Author Topic: Jack Daniels Owes "Entitlements"  (Read 4241 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jack Daniels Owes "Entitlements"
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Apparently some Lynchburg citizenry feel Jack Daniels doesn't contribute enough to the community by providing jobs and paying taxes just like everyone else. They want to assess a special tax that the community is "entitled" to. Michigan is enticing JD to move.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/17/michigan-lawmaker-tries-to-lure-jack-daniels-amid-tax-dispute-in-tennessee/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Jack Daniels Owes "Entitlements"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
"We are entitled to more money from the only industry in the county..."

Perhaps everyone else in the county should be entitled to the use of this man's house, car, wife, daughters, etc.

Does this idiot realize what he's saying when he says "only industry"? Doesn't he realize that "only" means that if they go, there's no industry?  :facepalm:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
What do you expect from a place that can't buy the beverage that makes them famous.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
I haven't bought any JD since they reformulated some years ago (proof went down, but not price) but I'd buy some Jack Daniels's Michigan Whiskey if they told Mr. Rogers (heh ;/) and company to stick it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
Jack Daniels of Flint, Michigan?

Lots of work for marketing types.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
Jack Daniels of Flint, Michigan?

Lots of work for marketing types.

Maybe then we could BR a job there and then she could supply us with all we need. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Someone should remind those morons about Aesop's cautionary tale about such dealing.

The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg
An Aesop Fable

A man and his wife owned a very special goose. Every day the goose would lay a golden egg, which made the couple very rich.

"Just think," said the man's wife, "If we could have all the golden eggs that are inside the goose, we could be richer much faster."

"You're right," said her husband, "We wouldn't have to wait for the goose to lay her egg every day."

So, the couple killed the goose and cut her open, only to find that she was just like every other goose. She had no golden eggs inside of her at all, and they had no more golden eggs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
JD in Comstock Park, Mi.  Good fit.  Good beer made there too.  Plus I'm moving there. :laugh:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
So, assuming that the distillery is lien free, here's the plan. Bottle all the stuff currently ricked up. Slap a "limited edition" label on it. Find your employees a place to work in another town. Burn distillery to the ground. Sell "limited edition" whiskey for 3 times the going rate. Get rich on the book and media tour.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
Burn distillery to the ground.

A la Midas Mulligan and Ellis Wyatt?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
A la Midas Mulligan and Ellis Wyatt?

Well, we already have the Midas Mulligan: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904480904576498442951766826.html

Guess a version of Ellis Wyatt is going to be inevitable.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
If I were Jack Daniels, I would threaten to open up another distillary in Kentucky or Georgia and start shifting production there.  Pay their fee for the time being if no resolution is found, maintain a good memory of the event.  If after the other distillary is open, the county wthdrawals the tax... just say No, unless  the county pays them to be there.  They are already are good "citizen" company.

The shift would result in laying off people from in and around Lynchburg and essentially doom the county.  There is little else in that county except farming.  Lots of distillaries in KY and lots of good springs in GA that should meet their specs.  Keep the Distillary in Lynchburg as the tourist site.  If necessary, move the headquarters.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
The only issue is what would it cost them to take truckloads of the water they use, which the claim is inherent to the taste, to the new place?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
If there were some bright people in Virginia, they'd point out there's a perfectly good town of Lynchburg in this state, and we prefer to encourage business rather than punish it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Keep the Distillary in Lynchburg as the tourist site.

If they would do that, they should have restaurants, gift shops, etc on the grounds so the town wouldn't make much if anything from visitors.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »
If there were some bright people in Virginia, they'd point out there's a perfectly good town of Lynchburg in this state, and we prefer to encourage business rather than punish it.

Drinking the water in Lynchburg, VA, you first. Come to think of it, maybe something extra would improve the taste of Jack.  >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 02:04:58 AM »

Heh. Heh. "Lynchburg Virginia...home of Jack Daniels and Liberty University" - Maybe Jerry Falwell jr. and Tommy Beam could get together to do a joint promo for the town.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
The new slogan - "God's own drunk".

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
The county politicians voted to drop the whole issue.  http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/proposal-to-tax-jack-1237118.html
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
I didn't see total amounts until Slingshot's article link. JD already pays $1.5 MILLION in property tax and the county wanted to hit them with an additional $5 MILLION in local taxes. If this had passed, JD would have been morons to stay in Lynchburg.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
The county politicians voted to drop the whole issue.  http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/proposal-to-tax-jack-1237118.html

Too bad....I'd have loved to see the Jack Daniels label change from Lynchburg, TN to Luckenbach, TX....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.