Author Topic: Rand Paul on drone strikes (live feed)  (Read 4777 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Rand Paul on drone strikes (live feed)
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Live feed of Rand Paul's filibuster on the nomination of Brennan as CIA director and the application of drone strikes in the US. Lots of interesting points discussed.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Rand Paul on drone strikes (live feed)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
He's doing it "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" style.

:clap:  ETA: why is there not a clap smiley?

I haven't checked the live feed, but news reports say he's gained a few sympathizers who may help keep the filibuster going.  I'm not sure how the rules work to yield the floor back and forth to each other without giving up control.
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »

I haven't checked the live feed, but news reports say he's gained a few sympathizers who may help keep the filibuster going.  I'm not sure how the rules work to yield the floor back and forth to each other without giving up control.

The facebook post his office put up said "Mr Paul Goes to Washington"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
Side-benefit: they were scheduled to start talking gun control 25 minutes ago. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »
Side-benefit: they were scheduled to start talking gun control 25 minutes ago. :D

Ha!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
This is a direct result of years of hard work on the part of Rand Paul supporters and Ron Paul supporters who have campaigned for this man, and who have built the network of activists who got him elected.

Long-haired wookie-suiters made this happen.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

Senate rules say he can yield for questions, but only HE can yield the floor even after a question is asked.  Basically, as long as he can keep talking, periodically yielding for questions, he can stay.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
Is there any time limit on each question?  And does he have to remain standing during the asking of a question?

Mr Smith: "Blah, blah, blah... {3 more hours of blah} blah"

Senator Q: "Are you saying "Blah3hr?"

Mr. Smith, who in the meantime has peed into the conveniently-located carboy, eaten a sandwich, and drank some water, "Yes, in fact it's even worse than that, blah..."

and they go back and forth for days.
"It's good, though..."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »
Is there any time limit on each question?  And does he have to remain standing during the asking of a question?

Mr Smith: "Blah, blah, blah... {3 more hours of blah} blah"

Senator Q: "Are you saying "Blah3hr?"

Mr. Smith, who in the meantime has peed into the conveniently-located carboy, eaten a sandwich, and drank some water, "Yes, in fact it's even worse than that, blah..."

and they go back and forth for days.

Nope, no time limit AFAIK, and yes, that is why its important a fillibusterer has help.  Days is hard.  Addressing the chamber does require the person to stand.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »
This is a direct result of years of hard work on the part of Rand Paul supporters and Ron Paul supporters who have campaigned for this man, and who have built the network of activists who got him elected.

Long-haired wookie-suiters made this happen.

Indeed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:23 PM »
Senate rules say he can yield for questions, but only HE can yield the floor even after a question is asked.  Basically, as long as he can keep talking, periodically yielding for questions, he can stay

Yep. It's an old tactic and one really not seen that often before. Thurmond had the longest filibuster, lasting for 24 hours. http://www.businessinsider.com/longest-filibuster-in-history-strom-thurmond-rand-paul-2013-3
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:25 PM »
Yep. It's an old tactic and one really not seen that often before. Thurmond had the longest filibuster, lasting for 24 hours. http://www.businessinsider.com/longest-filibuster-in-history-strom-thurmond-rand-paul-2013-3

And the purpose of Rand's is a little easier to put in the history books :)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
The twelve hour filibuster ended with loud applause in support of Rand Paul.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Good deal. I just want to say *expletive deleted*ck LINDSAY GRAHAM. That POS has been involved in every traitors move of the RINOs. We keep trying to get rid of him, hopefully next election cycle.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!

Because it's always fun to give the Republicans a scapegoat after they field terrible candidates!
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2013/mar/7/graham-mccain-blast-paul-filibuster/

McCain and Graham think Rand Paul is abusing Senate rules, and the question doesn't even deserve serious consideration.

;/

Which means someone in the continental US is going to get lit up by a hellfire within the next 12-18 months.

And our Statist warlord betters are going to compel us all to applaud it with a rousing chant of "U-S-A!  U-S-A!" =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2013/mar/7/graham-mccain-blast-paul-filibuster/

McCain and Graham think Rand Paul is abusing Senate rules, and the question doesn't even deserve serious consideration.

;/

Which means someone in the continental US is going to get lit up by a hellfire within the next 12-18 months.

And our Statist warlord betters are going to compel us all to applaud it with a rousing chant of "U-S-A!  U-S-A!" =|

They better hope that when they do it, it doesn't get out.

Mark my words. If they hellfire a US citizen on US soil without trial, there will be violence
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »
Posse Comitatus Act?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
They better hope that when they do it, it doesn't get out.

Mark my words. If they hellfire a US citizen on US soil without trial, there will be violence

Watch for it right after November 2014.  It'll be festooned in patriotic "yay DHS" bunting for the first week or three.

Too late for the citizenry to vote in an impeachment Congress.

Probably too late to uncover the real story while Obama is still POTUS.  Look how long it took to get to the bottom of F&F.

And as long as they obfuscate the true reasons and true ramifications past the typical attention span of such an action, there won't be extralegal ramifications like you're talking about.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
Lotta weasel words in that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
Also a lot of explicit language.

"weaponized drone"

Nothing about CIA spooks, ATF snipers (Horiuchicoughcough), or other resources.  Or just on purpose accidentally smashing a non-weaponized drone into somebody's home or vehicle or particular 4 sq ft of space they might be consuming at the moment.
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
Nothing about CIA spooks, ATF snipers (Horiuchicoughcough), or other resources.  Or just on purpose accidentally smashing a non-weaponized drone into somebody's home or vehicle or particular 4 sq ft of space they might be consuming at the moment.

What's the cost of a drone versus a Hellfire missile?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »

And could it be improvised as an incendiary if you were, say, wanting to avoid assaulting a structure, perhaps in the mountains of California as an example?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »

About 2 orders of magnitude.  A hellfire (not the only missile, btw) is $100k-ish, and a reaper is $10M, with a predator A being like $5-8ish