Author Topic: Every wonder how long it will take a traffic light to change?  (Read 6147 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Every wonder how long it will take a traffic light to change?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
I too like roundabouts.

I understand the objections to them, which are namely that all other drivers are inattentive idiots, but I like more Darwinistic solutions in public space that aren't predicated on the least common denominators among us.  =D

Same here, except my town started sticking them in all over the place where the intersection was perfectly fine as uncontrolled, or in a spot where the traffic so heavy that one idiot at the roundabout screws it up for a huge number of people.

Also..  if building a roundabout - don't do a bunch of fricking tall landscaping the middle of it to where it obstructs the view of the traffic coming in other directions!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Good idea if the diameter is large enough.

The new one in front of our airport is ridiculous.  It is only about a (small) car's length between each ingress/egress.  You almost run into yourself going around.

Neither extreme is great.  Case in point, the giant traffic oval on US377 at Alta Mere and Southwest on the southwest edge of Fort Worth.  It's so damn big, you always feel like you've already missed your exit, and it just seems like the acre or more in the middle of it is a terrible waste.

Oh, and wrong way tire damagers should be mandatory, along with heavy fines and vehicle forfeiture for blocking the road with your freshly de-rubbered car.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 03:55:03 PM »
This is  close to my house- someone had a roundaboutgasm when they redid the road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Cabela's&fb=1&gl=us&hq=cabelas+richfield&cid=4107625942258610102&ei=AbnqUvT_BuexsQS4n4DoAw&ved=0CKsBEPwSMAo

We have some roundabouts, but ODOT decided to implement this intersection along one of the heavier state roads in the next county up.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ryx8S
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »
We have some roundabouts, but ODOT decided to implement this intersection along one of the heavier state roads in the next county up.

So there's no option to stay on Tylersville Road from either direction?

Major asshattery there on the engineers' part.  I predict a lot of very unhappy drivers who do such logical things as try to follow a single road from where they are to where they need to be.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
So there's no option to stay on Tylersville Road from either direction?

Major asshattery there on the engineers' part.  I predict a lot of very unhappy drivers who do such logical things as try to follow a single road from where they are to where they need to be.

Correct.  If you are traveling Eastbound or Westbound on Tylersville Road you must turn on to Route 4 Bypass, then make a legal U turn and go back the opposite way on Route 4 Bypass and then turn back on to Tylersville Road in the original direction you were heading.

ETA: Video demo of how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-lLBZbRqo
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
I recall a sci-fi story, might have been Heinlein, that had an artificial intelligence that derived from an automated traffic control system.  Maybe in LA? 

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »
IMO, a properly managed light or set of lights work just fine.  IMO, circles work well as long as the traffic isn't too heavy.  We have bad mix of agressive and overly-careful drivers here so I hate think how that would turn out.  

The lights that piss me off (or used to, they put in a bunch of overpasses recently) were the ones that were deliberately timed to prevent you from being able to cruise through the lights.  They deliberately stopped you at nearly every other light, I assume to make sure traffic didn't get going too fast.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Correct.  If you are traveling Eastbound or Westbound on Tylersville Road you must turn on to Route 4 Bypass, then make a legal U turn and go back the opposite way on Route 4 Bypass and then turn back on to Tylersville Road in the original direction you were heading.

Somebody's getting kickbacks from the striping paint and traffic light vendors.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
The lights that piss me off (or used to, they put in a bunch of overpasses recently) were the ones that were deliberately timed to prevent you from being able to cruise through the lights.  They deliberately stopped you at nearly every other light, I assume to make sure traffic didn't get going too fast.

Timed properly, they could keep traffic going right at the speed limit.  Timed poorly, as on SH121 where it now serves as a six lane access road for the Sam Rayburn Tollway, they just piss you off in an attempt to get you to pay for the tollway.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

Got something like that around here.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
There is one traffic circle that I get to go through every friday night.
I hate that stupid thing. I want lights and an intersection.

Someone ALWAYS trys to ram me around that thing, if I don't get to do some defensive driving in the circle, I get to do it right as I come out. All four corners have some sort of store. In that whole drive, the only place people get stupid is Gordensville. I think driving in loops causes perminate brain damage.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
Reminds me that I had this as my e-mail tagline when I worked at Airborne Express.

"Stop lights timed for 35mph are also timed for 70mph."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
I recall a sci-fi story, might have been Heinlein, that had an artificial intelligence that derived from an automated traffic control system.  Maybe in LA? 

You might be thinking of "Mike", Mycroft Holmes from "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". The IBM supercomputer that ran the Lunar city/penal colony systems that gained self awareness by having more and more systems and parts added onto him.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
Or some ghetto trash running through 30 mph over the speed limit 3 seconds after thier light went red- as was the case where I almost got killed a few weeks back.
Not just ghetto trash. I've lived in the Austin, TX area for some 17+ years now, and in my first three months down here, I saw more blatant red-light-running than in my previous lifetime.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »

That makes my head hurt.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Reminds me of two civil engineer dads that both work for the county in my son's cup scout den- they argue incessently about roundabouts, one loves them, one hates them.  :rofl:

They have roundabouts in Tijuana, Mx. They are a lot of fun and are like entering a race! I did some of them in my Laser and whooped them all!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
There is one traffic circle that I get to go through every friday night.
I hate that stupid thing. I want lights and an intersection.

Someone ALWAYS trys to ram me around that thing, if I don't get to do some defensive driving in the circle, I get to do it right as I come out. All four corners have some sort of store. In that whole drive, the only place people get stupid is Gordensville. I think driving in loops causes perminate brain damage.

I think I see the problem.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »
Part of me wants to get enough people together with full gas tanks and have line of cars continuously driving around a busy roundabout during rush hour.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »
Part of me wants to get enough people together with full gas tanks and have line of cars continuously driving around a busy roundabout during rush hour.

"Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament... again."
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
Part of me likes that idea a lot.  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
I think I see the problem.

There are four roads that lead into the circle. There is a store on both sides of three of the roads. Which, if you draw a straight line from store to store, you, more or less get a square with a circle smacked in the middle.

Like I said, it's a very stupid traffic whatever.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
The trouble is that they always add the roundabout after the fact - when there is too much stuff already built to make room for the circle.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
I've seen a few of those roundaboutgasms (SO stealing that). Great fun on the bike with little traffic. Absolute PITA with normal traffic in a car
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)