Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving 2013  (Read 3518 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Happy Thanksgiving 2013
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all.  May your travels be safe, the food delicious and may you tolerate your family (if applicable.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
DittoX about a bazillion. For everything we a have to be thankful for, and a thousand time more. Happy Thanksgiving.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »
The wife and I are excited to have four days off together, which doesn't happen all that often. And for me, no chance of being called in to work, anymore.  =D And we're excited to get to take a long-ish trip together. We'll spend Black Friday on the road, hitting antique shops and gun stores off the main drag, as we make our way back home.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »
Somebody on the radio was saying that the average turkey-day meal weighs in at a bit over 3000 calories, not counting beverages and desserts.  With that in mind, remember to wear your stretchy pants.

I'm volunteering at the local hurstpital so some employee can have time with their family.  So if you call and want to be connected to Uncle Earl be a little patient - the last time I ran a switchboard there were corded plugs.  One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingies ....

But it's all good - I get a diabetic/heart-healthy turkey-type meat substitute product* meal for only $5.75 (including either decaf coffee or decaf iced tea).

stay safe.

* - guaranteed to not contain any soybean (or other legume), so as to be halal.  I cannot wait to find out what they ground up to make this.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:50:22 AM »
Just pulled the brisket off the smoker for the night.  I have to stay up late for it, but I don't have to eat any turkey, so it's worth it.

You guys enjoy dry tasteless poultry day with your in laws  =D. I got my 15lbs of smoky, spicy beef, and probably enough leftover for burnt ends this weekend.  For that (mostly the absence of turkey.  A pork shoulder would be fine, too) I am truly thankful.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:57:02 AM by Azrael256 »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »
At last - someone describes what e do band why we do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbMJ1JFMMSM#t=115

Confused between the Civil War and Thanksgiving?  :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 02:07:36 AM »
At last - someone describes what e do band why we do it.

Hah!  Stepdad is British.  We take him out for a McRib.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:27:57 AM »
I've got a 16# turkey and a 18# ham in the smoker. 2 loaves of sourdough bread proofing and 2 loaves of wheat bread cooling. I'll be making a batch of yeast dinner rolls in about an hour or so, they are about a 4 hour process.
The wife has pre-made a bunch of the usual fixin's. We're hosting this year since the wife's 90 year old grandma doesn't tolerate road trips. For the most part the in-laws that will be here are the ones I like so shouldn't be much issue there till they commandere my TV for some danged foolball game.

Does it make me a bad person if I've seriously contemplated disableing the satellite reciever for the afternoon? >:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
This is worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUint9Axwo

Find one thing they said (either the Brit or the American) that's factually accurate about Thanksgiving.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

castle key

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
Got a turkey in the smoker!

I upped the game this year. I wrapped the turkey in a bacon weave to keep it moist. Also, I recently got one of those cheating devices that has a computer gizmo, temp probes, and a fan to keep the smoker at the perfect temperature.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
May you all enjoy the feast of the Meleagris gallopavo!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
Heading to my mothers for turkey in a bit. My mother is not, shall we say worlds best cook.

I have to tote sides at least. Squash casserole, green bean casserole, fresh bread, and I took it upon myself to make pie. Pumpkin pie, sweet potato ricotta pie with toasted pine nuts, and Marlborough(Apple custard) pie.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
My gf and her family have this weird turkey tradition. It is currently in the over covered in breakfast sausage links.
No I'm not kidding, they are tacked all over it with tooth picks.
They come off after a few hours and are an appetizer.

So its just us her aunt, parents, and the parents neighbor. (shes got to be close to 90 and widowed)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
Heading to my mothers for turkey in a bit. My mother is not, shall we say worlds best cook.

I have to tote sides at least. Squash casserole, green bean casserole, fresh bread, and I took it upon myself to make pie. Pumpkin pie, sweet potato ricotta pie with toasted pine nuts, and Marlborough(Apple custard) pie.

Those both sound good, please let me know how they turn out ( taste wise).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2013
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
Marlborough pie is an old traditional pie, talking colonial through civil war but eventually gave way as custard pies became less popular. Lots of recipies online, stick with one from older sources and you're better off imo. On my phone now, ill post up a recipe I like when I'm back home with a keyboard.

Ricotta pie is a traditional Italian thing for easter. I decided on a whim to tweak the recipe and experiment a bit by making a sweet potato version...preliminary taste test is promising.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
Tried to harvest a traditional thanksgiving meal this morning. Ended up loosing an arrow, its still attached to the front shoulder of a deer that is probably still running across Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
i'm expected to show up around 3 at my bosses house where the glorious food will be consumed with people I spend more time with (and often get along better with) than family.
Louise is the only person I know that makes stuffing without celery so I can eat it! And gravy, and real *expletive deleted*ing green beans and mushrooms that arn't overcooked, drenched in canned soup and topped with those crappy fake onions, and mashed potatos and lots of turkey and the best goddamned pumpkin pie known to man!!!!
I'm drooling already.

Dad went to luray to spend it with his brothers and his insanly liberal sister in law who likes to pick fights with the two conservative christians at her table.
And her cooking pretty much sucks, so...

I definalty have the better deal this year. =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
Never cared to do the whole giant dinner thing, never really did it growing up either.

Normally I would go out to a sitdown restaurant and have a good meal but I'll there are a whole lot of *expletive deleted*ing idiots in town for thanksgiving and the Parris Island graduation yesterday so I'm not going to fight the idiots in traffic.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
And yet another year where mom drives my sister and I to drink.   She's on her second bottle of wine and I've done 4 or 6 Red Stags and Pepsi's.  

My sister and I do the cooking at at my parents.  They have a "two butt" kitchen and we do pretty good dancing around each other to get things done on the stove and in the oven.   However, our mother, who has precisely zero business in the kitchen along with being able to assist in a way, constantly comes in to see if she can help.  Despite being told "NO, we've got this."  8,238,945 times, she comes back five minutes later and asks the same question while standing in the one spot that is guaranteed to impede all progress and/or cause one of us to get burned (I've got three from today).   Screaming in pain has no effect on getting her to remove herself from the area and only encourages her to come back, apologize, and once again offer to help.

We do this every year, yet she still has not learned.   Red Stag, take me away.

P.S.  I hope you all have a joyous and filling ThanksHanukkah.   (The exchanging of gifts is up next.  There should be fewer 3rd degree burns for this event.)

P.S.S.  Horrycrap, that's a lot of red squiggles up there.   Not good, must fixate.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Never cared to do the whole giant dinner thing, never really did it growing up either.

Normally I would go out to a sitdown restaurant and have a good meal but I'll there are a whole lot of *expletive deleted* idiots in town for thanksgiving and the Parris Island graduation yesterday so I'm not going to fight the idiots in traffic.

It depends on the people and the cook.

My maternal family rocks in the people department. No matter the cause, those gettogethers are fun. The food can kind of go either way, but it's always good enough.

My paternal family is so so in the people department. They get along and it's nice, but not particulary amusing. The food, though, is pretty damn good. They all can cook, men and woman and they like to cook well. Not gormet or whatever fancy shmancy *expletive deleted*it, but good food cooked right.

My Dad's family is... Well, I think his SIL cooks once a year, on thanksgiving, and despite her yearly practice, it's not so great. The people are alright, but there are lots of awkward pauses and topics that can start hard feelings. So, it tends to end with someones (usually dads) bloodpressure going up.

My bosses are very similar to my maternal family in terms of attitude for holidays. Which is when the family (or whatever) gets together to celebrate, we *expletive deleted*ing celebrate. All drama, infighting and interpersonal BS is left at the door. You are there to eat and have a good time, and all conversation is kept to noncontroversial things or jokes and funny stories.
Plus, Louise can cook. The woman *expletive deleted*ing rocks the kitchen. Huge platters of everything, plus *predinner snacks that I can't *expletive deleted*ing spell and because I can't *expletive deleted*ing spell it I can't find it in the *expletive deleted*ing dictionary and this is really pissing me off!* and everyone stuffs themselves on lots of good food while having a good time.

If you can find the right group, it's worth while, but if you can't, meh, it's better to skip the crap and have a nice day to yourselve then suffer through a "holiday" for giving thanks when you just want to give someone a fist sammich.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
Had a pretty good day. Lots of good food with family and the one in-law that I can just barely tolerate didn't bother to show up.

Smoked turkey, smoked ham and plenty of stuff that prolly isn't a good idea to eat every day.

After eating a properly sized portion of food my brother, brother-in-law and I decided to burn a little powder. Took the 1874 Sharps .45-70 and the Henry .45-70 down to the back yard range. Punched a bunch of holes in the target witht he Henry using cast lead/smokeless powder loads then switched to the Sharps and BP loads I decided to show off a little and shoot my swinging plate. A 230 gr .45 acp load just rocks the plate at 25 yds. The 424 gr cast lead over 70 grs of FFg will shear off a silver dollar (old style) size peice of
3/8ths plate if you hit it too close to the edge (oops).
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving....and a good Black Friday to all....

...remember to bring your brass knuckles.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving....and a good Black Friday to all....

...remember to bring your brass knuckles.

As my coworker Megan says "It's F**k-Them-Up Friday!"

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
As my coworker Megan says "It's F**k-Them-Up Friday!"
more like *expletive deleted*ck it Friday. My ass ain't shopping nowhere.