Author Topic: To combat a "crisis in roadway deaths "  (Read 312 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: To combat a "crisis in roadway deaths "
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 02:58:35 PM »
So if a situation arises where you need to run a mother *expletive deleted*er over (such as a mostly peaceful but fiery protest) is this system going to prevent that?

Because if so I can see a nice new tactic that will debut in the always delightful and wonderful inner cities where the upstanding members of society sometimes forget they were on the way to church and accidentally hijack and murder drivers. Only accidentally of course.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 06:38:08 PM »
Folks are already stopping and *expletive deleted*ing with the autonomous cars using a traffic cone.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 07:08:31 PM »
So if a situation arises where you need to run a mother *expletive deleted*er over (such as a mostly peaceful but fiery protest) is this system going to prevent that?

That's actually an interesting tangent, as we've often talked about your vehicle being your best defense if you accidentally take a wrong turn into an antifa riot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 11:03:35 PM »
I despise the AEB system in every car I've driven that's had it.  It triggers at inappropriate times far too often.

How difficult is it to bypass/delete?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 11:46:33 PM »
How difficult is it to bypass/delete?

Enough that for the short time I drove them it wasn't worth it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:53:19 AM »
Automobile deaths really are a crisis, a bigger one than almost anything you hear on the news. There's a thousand simple things that could be done to fix it, many of them cheap or free, and guaranteed to work. But in late-stsge America, this is what we actually get...a "solution" approved by the industry being regulated and more or less guaranteed not to fix the crisis.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: Today at 10:51:32 AM »
So if a situation arises where you need to run a mother *expletive deleted*er over (such as a mostly peaceful but fiery protest) is this system going to prevent that? . . .
You know, putting on my tinfoil conspiracy hat for a moment   [tinfoil] . . .

You raise an interesting point. I can't help but wonder if maybe, just maybe, someone behind this law hasn't thought of that, and considers it a feature. After all, there ARE people in .gov (including, sadly, part of the LEO community) that has allied itself with the thug class . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:21:46 AM »
I don't know if my Tacoma will auto-brake for collision avoidance.  It will buzz at me if the forward radar thinks I will hit something.  Usually it is someone turning right ahead of me.  I am timing it so they will be off the road by time I pass by, but the computer can't tell that. 

The biggest annoyance is with my cruise control.  It maintains following distance and will brake to do that.  That can be nice on the open interstate, but doesn't work well in heavier traffic.  It doesn't always do a good job of only looking in my lane.  The best example is a highway that is curving to the right, but there is a turn lane on the left side.  The cruise control will think the guy turning left ahead is in my lane and start braking hard.  It is somewhat slow to recover and get back up to speed.  So it acts like an overly cautious driver.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge