Author Topic: EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration.  (Read 4075 times)

MechAg94

• friend
EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration.
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration.  EU officials concluded that, following a three-year investigation, there was no evidence to prove the previously undisputed fact.

A meeting of 21 scientists in Parma, Italy, concluded that reduced water content in the body was a symptom of dehydration and not something that drinking water could subsequently control.

Now the EFSA verdict has been turned into an EU directive which was issued on Wednesday.

Get out Britain.  Get out now!!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
The EU is just Europe's way of flushing the toilet on themselves.  Tony Blair, a liberal labor party person, said that the people of the EU need to weaned of the entitlement mentality.   
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
And buy stock in Brawndo.

It's got what plants crave.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »
It's got what plants crave.

But what are electrolytes, do you even know!?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
But what are electrolytes, do you even know!?

They're what they use to make Brawndo.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
They're what they use to make Brawndo.
And they do the body good.  

I honestly couldn't figure out how they got 21 scientists to say that.  It makes me wonder what specific question they answered.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
And they do the body good.  

I honestly couldn't figure out how they got 21 scientists to say that.  It makes me wonder what specific question they answered.

Well, if you read the article you linked, or at least the last few paragraphs.  :P  Apparently, the specific question was whether drinking bottled water was necessary to avoid dehydration.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
Split Topics.

Here is the actual ruling: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/1982.pdf

Apparently this ruling was issued back in February 2011.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:30:15 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Well, if you read the article you linked, or at least the last few paragraphs.  :P  Apparently, the specific question was whether drinking bottled water was necessary to avoid dehydration.

Even tho the assertion was lower the risk...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
"This just in... Scientist say that eating food will not prevent starvation. News at 11!"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
That Dihydrogen Monoxide is dangerous stuff.  Should be banned. :laugh:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
I hear submethyl hydroxide is even worse for you. Why is there nothing being done about these dangerous chemicals in our water supply? Think of the children!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »
Maybe whisky would be better  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
and those Europeans think they are so smart.  lol

shades of bent bananas

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »

I saw that, but I still think it is a silly ruling. 

Maybe these guys are wine drinkers and can't stand the thought of drinking straight water.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
"Prof Brian Ratcliffe, spokesman for the Nutrition Society, said dehydration was usually caused by a clinical condition and that one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking water."

What is "adequately hydrated" to them?  A day?  A week?  Of all the things to get a group of people together to research to benefit humans, this really doesn't top the list of things that come to mind.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:26:39 PM »
"Prof Brian Ratcliffe, spokesman for the Nutrition Society, said dehydration was usually caused by a clinical condition and that one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking water."

What is "adequately hydrated" to them?  A day?  A week?  Of all the things to get a group of people together to research to benefit humans, this really doesn't top the list of things that come to mind.
I guess they are officially a completely urban society where lack of drinking water is incomprehensible. 

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »
If one ate enough apples/grapefruit/celery/other high water content foods one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking straight water.  But the "study" is still assinine.
Formerly sumpnz

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
I guess they are officially a completely urban society where lack of drinking water is incomprehensible. 

No, Mech, they're idiots.  Complete and total idiots.  Europe officially attained unable-to-face-reality status about a decade ago, and they just knocked it up a notch to velcro shoes, special buses, and an inability to feed themselves.

Sorry EU friends, but your pan-european betters just proclaimed that water is not wet.  Eject now before they start to make Zimbabwe look enlightened.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
If one ate enough apples/grapefruit/celery/other high water content foods one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking straight water.  But the "study" is still assinine.

Sure. If all you did was sit around in a cubicle all day. Exposure to low humidity and/or high temperature environments -- or simply engaging in strenuous physical activity -- changes that pretty fast.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Has anyone taken a break from the EUphobia to realize that the FDA would make EXACTLY THE SAME ruling here in the US?

As far as the FDA is concerned, there are food products and there are drugs and there are non-drug supplements. Bottled water is clearly a food product and cannot be labeled to cure or treat any disease.

The only reason this didn't happen in the US nobody tried it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »
If one ate enough apples/grapefruit/celery/other high water content foods one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking straight water.

By the same logic, the fact that most people don't derive any significant part of their food intake from MREs would indicate that MREs (or HDRs) cannot prevent malnutrition.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
I think they are just trying to deal with the severe shortage of public bathrooms in the EU.
I welcomed dehydration in Italy, since the honor of using a bathroom usually included spending $75 on a meal or snack.