Author Topic: Nick Brown Smelled Bull  (Read 1036 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Nick Brown Smelled Bull
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
http://narrative.ly/pieces-of-mind/nick-brown-smelled-bull/

A plucky amateur dared to question a celebrated psychological finding. He wound up blowing the whole theory wide open.

A long article but helluva good read.

To sum up:
IT guy looking for a new career takes a psych course and smells bull.  Tracks smell back to origin where a psych researcher used a formula's variable names (and their mathematical relation) from fluid mechanics to state that you need at least 2.9013 positive emotions for every negative emotion to flourish as an individual or as a team.  I am not making this up.

IT guy then brings in a doctorate in psych and a physicist known for debunking bunk to write an article pretty much destroying the entire branch of psychology known as "positive psychology."

Along the way, learn that psychologists are not good at math.  Or science.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Nick Brown Smelled Bull
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
Very nice. Gonna have fun with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Nick Brown Smelled Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »
Crime and psychology - the situation is always fluid.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin