Poll

Would you like there to be a stolen gun data base you could access to make sure you aren't buying stolen property?

Yes
9 (45%)
No
11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Federal stolen gun database accessable by the public  (Read 13504 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Federal stolen gun database accessable by the public
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
There have been a couple real deals I've passed on because I wasn't 100% confident I was getting a clean gun. More just a hinky feeling than anything else.

It would have been nice to be able to go online and check a database just to be sure.

Thoughts? 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Federal stolen gun database accessable by the public
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Again, Eh. one more database fed.gov can pay to upkeep, and misson creep later.

If I want the gun, I buy it.  If, down the road, I find credible evidence that it was stolen prior to my ownership the owner can contact me and we'll work something out.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
No.

There's not a federal stolen car database.  Or a federal stolen computer database.  Or a federal stolen cell phone database.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
Nope. Sick of government databases.

If a gun is stolen, better that it goes to me instead of a criminal.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Question:  Lets say I buy a gun/stereo/iPad/whatever off Joe Public.  I pay my money, get the product and a receipt that has the general binding elements of a contract written on it.  If it turns out later that the item was reported stolen, am I liable for criminal charges?

Second question:  If Joe Public agrees to sell me a gun for a great price, can I have it transferred for a nominal fee at the local gunshop on a 4473 if I wish?  Will the shop in question check the guns SN in that case?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
Question:  Lets say I buy a gun/stereo/iPad/whatever off Joe Public.  I pay my money, get the product and a receipt that has the general binding elements of a contract written on it.  If it turns out later that the item was reported stolen, am I liable for criminal charges?

Second question:  If Joe Public agrees to sell me a gun for a great price, can I have it transferred for a nominal fee at the local gunshop on a 4473 if I wish?  Will the shop in question check the guns SN in that case?

When I worked at the gun counter, the SN of the gun did not go to NICS, only long gun or handgun.

That store only sold new guns.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »

IANAL, but I believe you can only be charged with receiving stolen property if you knew it was stolen. They would still take the gun back, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
IANAL, but I believe you can only be charged with receiving stolen property if you knew it was stolen. They would still take the gun back, though.
However, if you buy a glock 17 from a guy in an alley for $100, they may try to say you should have known.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
However, if you buy a glock 17 from a guy in an alley for $100, they may try to say you should have known.   =D

False alley-gations  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
No more mother *expletive deleted*ing gov't databases.  I am OK if they *expletive deleted*it can the ones they already have.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
I get the dislike for government databases.

Yet I don't get the resistance to collating the stolen gun information into a system that keeps us from inadvertently receiving stolen goods.

Not to mention, it just might facilitate gun owners getting their stolen guns back.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
I think that people oppose the idea because they consciously or unconsciously understand that a stolen-gun database only makes sense when there is gun registration.

Otherwise, anyone can report any gun 'stolen'; the information will be worthless.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
Information is power. Power, once created, will be exercised to gain more power. This is a human truth, so valid that the exceptions (Cincinnatus, Washington, et al.) stand out vividly. A faceless, amorphous bureaucracy will misuse information, no matter how beneficial or noble the original purpose.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
I think that people oppose the idea because they consciously or unconsciously understand that a stolen-gun database only makes sense when there is gun registration.

Otherwise, anyone can report any gun 'stolen'; the information will be worthless.

That doesn't even make any sense.

There is no need for a full gun registry in order to have a single point of reference to check whether or not a gun is hot or not.

Chances are if any of us had a gun or guns stolen we would provide the cops with make/model/serial numbers in hopes of getting them back. A stolen gun registry is something the police should have already just to help track down the thieves who stole them!

Giving the public access to such a system keeps the honest honest and keeps the crooks from preying on the law abiding by selling them stolen goods.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
A stolen gun registry is something the police should do have already just to help track down the thieves who stole them!

The Ay Tee Eff already keeps a record of all weapons reported to them as stolen.  Making that database publicly accessible should not be a problem.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
No.

There's not a federal stolen car database.  Or a federal stolen computer database.  Or a federal stolen cell phone database.

Ummmm, actually there already is .

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ncic

The NCIC database currently consists of 21 files. There are seven property files containing records of stolen articles, boats, guns, license plates, parts, securities, and vehicles. There are 14 persons files, including: Supervised Release; National Sex Offender Registry; Foreign Fugitive; Immigration Violator; Missing Person; Protection Order; Unidentified Person; U.S. Secret Service Protective; Gang; Known or Appropriately Suspected Terrorist; Wanted Person; Identity Theft; Violent Person; and National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Denied Transaction.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:39:44 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.