Author Topic: Things are so bad.....  (Read 17608 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Things are so bad.....
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 09:21:32 PM »
The things I like about Ron Paul, are the things that also kill his chances to be elected.  His support here is kind of ironic in many ways.

"In an October 11, 2007 interview with The Washington Post, Paul said, "There's nobody in this world that could possibly attack us today... we could defend this country with a few good submarines. If anybody dared touch us we could wipe any country off of the face of the earth within hours. And here we are, so intimidated and so insecure and we're acting like such bullies that we have to attack third-world nations that have no military and have no weapons."[17]

What...and kill the worlds largest government job creations program in the history of the world?  How does that fly with conservative right wingers who detest government funded job creation? Throw in the "War on Some Drugs" and you're talking trillions of $ and millions of jobs.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
The things I like about Ron Paul, are the things that also kill his chances to be elected.  His support here is kind of ironic in many ways.

"In an October 11, 2007 interview with The Washington Post, Paul said, "There's nobody in this world that could possibly attack us today... we could defend this country with a few good submarines. If anybody dared touch us we could wipe any country off of the face of the earth within hours. And here we are, so intimidated and so insecure and we're acting like such bullies that we have to attack third-world nations that have no military and have no weapons."[17]

What...and kill the worlds largest government job creations program in the history of the world?  How does that fly with conservative right wingers who detest government funded job creation? Throw in the "War on Some Drugs" and you're talking trillions of $ and millions of jobs. 

Yeah... conservatives favor a strong military because of all the jobs it provides...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
The War on Drugs is a heinous form of tyranny, but it does not cost trillions of dollars, nor take millions of people to enforce. Sadly.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

When you have open borders and flaccid leadership you don't need a great military to undo the greatest society on earth.  As we are learning.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
When you have open borders and flaccid leadership you don't need a great military to undo the greatest society on earth.  As we are learning.

America is not being undone.

Even in the present crisis, economic growth remains positive (if amazingly slow), crime is falling, lifespans are improving.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
Ah.  That's not "America."  You could cite the same things about a number of countries who, in the midst of the pockets of progress (we agree it's not all negative by any means), are, yes, decadent.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
America is not being undone.

Even in the present crisis, economic growth remains positive (if amazingly slow), crime is falling, lifespans are improving.

Your first sentence has nothing at all to do with your second sentence.  We ARE being undone.  That economic growth is a + is only a testament to the greatness that remains in our country, not what we'll have remaining in five or ten years. 
Crime is falling, I suppose because the bad guys can't afford ammo due to the recession, or gas to get around,  or things have gotten so bad other BGs have offed them already and they can't commit crimes because they are DEAD.
Lifespan improving?  Given what's to come .... that may be a curse.................... :'( >:D :mad: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »
There are many Americans doing their best, trying to keep America moving forward, but that doesn't change the fact that there are forces in play deliberately trying to subvert this country and that, unfortunately, they are succeeding.  We may still be better off than most of this planet, but we are not as strong as we used to be or as confident.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
The 1012 DOD and related areas budget is $1.0-1.5 Trillion.  You could give every American household a million bucks over a 30 year period with that amount, and still have one of the biggest (if not the biggest) military budgets in the world. It's ridiculous.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:45:35 PM by Lee »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »
If a candidate is not willing to do that, he's on the same side as Obama. Does anybody think Romney is willing to do it? People will now (unfairly in my mind) abandon Cain, who might have done. If people will not vote for Ron Paul because of things like the fictional "Islamic Threat", then who is left?

You don't understand. People won't vote for Ron Paul because he doesn't inspire confidence. To most people, he's just an old man with some curious ideas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 08:24:45 AM »
The 1012 DOD and related areas budget is $1.0-1.5 Trillion.  You could give every American household a million bucks over a 30 year period with that amount, and still have one of the biggest (if not the biggest) military budgets in the world. It's ridiculous.  

No, you couldn't.

The Census tells us there are 131,704,730 households in America.  At $1,000,000 each the bill for your fantasy would be $131,704,730,000,000.  Using your upper estimate of the DOD budget for all 30 years would be $45,000,000,000,000.

So not even close.  Stupid regurgitated soundbite.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
You don't understand. People won't vote for Ron Paul because he doesn't inspire confidence. To most people, he's just an old man with some curious ideas.

You may be right, but that damns the American electorate not Ron Paul, no?  What is Barack Obama except a middle-aged man with some VERY curious ideas?  Barack has better teeth and a more sonorous voice, I'll grant you that.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
....except a middle-aged man with some VERY curious ideas? 

I resemble that remark and I bet a lot of people here do.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »

I disagree.  He's not full of empty platitudes, unlike nearly every other person in the race.  The average American has stooped to a level of idiocy that demands platitudes, and free *expletive deleted*it.  And more laws.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »

Then they will get the government they deserve, no?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
I resemble that remark and I bet a lot of people here do.

I'm not so curious anymore.  I've found out more than I want to know and most of it is awful.  =(

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
Then they will get the government they deserve, no?

Problem with that is, the rest of us get that same government too, despite deserving better. [barf] [ar15]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
I apologize. Clearly, Ron Paul is special, and deserves to have us vote for him, regardless of his personal inadequacies. Though he doesn't seem like much of a leader, I should go ahead and follow him anyway. After all, I should be doing his job for him, right?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
I apologize. Clearly, Ron Paul is special, and deserves to have us vote for him, regardless of his personal inadequacies. Though he doesn't seem like much of a leader, I should go ahead and follow him anyway. After all, I should be doing his job for him, right?

Clearly, you prefer to follow some leader right off of a cliff.  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »

You go ahead and vote for Mr. MoreOfTheMcSame, if you truly believe he's better.  And don't complain when you get the government you ASKED FOR.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »

Yeah, wrong.  The DOD budget is no where close to 1-1.5 trillion.  Even if you include "related" areas.

The presidents 2012 budget request was:
Discretionary spending: $1.344 trillion (-3.1%)
$553.0 billion (+0.7%) - Department of Defense
$118.0 billion (-26.0%) - Overseas Contingency Operations
$79.9 billion (-1.8%) - Department of Health and Human Services
$77.4 billion (+6.2%) - Department of Education
$58.8 billion (+3.1%) - Department of Veterans Affairs
$49.8 billion (+0.5%) - Department of Housing and Urban Development
$50.1 billion (-0.9%) - Department of State and Other International Programs
$43.2 billion (-0.9%) - Department of Homeland Security
$29.6 billion (+4.2%) - Department of Energy
$28.2 billion (-7.2%) - Department of Justice
$23.8 billion (-7.1%) - Department of Agriculture
$18.2 billion (-6.7%) - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
$13.4 billion (-4.1%) - Department of Transportation
$14.0 billion (+0.8%) - Department of the Treasury
$12.1 billion (+0.3%) - Department of the Interior
$12.8 billion (-8.3%) - Department of Labor
$8.8 billion (-2.3%) - Department of Commerce
$4.6 billion (-6.2%) - Army Corps of Engineers
$9.0 billion (-10.3%) - Environmental Protection Agency
$7.8 billion (+4.6%) - National Science Foundation
$1.0 billion (-1.0%) - Small Business Administration
$1.3 billion (-11.1%) - Corporation for National and Community Service
$6.0 billion (+200%) - Disaster costs
$44.9 billion (-3.9%) - Other On-budget Discretionary Spending

So, let's add DOD, VA, and overseas ops together: $730 billion.  Or less than half of your upper bound, and 25% less than your lower bound?   Throw in dogmush's response, and your soundbite holds even less water.  Besides, if giving money to people from the govt was all that would be required to eliminate poverty, you would think the $10+ trillion we have already spend (which IS close to a million each for the lowest 10%) would have done it.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 11:21:12 PM »
Yeah my numbers are bad...I admit that.  So we're "only" talking $730 billion  a year...Chump change.  You pay for it.  I was trying to illustrate the immense number, not suggesting that we redistribute wealth...because we are already doing that with the $730 + Billion.  What's the CIA budget running these days (or does anyone really know)?  What are we sending to Israel...and Egypt and the other hundred countries we ship our hard-earned money to.  It's all well and good when some conservatives bitch about the government spending too much money, and taxing us too much, and creating jobs in other sectors, yet, they have no issue with spending ridiculous amounts of money that belongs to the other 75% of the population. How many trillions will it take to stop the next wave of box cutter wielding Arabs from attacking us...since evidently we will be required to pay to bring their countries into the 21st century as a result?    

BTW- I grabbed to original Budget from WIKI.

Budget Breakdown for 2012
Defense-related expenditure    2012 Budget request & Mandatory spending[18][19]    Calculation[20][21]
DOD spending    $707.5 billion    Base budget + "Overseas Contingency Operations"
FBI counter-terrorism    $2.7 billion    At least one-third FBI budget.
International Affairs    $5.6–$63.0 billion    At minimum, foreign arms sales. At most, entire State budget
Energy Department, defense-related    $21.8 billion    
Veterans Affairs    $70.0 billion    
Homeland Security    $46.9 billion    
NASA, satellites    $3.5–$8.7 billion    Between 20% and 50% of NASA's total budget
Veterans pensions    $54.6 billion    
Other defense-related mandatory spending    $8.2 billion    
Interest on debt incurred in past wars    $109.1–$431.5 billion    Between 23% and 91% of total interest
Total Spending    $1.030–$1.415 trillion   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:37:09 PM by Lee »

Lee

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 11:50:26 PM »
To get back to the Ron Paul topic -that's why he will never be elected. He believes that you don't spend money you don't have....regardless of the sacred nature of the prime beef.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:01 AM »
You go ahead and vote for Mr. MoreOfTheMcSame, if you truly believe he's better.  And don't complain when you get the government you ASKED FOR.

I didn't say any candidate is better, and I didn't say who I was voting for. Possibly no one. The point is, Ron Paul has failed us just as surely as the RINOs have. Those of us who oppose the Left are in desperate need of a leader, and he has failed to be that, just as much as Romney has. That's just the way it is.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
I'm not sure we need anymore "great leaders"

Seems like all the great leaders that we have had have gotten us into multiple wars and nearly ruined this nation: Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, ... :(

I'm ready for a non-leader like Coolidge, who shut down DC for the summer and went to Vermont on vacation  :lol: