Author Topic: New Taurus Poly Protector inbound  (Read 3426 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: New Taurus Poly Protector inbound
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 12:11:31 AM »
I have a Taurus in 17 HMR, it has a 7" barrel I believe. It is one of the guns I used to take when shooting ground squirrels. It has a 2x scope on it and will shoot minute of coke can at 100 yds all day long. I have to say I was/am surprised at its performance.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
I also have a LCR in .38. The Ruger has correspondingly higher quality to go with the higher price of an additional $ 250 or so, and I would not argue that the Taurus has equivalent fit and finish to the Ruger. Nor does the Taurus have as good a trigger as the LCR, which is quite possibly amongst the best revolver triggers I have ever used in my 37 years of owning revolvers. In terms of functionality, I am of the opinion that the Taurus is the equal of the Ruger, and I prefer the front sight and the boot grip of the Taurus over the Ruger. I own more Ruger revolvers and S&W pistols than any other brand, and I also own Taurus revolvers and pistols since they offer things I cannot find elsewhere. Price is not a major consideration for me since I can pretty much afford to buy whatever I want. I wish that Taurus would bring back the titanium revolvers, since I would like to buy a few more of those. The Protector Polys are going to be in my 'tool guns' group, where functionality and ruggedness are my primary concerns.

I am also still holding my breath for Ruger to bring out a LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel, or for Taurus to do the equivalent. I can promise that will become my new trail gun for outdoor activities.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
I agree LCR trigger is second to none in modern factory revolvers*. I have the .38, am considering the .357 after I move. Is the Taurus boot grip way different than the Ruger boot grip (I'm assuming "boot grip is that smaller, roundish grip)? I actually prefer shooting with the fatty grip that came with mine, but it's not ideal for CC.

To go off on the typical APS tangent, I would love to see an LCR (or LCR type trigger) in something akin to the Charter arms .44 Special Bulldog.

* The best double action revolver trigger I ever pulled was when a guy at a defensive pistol class let me shoot his old Model 19 during a break. Holy hell, that was almost like a 1911 trigger pull.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
For the reasons listed in the OP (carry while doing physical stuff), a Taurus that functioned perfectly may be my choice as well.  That way, when it get's rusty and beat up, I don't feel bad about it, as I would with one of my "good" guns.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
For the reasons listed in the OP (carry while doing physical stuff), a Taurus that functioned perfectly may be my choice as well.  That way, when it get's rusty and beat up, I don't feel bad about it, as I would with one of my "good" guns.   :lol:

I thought that's what Glocks are for.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
I thought that's what Glocks are for.

=D

I actually see this as my revolver equivalent of a Glock.  One of the reasons I got it with the stainless steel hardware.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
Taurus poly revolver- too crappy to use as a gun, to light to use as a boat anchor.   =D

Just kidding.

Sort of.

If you got one that runs well, good for you.  I've had bad experiences with 3 Taurus revolvers.  I also have a Rossi/Taurus R92 lever gun that slicked up very nice and is a good shooter.  I'd give Taurus an A for their diverse product line, too bad their QC isn't up to the same level.