Author Topic: Hail the coming of LED Christmas lights...  (Read 3406 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Hail the coming of LED Christmas lights...
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
Okay, so they're not perfect, yet. The white ones are awful, they produce a cold whiteness more suited for a surgery suite. But the colored ones are just fine.

And it is SO SO NICE to just pull out a string of lights every year and they all work, and work forever!

No more "There's one out over here!" "Where?" "Here, too!" "I just changed that one!" "Oh, this one broke in the socket..."

smiley

member1313

Re: Hail the coming of LED Christmas lights...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:06 PM »
There are LED Christmas lights now?

Edited for not being in the Christmas spirit.

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »
I wish they had bright LED lights I could screw into a normal light socket.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »
I remember hearing about some city in California, I think it was, that installed LED lights on their Christmas town "Holiday" Tree (which happened to be out-of-doors).

They've had to replace them several times now.  Turns out, the squirrels are chewing on them.  The old incandescent lights apparently used enough electricity that when the squirrels chewed on the wires they got shocked, at which point they'd stop and amble off, leaving the circuit intact.  The new LED's don't use nearly as much electricity, however, so the squirrels don't get zapped, and they continue chewing until the wire either short circuits or is broken.   So instead of saving money on electricity, they're spending much more just replacing or repairing the lights.  laugh

They probably work very well indoors, however.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:26:55 AM »
The National Christmas Tree in DC is LED this year, and looks QUITE good, to boot.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:45:11 AM »
The NCT doesn't have the squirrel problem, as it is surrounded by Secret Service snipers.   cool
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:02:02 AM »
The NCT doesn't have the squirrel problem, as it is surrounded by Secret Service snipers.   cool

Now I'm picturing unsmiling men in suits, with earpieces, packing sleek Walther...airguns.  cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:34:02 AM »
This got me thinking last night for a rapid Xmas gift

lucky for me its for the Orthodox Christian Cousin

LED Mooninite wall sign!

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:52:08 AM »

Oh, crap. I better not bring any in to Boston. The Jewish people will get pissed I'm calling it "Christmas," and then people will think it's another one of those viral marketing ploys and call the police.

Not all of them will. 
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:53 AM »

Not all of them will. 

I don't know of any Jewish people who get annoyed at Christmas, and I have plenty as friends.
In Boston, Cambridge especially, it's the angry demonstrative-atheist liberals who do that.

Besides, (to Rob87) don't be unpleasant. This is about Christmas light technology, geez. Smiley

The oldest lights I can recall were those giant-sized ones that went outside, that the paint would come off of.

Quoted text edited out

atomd

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
Last year I switched to all LED ones. I bought 4 boxes of them from Home Depot for about $7 each. This year they are sold out everywhere. I went out to buy one more box and I couldn't find them anywhere. Everyone I spoke with said that they couldn't meet the demand for them.

Mine are super bright and I think they look great. I have no problems with them at all. I don't own any white ones (the multi-color sets don't have white) but I did see white ones that had a plastic covering around the LED that changed the shade so it wasn't so cold looking. It also changed the shape too. You can't go wrong with them. They use way less juice and are less of a fire hazard...plus you don't have to go around replacing the bulbs since they last so long.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:12 AM »
I hope the "don't be unpleasant" wasn't directed at me....I'm not unpleasant....I think it neat....

I was just a bit concerned, and couldn't decide if another comment was made with blanket anti-semetic overtones....or in jest....and I missed the humor, that's all.....
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 05:59:01 AM »
I hope the "don't be unpleasant" wasn't directed at me....I'm not unpleasant....I think it neat....

I was just a bit concerned, and couldn't decide if another comment was made with blanket anti-semetic overtones....or in jest....and I missed the humor, that's all.....

No, no, not at you. Smiley At the other poster who turned Christmas lights into something almost anti-semitic.

I clarified in the previous post, now.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:04:10 AM »
That's sort of the impression I got as well.

Rob, what were your intentions?

Did we miss a bad joke, or are the Jewish people, as a whole, ruining Christmas?
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
My absolute favorite Christmas light of all time were the GE Satin Brights that were available in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

They were absolutely gorgeous. A tree full of them was incredible.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »

Edited for not being in the Christmas spirit.

I want them.......testing and swapping out those tiny little bulbs annoy the Grinch out of me.....

I can't wait until we can have holographic Christmas trees.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
I'm not totally sold on the LED bulbs. For the higher price, I'd like to see some more durable cabling. The one's I've seen so far all have the open braid individually insulated "tanglefest" wiring just like the incandescents...

When they come out with a more light rope-like formfactor but in evergreen between the LED's, then I'll bite.
I promise not to duck.

member1313

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 05:50:33 AM »
Just to clarify: I'm NOT anti-semetic. In MA, there have been a few cases where a Jewish organization demanded that Christmas decorations in public be removed for being "offense" under threat of lawsuit. I should have been more clear about that, and I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone.

That's sort of the impression I got as well.

Rob, what were your intentions?

Did we miss a bad joke, or are the Jewish people, as a whole, ruining Christmas?
It was just a poorly-worded joke.

Wow, I feel like a jackass now. Sorry everyone. I definitely didn't mean that the way it came out....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 06:06:29 AM »
Just remember.

It's not OK to be anti-Semetic.

But it IS OK to be anti-Ex MA Hole.

laugh

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 06:18:28 AM »
That Ex-Ma Hole, he's a real...........

grin

No worries Rob.  I figured that there was more to this, which is why I gave you the chance to explain, rather than banning/ suspending/ having Irwin breathe on you....

I have little-to-no patience for racism.

You're all set, no worries.
One day at a time.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 07:09:15 AM »
If LED lights are as durable as claimed, I will switch in a heartbeat.  Who has owed a few strings for more than a couple of years and can attest?  Mine take a beating since we move about every other year...
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:56 AM »
Just remember.

It's not OK to be anti-Semetic.

But it IS OK to be anti-Ex MA Hole.

laugh

Is it OK to be anti-Symantec?  Windows One-Care is much better.....  grin

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

member1313

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
That Ex-Ma Hole, he's a real...........

grin

No worries Rob.  I figured that there was more to this, which is why I gave you the chance to explain, rather than banning/ suspending/ having Irwin breathe on you....

I have little-to-no patience for racism.

You're all set, no worries.
Phew. Thank you.

I have no tolerance for racism, either.