Author Topic: Movies  (Read 882 times)

mhdishere

• friend
Movies
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:32:05 AM »
I've noticed that lots of times when people discuss movies I've seen they stay they were complete stinkers, while I often think they were entertaining.  I might be glad I rented it instead of dropping bucks for the theater, but it's seldom that I see a movie I think truly stinks.  In fact I can probably count the number of truly awful movies I've seen on the fingers of both hands.

Case in point: Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage.  I didn't think it was a great movie, but it was watchable.  It was most certainly not historically accurate, and the code-talkers themselves were pretty minor characters.  Still I could sit thru it and if there was nothing else on TV I might tune in if I didn't feel like reading.

I also like Plattoon and Apocalypse Now, although I don't pretend that either showed the reality of Viet Nam.

On the other hand I often find I don't care much for the movies that win Oscars, Titanic comes to mind, as does Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  I wouldn't say that either was awful, but don't think either deserved an Oscar.

So am I too easy when it comes to movies?  Am I easily entertained?  Or do I just lack taste?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:34:36 AM »
I dunno.  I have gotten some movies out of the library that were so bad I turned them off 15 minutes into the film.  I have had two I got from Blockbuster so bad that I actually asked for my money back.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.