Author Topic: Stolen UPS/FedEx/USPS packages left at doorstep.  (Read 4494 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Stolen UPS/FedEx/USPS packages left at doorstep.
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:51:19 AM »
I'm quite certain that I've just become victim to theft this morning.  I was woke by a sound from my storm door around 6:00am, followed by my German shepherd and boxer dog barking.  A couple seconds later, I hear a car pull off.  I thought little of it after checking it out and finding nothing suspicious.  

A couple minutes later, I realized that a package I had been waiting for (a surgical-black Arkansas stone for straight razor honing) was due in either yesterday or today.  I had forgotten to check the front door yesterday for the package before going to bed.  Just the thought of someone coming onto my property and taking a package of mine makes really evil thoughts cross my mind, but so far I've been fairly calm.
Though I'm still fond of the idea of leaving a box full of fleas from 1,000 camels for the next thieving bozo.  

I'm guessing I might have to cut that stone (which cost me $55) a loss if it doesn't arrive.
I'm expecting two more packages to arrive within the next week.  There's what I'd *like* to do (stand inside the door with a shotty for an attempted return performance) and what I *can* do.  I wrote a note for the next delivery which states that if no one answers the door, please TOSS the package OVER the fence INTO the backyard to let the dogs watch over it (until I come home/wake up/etc).  My dogs aren't destructive and won't molest the package and nothing I'm expecting is fragile or prone to water damage, so I think this is a good idea.

Is this something UPS, FedEx or USPS would do if left a note like that?  I understand these are strange instuctions, so I left my name and signature on the note and placed it in a conspicious spot.

griz

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:12:36 AM »
You can track packages online. Get the tracking number from whoever sent it. Call UPS instead of writing it off.

I would be cautious about getting them to throw something over the fence. Delieveries in an area are often handled by the same driver so you might be "training" that driver  to throw all packages over the fence. Even future fragile packages.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »
It's worth a shot, but nothing's a guaranteed.  I had one package arrive FedEx (I had signed the slip so that I wouldn't need to be home to pick it up) on a rainy day.  The guy wrapped the box in plastic, went around to the area below my back deck, and left it under the tarp over my grill.  He noted where he left it, and when I went to look at the delivery progress online there was a note on the page saying DELIVERED--BK DECK GRILL.  Couldn't have possibly been happier with all the things he did for me.

Then, another time, a different FedEx guy forged my signature and left several hundred dollars of RAM sitting on my front porch for anyone passing by to see.

As long as the note indicates that your package is incredibly not-fragile, though, you've got a good chance.  Heck, I'm sure most delivery guys would love to be able to toss a package somewhere and know for a fact they won't get in trouble for it Smiley

Greg L

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:26:46 PM »
One day I was sleeping late & the dogs were being good & not barking to go outside (they usually sleep in the garage enjoying the cool concrete).  When I got up I went out to the garage to let them out & tripped over a box that was sitting on the step next to the INSIDE door.  Talking to Dave (UPS guy) later he said that he had tried/opened the outside door & then stepped over the FOUR of them to set the box down.  He said that most of them woke up & twitched their tails a few times & went back to sleep.  It is useful to the story to know that he gives them treats about half the time that he shows up Cheesy .

I have a feeling that he would be perfectly safe robbing the place as long as his get away vehicle was the big brown truck Cheesy .