Author Topic: A new religion!!! (This is toooo funny...)  (Read 5553 times)

Preacherman

A new religion!!! (This is toooo funny...)
« on: September 10, 2005, 03:16:58 PM »
From the Sunday Telegraph, London (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=N3UQ2GKU4UVVNQFIQMFSM5OAVCBQ0JVC?xml=/news/2005/09/11/wfsm11.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/11/ixworld.html):

In the beginning there was the Flying Spaghetti Monster

(Filed: 11/09/2005)

In recent weeks, a satirical attack on the teaching of Creationism in American schools has become the world's fastest growing 'religion'. The Noodly Saviour looked at the furore He had created and pronounced it good, writes James Langton

A parody of the Sistine Chapel paintings

For a growing band of devoted followers, He is the Supreme Being; creator of the universe and all living things. To the rest of us, the Flying Spaghetti Monster looks like a giant heap of pasta and meatballs topped with eyeballs on stalks. As it turns out, both interpretations are correct.

In the past few weeks, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has become perhaps the world's fastest-growing "religion" and maybe its most improbable. While no one can be sure of the exact numbers of "Pastafarians", as acolytes are called, they may number in the millions.

All of which has come as something of a shock to Bobby Henderson, an unemployed physics graduate from Oregon. According to Mr Henderson, the FSM - as His Noodliness is sometimes known - "revealed himself to me in a dream". Like most mysterious prophets, Mr Henderson communicates with the outside world only occasionally, although this may be more to do with having only one telephone line to his home in the small town of Corvallis and a Google e-mail account swamped by hundreds of messages every day.

Not that he ever saw himself as a rival to Mohammed or Abraham. The divine inspiration that came to the 25-year-old one night earlier this year was originally intended as a satire on attempts by some Christian groups to change the way evolution is taught in science classes in some American schools.

In particular, Mr Henderson was taking aim at the concept of Intelligent Design, or ID, which provides a supposedly scientific alternative to the Old Testament belief that God created the world in six days and nights, but which dismisses most of the fossil record as false and which relies on the Earth being far younger than geological evidence shows.

Supporters say the universe is so complex that it can only be the work of a higher intelligence. They are pushing to have it taught in science lessons as an alternative to Darwin's theory of natural selection. It has the support of many leading conservatives, including Senator Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader, and President Bush, who has said ID has a place in the classroom "so people can understand what the debate is all about".

But while the "theory" relies on the existence of a god, it does not specify which god. It was only when the state of Kansas announced earlier this year that its schools could teach ID in science classes that the Flying Spaghetti Monster made Himself widely known.

In an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education in July, Mr Henderson wrote: "I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

"I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster."

He ends his letter with the telling comment: "I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

To support his account, he added a crudely drawn picture of the deity "creating a mountain, trees and a midget" and, as an afterthought, posted the whole thing on his website.

Barely three months later, Mr Henderson has discovered that he really has created a monster. His website - www.venganza.org - receives as many as two million hits a day. It has been featured on several widely read blogs, one of which is offering a $1 million (£545,000) prize for "proof" that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist.

Some of the faithful have created images of their Divine Saucy Leader, including one that reproduces Michelangelo's Creation of Adam, but with the image of the creator replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Some "Pastafarians" speak of the rapture that they felt when first touched by "His Noodly Appendage" or offer prayers that end with the word "ramen" - as in the Japanese noodle - rather than "amen". Others may have been drawn by a vision of Heaven that includes a stripper factory and a beer volcano and what its founder calls the church's "flimsy moral standards".

In addition, according to the creed of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, every Friday is a religious holiday, while true believers are urged to dress as pirates because of their founder's discovery of a causal relationship between global warming and a decline in the number of buccaneers in the past 200 years.

The serious message behind FSM, however, is not lost amid its bizarre mythology. Kansas has long been a battlefield between America's religious right and supporters of Darwin. In 1925, the Scopes Monkey Trial saw the state's unsuccessful attempt to stop the teaching of any aspect of evolution, including the theory that man and apes share a common ancestor.

More recently, conservatives have taken control of the state's board of education, pushing through a review of science teaching by a majority of six to four votes. The board is expected to endorse the teaching of ID next month, and other states are thinking of following suit.

Only three members of the Kansas School Board have replied to Mr Henderson's appeal to have Flying Spaghetti Monsterism placed on the curriculum - all of whom are opponents of ID, which they see as Creationism dressed up as a pseudo-science.

"I will add your theory to a long list of alternative theories I intend to introduce when it is appropriate,'' wrote one, Sue Gamble. "I am practising how to do this with a straight face which is difficult since it's such a ridiculous subject; it is also sad that we are even having the discussion."

It is a sentiment that Mr Henderson shares. "I don't have a problem with religion," he says. "What I have a problem with is religion posing as science. If there is a god and he's intelligent, then I would guess he has a sense of humour."

In his original appeal to Kansas, the physicist demanded that his pseudo-religion be given equal time in the classroom with both evolution and Intelligent Design. If rejected, he has promised to take legal action, with an offer of free help from at least one lawyer. Pedro Irigonegaray, who defended the teaching of evolution at the school board hearing earlier this year, says: "I have made myself available to the Spaghetti Monster as counsel of record, at no charge."

Of the thousands of e-mails Mr Henderson has received, he says that about 95 per cent have been supportive, while the other five per cent "have said I am going to hell".

One wrote: "It is interesting that evolution advocates use derision and sarcasm to deal with those who believe Intelligent Design." Another said: "I pray for mercy for you as you seem to feel so comfortable hurting and mocking the very creator who gave you the ability to do such. It's a little ironic."

Meanwhile, true believers can now order souvenirs from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, including T-shirts from $13.99 (£7.50), a coffee mug and a car bumper sticker. Mr Henderson says the proceeds may be used to fund the campaign or, in the best tradition of dubious cult leaders, to buy a yacht that he has long fancied. If the sales really take off, it may also help him avoid having to take up his only job offer so far since leaving Oregon State University - programming slot machines in Las Vegas.

Other recent developments include the discovery of a toasted cheese sandwich miraculously bearing the image of His Noodliness that sold for $41 (£22) in an eBay auction and a hymn whose tune at least will be familiar to members of the Women's Institute or England cricket fans. The chorus runs:

"Bring me my bowl of pasta gold!

Bring me my meatballs of desire!

Bring me my sauce with herbs untold!

Bring me my bolognese of fire!"

As for whether there will still be Pastafarians in 2,000 years from now, there are already signs of trouble ahead. Some of the faithful question whether their Noodly Saviour might be made of linguini rather than spaghetti. Such people, Mr Henderson says, "give me a headache".
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:14:44 PM »
Sorry.  
I have a tough time finding the humor in it, when it's satirizing me and others who happen to believe in the Intelligent Designer.

I like the fact that the ID folks are attempting to acknowledge and incorporate scientific fact without completely abandoning faith.
Guess we'll all find out, sooner or later.

YMMV.

'course, I could stand to lighten up a little these days.  I need a vacation.
Ben

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »
Figgy, ol' boy, I'm as much of a believer in Creation as any Christian - but I can still laugh at a really good satirical send-up of my beliefs.  It's no shame, and not a blasphemy, to see the funny side of things.  This just happens to be a particularly well-done satire.  Don't take it personally.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »
Something tells me that if Jesus himself were still physically around to see this, he'd get a chuckle out of it. Smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 06:47:03 PM »
Quote from: Preacherman
It's no shame, and not a blasphemy, to see the funny side of things.  This just happens to be a particularly well-done satire.  Don't take it personally.
I don't, Peter.  Sorry to be a wet blanket.

I've been wrestling a dentist friend's PC since Wednesday, and I'm frazzled, exasperated, and NEED to lighten up and smile a little.
They have a triple threat virus/trojan horse/spyware issue, no backup image, and vital patient data and billing info on this PC.

AAAAaaarrrrgghhh!!!!!!!!

Think I can get me some gold teefs outa dis, IF I can get this thing cleaned? Wink

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 09:08:27 PM »
I like the fact that the ID folks are attempting to acknowledge and incorporate scientific fact without completely abandoning faith.
Unfortunatly it seems as if they are both abandoning scientific fact, and creating a mockery of faith at the same time. Imagine the horror of a science curriculum designed by a public school commitee. Now imagine the absurdity of a religious curriculum designed by that same board, that is specificaly set up not to offend anyone. Now roll them all together into one unholy nugget of bad teaching. Life is hard enough for public school students without throwing this garbage at them*

*in case someone only reads that last sentace (and i know your out there) i was not reffering to Christianity or science as garbage, but to the way its being taught.

Edited to add: I think the FSM is pretty funny, and it does not offend me as a Catholic. Frankly, the fact that it is an *obvious* parody of a political makes it a far cry from any kind of blasphemy. Noone is seriously saying that this thing is your God, and even if they did, opposing religious theories are not blasphemy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 04:44:03 AM »
This is why being an atheist is so much better
Tongue
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

matis

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 05:55:07 AM »
Preacherman,

I am generally accused of "laughing at everything".  I see humor and often the ludicrous, all around me, even in the sombre and sacrosanct.  And even in the mirror.

But I don't find this very funny.

The creator of this satire intends to hurt, to damage religious belief.

Given the "culture-war" now raging, with everything that is "holy" under attack -- and with the barbarians largely winning -- why should we blind ourselves to the purpose and meaning of this satire?

In the sixties, in los Angeles, I used to read an underground magazine published by Paul Krasner, called the Realist.  I loved it then.

One issue featured a new religion that I cannot remember the name of, but of course it ridiculed Christianity.

Since crucifixion was a form of execution, this new religion brought things up to date by featuring as its symbol, the electric chair.  Adherents wore tiny replicas of the electric chair around their necks.  Instead of making the sign of the cross, they squatted, held out their arms on imaginary chair arms and made death rattles in their throats.

For the holy grail they substituted the holy hub-cap.

And so on.

As I wrote above: then I loved it.

Now I don't.  This is of course a bit more viscious satire that Pastafarianism, but the intent of both is identical.

I don't think it's being small-minded or lacking a sense of humor to see the power of this satire to (further) undermine religious belief -- and to reject it for this reason.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 06:02:49 AM »
If your religious belief can be undermined by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then I'm hazarding that your religious belief is probably terminally shaky to begin with.

I think it's a hoot.

LawDog

matis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 06:37:49 AM »
LawDog,

My religious belief CANNOT be terminally shaky.  To be terminal I believe it must first have been born.  I don't have religious belief, but that's a long story.

What I have developed is the awareness that, much as we hate to admit it, we are NOT basically rational creatures.  Religion encodes moral behavior and IMO Judeo-Christian religion produces the best society.  Neither the history of religion, nor of society is pretty to look at.  But that is not inherent to the religion, but rather to US, to our human nature.

For a long time I gloried in my atheism and laughed at the "pathetic" beliefs of the religious.  I no longer do.

Atheism might work fine for a truly rational race, but that is not us.

Humans can USE rationalism but are ultimately NOT rational.

I believe that religion is the best answer we have to the human condition.

As I now learn about my Judaism (which makes up at least 95% of Christianity) I am continually amazed and awed at what they knew about human nature and how well they mold and direct it.  And at how their seemingly superstititious beliefs bring out the very best in our human nature.  They do say that we are made in HIS image, don't they?

I don't mean at all to sound blaspemous, but whether G-d actually exists or he doesn't, this religion works.  As some famous person who's name escapes me right now said: "If G-d doesn't exist, we should have to invent him."

My turn began when my beloved daughter was born.  She and her mother are now ultra-orthodox Jews.  I was instrumental in bringing that about.  As I said, long story.  But when I look at the prevailing beliefs and mores of contemporary teen-agers, I thank G-d (grin) that she is not like them.

For dealing with the material, nothing can beat science and it has brought us the greatest blessings (this is fun).  For understanding who and what we are and what behavior brings about the best society -- it is useless.  For that ONLY religion works.

I certainly no longer see ANY answers in secularism.  Just look around you.

matis

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 11:58:43 AM »
Oh yea of little faith! I love it and my daughter loves his holy food, Spaghetti-O's
Career Corrections

matis

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »
Oh yea of little faith! I love it and my daughter loves his holy food, Spaghetti-O's

Hey telewinz!

Sorry, but I don't think spaghetti-O's are kosher to my daughter's standard.

matis

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 12:36:06 PM »
Quote from: LawDog
If your religious belief can be undermined by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, then I'm hazarding that your religious belief is probably terminally shaky to begin with.
Well said. I think that the absurdity of the FSM is deliberate for this very reason. Anyone who can get bent out of shape over something as silly as this really needs to reevaluate their priorities.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
I have to agree with FF and matis.  There is nothing funny in FSMism whatsoever.  It takes a sublime and complex reality, and reduces it to the point of mere absurdity.  Only the most willfully blind and ignorant will deny that the universe was created by the omnipotent combination Spaghetti & Pulsar Activating Meatballs (SPAM).  The heretical believers in FSMism will be sent into the depths of interstellar space, with only waxed-paper wrapping to protect them from eternal freezer burn!!!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 02:13:18 PM »
Quote from: Henderson
One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence
In order for this to be funny, it would have to be more intelligent.  It's witty, yes, but Henderson doesn't seem to understand Intelligent Design.  He seems to think that if ID is taught, then other religions should also be taught, as if ID is a religion, like his imaginary cult.  This is just basically wrong.  Intelligent Design only concludes that Biblical creationism, pastafarianism, or other religious explanations could be correct.  Intelligent design, whether or not it is a more valid theory than atheistic evolution, is scientific rather than religious, because it makes a conclusion (that life was designed by a guiding intelligence) on the basis of evidence (the complexity of living organisms, the lack of direct evidence for evolution, etc).

Quote from: Sunday Telegraph reporter
Intelligent Design, or ID, which provides a supposedly scientific alternative to the Old Testament belief that God created the world in six days and nights, but which dismisses most of the fossil record as false and which relies on the Earth being far younger than geological evidence shows.
Now this fellow is confused, too, and he is confusing me.  Who is dismissing the fossil record and promoting a young-Earth view, the ID'ers or the Biblical Creationists?  Neither group "dismisses" fossil evidence, even if they may interpret it differently than some.  I don't know that ID'ers take a young-Earth position.  By the by, when God comes into the picture, (and we can't know whether or not he is there) methods for dating the earth go straight out the window.  Just as Adam would have appeared to be, say, thirty years old, when he was actually only one day old, a created Earth would look much older than it is.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »
I believe in G-d.  I know that there is no way to prove G-d's existence.  But, and maybe this is a Jewish thing, but I don't feel that I have to be able to prove it, or justify it.  I'm not defensive about my beliefs, and I see no conflict between what I believe and what science can show me.

If we go back to the Renaissance and Copernicus, we see science finding logic and method in the natural world, which threatened to undermine the idea that G-d's works were eternally unknowable.  Many held the idea of a mechanistic universe, like a ticking timepiece designed by a Supreme watchmaker.  The Universe was tidy and neat.  G-d's mysteries would and could be revealed.

In 2005, we know more than we ever did, and the universe as we know it is messier and more puzzling than any religion could have possibly conceived.  We have chaos theory, which tells us that we can only have a general idea of a happening, not an exact one. Quantum theory tells us that once events and things get small enough, it is impossible to know all the facts, and that things that are impossible in the visible world are routine on the elemental level; that the Universe really did appear out of nowhere; that all matter and energy are really variations of a string-like vibration, a Sound, if you will; that all of Creation is more complex than we might be able to understand.  Every new discovery reveals more complexity. How then is science in conflict with religion?  How is discovery anti-G-d?

I don't keep fully Kosher, but I do refrain from pork.  Sure, I can justify and explain the dietary laws as logical ways of avoiding foods that could sicken or kill a person.  But modern pork is disease free, and leaner than a lot of the beef that's sold.  So I could eat it, right?  But I don't.  And I don't, because G-d said not to.  Even if the logical justifications for the prohibition are gone, i still don't eat it.  And by not eating it, I feel closer to G-d.  And there are many logical explanations for that feeling, too, and I can read them and understand the logic of them. But it does not lessen the feelings any less for my understanding them.  I still feel closer.

To me, Intelligent Design exposes weakness of faith.  I have doubts, sometimes-not about the existence of G-d, but doubts about involvement, or my place in all of it.  Working through them, asking questions and finding answers, I find my faith stronger.  It's like asthma.  The kids who get dirty and stick stuff in their mouths and noses and play in the rain catch colds, or sometimes worse-but almost none of them are worse off in the long run.  The sheltered kids, the one's whose parents attacked every dust mote, who got antibiotics with every sniffle-they're the weak ones, the ones with a chronic, always-threatening condition hanging over them.  Dirt and doubt both make you stronger.

And, which is the stronger belief:  The one where the sheer complexity and strange delights of the Universe leads one to conclude that G-d must exist, or one that stamps His existence onto everything, from the outside, so that no one ever really look hard for Him?

Sorry, but no pain, no gain.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 05:47:02 PM »
Intelligent Design only concludes that Biblical creationism, pastafarianism, or other religious explanations could be correct.
So has anyone actually come up with a way to test ID via the Scientific Method?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 06:36:17 PM »
Preacherman,

Methinks folks here have no sense of humor, and are wrapped somewhat too tightly.  As a faithful Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, who has even attended the seminary before switching over to the USAF, I have one thing to say about Pastafarianism:

rAmen.

Smiley

(In other words, if you can't laugh at yourself...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 06:47:11 PM »
What Lawdog said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 06:52:57 PM »
Antibubba,

That is really a very interesting post.  But I'm not sure how your remarks apply to ID or any other science of origins.

Justin,

I think I understand what you are asking.  It seems science can't really tell us about origins, as no scientists were there to see what happened.  And any explanation of origins immediately gets very religious.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 12:45:44 AM »
"The creator of this satire intends to hurt, to damage religious belief."

Too late, the Church and recorded history beat him to it.

"I don't keep fully Kosher, but I do refrain from pork."  

In ancient times no meat was safe.  Pork was banned because pigs eat the same foods as people, they would be in direct competition for a limited resource and would foster increased starvation on the poor.  A wise custom based on simple economics and survival of our species.
Career Corrections

Iain

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 02:54:13 AM »
Gewehr - I've been around long enough to get that joke. Twas good.

I'm with Lawdog. That was a very funny article, I was especially amused by the claim of a causal relationship between global warming and a decline in buccaneers.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

JRShirley

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 04:04:13 AM »
Pretty funny, Peter.

I'll take it over the ritualized cannabalism anyday...

John

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 07:59:22 AM »
As a Christian, I did not have any problem with the satire.  I thought it was hilarious.

And, of course The Creator has a sense of humor.  After all, He did invent sex...
To the stars!

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
This awesome satire has nothing to do with religeon, though it borrows the storyline from it.  It has to do with political and social power structures in education, and how to tweak said structures.

"Pastafarian"  "ramen"- c'mon, that's funny stuff. Smiley

love, james
Everybody loves Magical Trevor