Author Topic: The reason for the Bill Of Rights  (Read 899 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
The reason for the Bill Of Rights
« on: December 15, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
On December 15, 1791, the first 10 amendments to the Constitution, later known as the Bill of Rights, were ratified.

The Preamble to the Bill Of Rights, which expresses the reason they were added:

------------------------------------

Congress OF THE United States

begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday

the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

And then follows those ten Amendments.

-----------------------

Bolding mine, and worth repeating...

in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added

Ayup.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:41:06 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
Re: Bill Of Rights Day
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
Stolen and put on Fecesbook.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 10:59:52 PM »
Yes ....they have been "misconstrued and abused,"   but there were those who did not care to put down a written Constitution.

Anyone wanna guess how long our republic would have lasted had they  prevailed? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
Yes ....they have been "misconstrued and abused,"   but there were those who did not care to put down a written Constitution.

Anyone wanna guess how long our republic would have lasted had they  prevailed? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Who were those?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:39:09 PM »
Yes ....they have been "misconstrued and abused,"   but there were those who did not care to put down a written Constitution.

Anyone wanna guess how long our republic would have lasted had they  prevailed? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Just a guess or two...  

Until the voting public discovered they could vote themselves largesse out of the public coffers...

Or until their representatives in the new representative republic discovered they could keep their cushy jobs by voting their constituents largesse out of the public coffers.

Just guessin'.  Per your request.

Terry

REF:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/5451872.Alexander_Fraser_Tytler
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:52:10 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
Stolen and put on Fecesbook.

Feel free.  The concept should be spread far and wide.  It seemed to me that most discussions of the Bill Of Rights (BOR) ignored that very important Preamble.

They were fond of writing Preambles, I guess. Just to firm up the "whys" of things.

Like this one:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Terry, 230RN