Author Topic: NPR Article on Economics.  (Read 1899 times)

P5 Guy

NPR Article on Economics.
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:01 PM »
I'm not sure if this is political.
http://www.npr.org/
The Morning Edition Ayn Rand interview from 1959 is quite enlightening. Mike Wallace asking about the ideology behind Atlas Shrugged.
I've been saying this prediction is coming true and been blown off for it. Now look who is believing?
 :facepalm:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: NPR Article on Economics.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
Is this the article to which you are referring?

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/14/142245517/on-capitol-hill-rands-atlas-cant-be-shrugged-off

Direct links make commentary easier.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
A long dead and well watered down Rand is a fine and dandy thing.  Full on Rand, is bug house crazy.  From the article, a man's happiness is his highest moral purpose leaves unsaid that she redefined happiness.  Smoking is after all a moral obligation...   [tinfoil]
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:21 AM »
Did you guys hear about some of the DVD packaging for the Atlas Shrugged movie reading "self-sacrifice," when it was supposed to say "self-interest"?  I heard about it on NPR, and they actually managed to be accurate. It probably helped that the coverage was very brief.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/11/13/atlas-shrugged-dvd.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
A long dead and well watered down Rand is a fine and dandy thing.  Full on Rand, is bug house crazy.  From the article, a man's happiness is his highest moral purpose leaves unsaid that she redefined happiness.  Smoking is after all a moral obligation...   [tinfoil]

Someone who follows 95% of Rand's Objectivism, you wind up with a good Right-Libertarian sort.

Someone who follows 100% of Rand's Objectivism, you wind up with an irredeemable ahole.
I promise not to duck.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
I'd put that percentage around 30% to 40%.  The economics of self interest and attendant virtue [along with the inverse evils] being the crux.  Telling me what books to enjoy, the virtues of colors, who makes a proper mate [specifically], who I may associate with ect.... lets put that in the crazy pile.

Tho I am intrigued by her position on polyamory relationships.  My gf, much less so. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

P5 Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »
Today's was Hayek and the Austrian Economics School of Thought.
I find the most interesting aspect of these two articles is NPR is giving something other than Keynes a viewing.
"... the economy is too complicated for politicians ..." my favorite quote from the article, says it all for me. Now if the politicians would keep their hands off the market.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
Someone who follows 95% of Rand's Objectivism, you wind up with a good Right-Libertarian sort.

Someone who follows 100% of Rand's Objectivism, you wind up with an irredeemable *expletive deleted*.
Who will, nonetheless, not violate your rights.

I'm OK with that.
D. R. ZINN

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »
I find the most interesting aspect of these two articles is NPR is giving something other than Keynes a viewing.

Which is especially good since Keynesianism has not been the dominant economic theory (among economists) for going on 40 years now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought