?"

Ruger wanted to play, but Nikky was just a little leery. She was very very interested in finding out about the "new guy" on the block, but she was still kind of leery.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »
My grandmother has a fox.  It's her "pet" fox.  He comes up on the porch and eats food that grandma makes grandad put out.  Grandad isn't real hot about the idea, but they'll have been married 60 years in November, so he knows when not to argue.  Her fox likes Red Steagall.  Don Edwards is too nasal for foxes, according to grandma.  She determined this by playing both CDs for the fox, and seeing how he reacted.  I'm glad somebody is finally doing research on this important topic.  She derives endless entertainment from this little creature, and spends no less than two hours telling me about him every time I visit.

Somehow, after a depression, a world war, two kids, four grandkids, and (thus far) five great grandkids, a small wild dog is the most exciting thing in her life.  Maybe that will make sense to me in another sixty years.

Subby

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »
Irwin's right, ratfishing is/was a sort of a cult sport in Baltimore.  There's a couple of good stories about it on ratkill.com.  Come to think of it, there's a lot of good stories about all things rat on ratkill.com.

Sub

Subby

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 07:33:52 PM »
Here's a little link, not much to it

http://www.ratkill.com/test.html#ratfish1

Sub

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 10:27:24 PM »
I've always wanted to put bread on a hook and catch seagulls
It might sound like fun, but seagulls will hit on our baited hooks when we go salmon fishing out here. Trying to pull a hook out of a seagulls beak gets real tiresome after the first millisecond.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 04:56:48 AM »
Ratkill.com:  I think I've just about seen everything, now.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 05:49:38 AM »
Some friends of mine used to "people fish" in college.  They used a $10 bill, very clear line, and cast off of their fraternity house balcony onto the sidewalk that was maybe 50 feet away and down the hill.  Reeling it in was the best part.
Experiment with a chemist!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 10:10:19 AM »
ever catch a bat while flyfishing?

theres alos prairie dog fishing:

http://www.toms-place.lovelandnet.com/writing/pdf/pdft.htm
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 10:38:10 AM »
Rabbi, next time when "Fox Fishing" try Saki and a Norah Jones album.  Tejon stamp of approval!

Not a silver bullet but it's as close as there is I believe.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.