Author Topic: Forget the 3D printer in your house  (Read 1719 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Forget the 3D printer in your house
« on: January 21, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/21/navy-helps-fund-3d-printing-buildings/?intcmp=features

Partially funded by the Office of Naval Research and the NSF, Countour Crafting is working on developing a building that is printed with a 3D concrete printer.  They want to be able to build a 2,500 ft2 building in a day.  The founder claims to be able to "print" 10,000 psi walls.

Link to Contour Crafting: http://www.contourcrafting.org/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Forget the 3D printer in your house
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
Pretty darned cool.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
a new age dawning!  that's amazing.

I wonder how they clean the "print" head?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
Free modern art statue with every house.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »
Wonder about the cost.  Bound to be hideous at the start.  Be interesting to see if can become cheaper than stick built.  It should as long the machines aren't still $megamillions after a few years.
Formerly sumpnz

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:51:06 AM »
a new age dawning!  that's amazing.

After using it for concrete?  Probably water, lots and lots of water.  A hammer & chisel if some sets in a way that's annoying/intrusive.

BTW, this tech is at least 5 years old, though this might mark a milestone.

One nice things I was reading is that all the supply lines - water, power, data, and such would be installed in pre-created conduit.  Makes upgrading easier.  I wonder if it'd be possible at that scale to utilize a multiple material print system?  I mean, right now 99% of 3D printers are mono-material.  I'm picturing about 4 materials going into a house - concrete, insulation, permanent plastic and temporary plastic.  Concrete for structure, insulation for energy savings, permanent plastic where concrete isn't appropriate(lining conduit slots, perhaps?), temporary plastic would be low-temp stuff that provides support for the rest where necessary(doors, windows?) until printing/curing finishes.  After the install you go in with heat guns/knives and 'carve out' the low temp plastic for recycling.  Keep it clean and that could be as simple as dumping it back in the melting-pot.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:34 AM »
don't forget extra heads so they can print the conductors and plumbing fixtures!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
don't forget extra heads so they can print the conductors and plumbing fixtures!

That would be nice, but conductors takes insulation, and not of the sort of plastic used in thermal 3D printing.  Plumbing fixtures would take porcelain, which again isn't that realistic yet.

There are some things that are still cheaper to buy and install.  Thing is, with conduit all over, installing electrical is dead easy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
This must use some sort of special blend of concrete that you can "pour" even a few inches without a form  =|

And how the heck do they keep that wall from collapsing until it cures  ???

Where is the steel reinforcing  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
This must use some sort of special blend of concrete that you can "pour" even a few inches without a form  =|

And how the heck do they keep that wall from collapsing until it cures  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7vtQlS_XQ
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7vtQlS_XQ

I still don't see what keeps the sides from blowing out.   =|

I've actually poured quite a few concrete walls in real life.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

towercam

• They're catching up.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
http://www.wimp.com/printerhouse/
Clearing the head might require a fire hose.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
I still don't see what keeps the sides from blowing out.   =|

I've actually poured quite a few concrete walls in real life.

http://www.3dprintingera.com/3d-print-your-house-in-a-day/

Jump to about 6:45 in the video to see an actual prototype concrete print head in action. Whatever it is they're doing, the lateral tensile strength seems to be pretty high, although I don't know how long between rows they're waiting, but it at least still looks to be "wet", and they've gotten several feet high (3-5'?) without any significant blowout or slump.

I'd guess at a minimum it's fiber reinforced, and low slump/no slump, since finishing or working time is effectively zero, as long as it pumps and it forms where the print head puts it, they don't care.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
So this thing could come in and build walls around your place real quick to keep out the zombies. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
So this thing could come in and build walls around your place real quick to keep out the zombies. 

Even better, print big concrete cylinders the width of your defensive line, propped up with temporary chocks you can just kick out and let it just act like a giant rolling pin.

I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »

Did you know that they have concrete that you can spray a lot like foam?  They use it to build dome homes.  You set up an outer 'shell' that becomes your vapor layer, inflate it, place your rebar(on the inside!) then you stand there and spray the concrete in to cover the rebar.  I'd give you a youtube link, but video is blocked here.

And how the heck do they keep that wall from collapsing until it cures???

The most recent version of the technology uses a different 3D printing technology to print supports/fill channels.  Before this they could only print vertically.  Then afterwards workers stop by and remove the supports.

The 'new' thing is fiber reinforcement - you put the loose fibers right into the mix and pour.  It's not quite as good as rebar, about the same as steel mesh, but you don't have to worry about it rusting out.  When you're spraying/3D printing in concrete, you don't use the cheap stuff.

As a bonus, the walls might actually last longer than steel reinforced concrete - the fibers won't corrode like steel would, making the structure last longer.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:23 AM »
Did you know that they have concrete that you can spray a lot like foam?  They use it to build dome homes.  You set up an outer 'shell' that becomes your vapor layer, inflate it, place your rebar(on the inside!) then you stand there and spray the concrete in to cover the rebar.  I'd give you a youtube link, but video is blocked here.

Yeah we have some friends that live in a house like that.   :lol:

I think they used something like wire bristles for reinforcing.  Actually, it is a combination of foam and concrete.  I think they sprayed the foam first (outer layer), let it harden, and then sprayed concrete on the inside.  Then peel off the outer layer for re-use, and spray some sort of weather coating.