Author Topic: Biometric Gun Safes?  (Read 2463 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Biometric Gun Safes?
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:25:50 AM »
Do any of you use one of those biometric handgun safes like the NRA sells and that I see Gunvault now sells? I have a regular Gunvault, but am looking at getting a second one. I'm curious if anyone has, and likes, a biometric safe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Biometric Gun Safes?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
I think NRA selling those safes was a HUGE mistake.

NRA for years maintained, and still maintains, that that technology isn't good enough to be used to identify firearms to owners, yet they're using it for gun safes.

Yow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
Mythbusters totally defeated fingerprint locks using a number of simple methods.

A guy in Japan defeated them using melted gummi bears as the positive impression.

Absolutely not ready for the market.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:35:33 PM »
I trust these devices no more than I do the scanner at a grocery store checkout cash register.  It's probably just about as reliable if not less so.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:16:58 AM »
I've been working in high-technology areas long enough that I would prefer not to trust anything that requires *cheap* electronics . . . or batteries.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 05:26:19 AM »
Wife and I were looking at gun safes the other day, she liked one with a only a keypad on it, I asked her what happens when the batteries die. She said we better be looking at the ones with combo dial.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:03:15 AM »
Wow! 100% again' it so far! Smiley

I have dials on my big safes, but was just curious on the alternatives for the "quick open next to wherever I am" kind. Guess I'll stick to the regular ones, they're cheaper anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:46:11 AM »
Wife and I were looking at gun safes the other day, she liked one with a only a keypad on it, I asked her what happens when the batteries die. She said we better be looking at the ones with combo dial.

-C

The ones I've seen have a battery that can be replaced from outside the vault.  The secure electronics are stored inside, and are buffered so you can't just hook a device up to feed it the wrong voltage or automatically input codes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »

-C

The ones I've seen have a battery that can be replaced from outside the vault.  The secure electronics are stored inside, and are buffered so you can't just hook a device up to feed it the wrong voltage or automatically input codes.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.

I have seen a few combo safes that also have a key lock built in, but you have to have the tumblers set right to use the key, seems like a PITA to me.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »
Everyone I've seen with an electrically driven mechanism has a key override.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »
got 2  one i don't use has had same battery 3 years still works other ione get changed same time i do smoke detectors  both have key backup  comes with 2 keys

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »
I do use a quick access mini vault from ADG sports with an electronic combination lock, but mine has doubly redundant override mechanisms.  That mechanism is far more reliable than the scanners so long as one changes the batteries religiously, something which I can control (I can't make a scanner work better).

AntiqueCollector

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »
Thief might just cut off your finger to open it. That's what was done with this car:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/31/the-downside-to-using-a-biometric-car-lock/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »
Everyone I've seen with an electrically driven mechanism has a key override.

I looked at one the other day that way just like that, it was nice, what I needed and I may purchase it.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »
i like the ones that are 14 1/2 inches wide they fit in a stud bay and conceal great  with kids you can keep stuff handy but safe

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 04:25:39 AM »
i like the ones that are 14 1/2 inches wide they fit in a stud bay and conceal great  with kids you can keep stuff handy but safe

If you mean the V-line one, the "closet vault" that mounts into the wall between studs...the lock is extremely weak and can be popped with a screwdriver. In fact, it's so weak that it doesn't even qualify for the CA laws about secure gun storage, something even the $79 u-assemble cabinets passed. The V-line failed.

The State of California requires the following disclaimer for sales within the state.
V-Lines Closet Vault model is legal to use and purchase inside Calif. However it is not classified as a safe as defined by CA DOJ and is not a registered Firearm Safety Device, therefore it cannot be used for the purchase of a new firearm in the state of California

WARNING: This gun safe does not meet the safety standards for gun safes specified in California Penal Code Section 12088.2.  It does not satisfy the requirements of Penal Code Section 12088.1, which mandates that all firearms sold in California be accompanied by a firearms safety device or proof of ownership, as required by law, of a gun safe that meets the Section 12088.2 minimum safety standards developed by the California Attorney General.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 05:19:26 AM »
http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?pid=223076&step=5&prodstoreid=1453

i've used this one as well as a couple others  you need to hide em but for keeping kids from shooting each other they work good