Author Topic: Gawd! They NEVER give up  (Read 4818 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Gawd! They NEVER give up
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/12/08/california-drought-cause-noaa/20095869/

Synopsis: A NOAA scientific study shows that the drought in California is being caused by weather, and that the dry cycle contradicts the computer models of what [alleged] damage we should expect as a result of global warmingâ„¢. Right on cue, the true believers jumped right in and condemned the study and the report.

Some outside climate scientists criticized the report, saying it didn't take into effect how record warmth worsened the drought.

"The authors of the new report would really have us believe that is merely a coincidence and has nothing to do with the impact of human-caused climate change?" Penn State meteorologist Michael Mann wrote Monday in The Huffington Post. "Frankly, I don't find that even remotely plausible."

Never mind that what's happening is totally different from what the computer models predicted as a result of human-caused climate change.

"This study completely fails to consider what climate change is doing to water in California," wrote Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. He said the work "completely misses" how hotter air increases drying by evaporating more of it from the ground.

This year, California is having its warmest year in 120 years of weather records, the National Climatic Data Center reported Monday.

Peer-reviewed studies are divided on whether the drought can be blamed on climate change.

Translation: The science isn't settled.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Gawd! They NEVER give up
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »
Too many true believers involved in this stuff, and that is the actual researchers, not just the non-scientists.  

Stuff like this makes me wonder what other branches of science are also being affected by true believers.  (Like archeology or anthropology).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:04:35 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
[quote"The authors of the new report would really have us believe that is merely a coincidence and has nothing to do with the impact of human-caused climate change?" Penn State meteorologist Michael Mann wrote Monday in The Huffington Post. "Frankly, I don't find that even remotely plausible."][/quote]

If you're being criticized by Michael Mann, it likely means your science is sound.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
It thought the drought was caused by some judge ordering the reserviors drained to save Pelosi's pet fish?

Too Hot? Global Warming
Too Cold? Climate Change
No matter what? Mankind's fault.

Total BS.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:34:38 AM »
It thought the drought was caused by some judge ordering the reserviors drained to save Pelosi's pet fish?

Too Hot? Global Warming
Too Cold? Climate Change

Total BS.

So for a change it isn't fistful's?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
Stuff like this makes me wonder what other beaches of science are also being affected by true believers. 

The Beaches of Science!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »

Too Hot? Global Warming
Too Cold? Climate Change

Total BS.

You forgot that the REAL cause is the money in YOUR pocket; the only cure is to transfer it from YOUR pocket to the pockets of Al Gore and others of his ilk.

That's the whole point.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
Can deserts have droughts?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »

The Beaches of Science!
Yeah, like the Beach of Physics, Beach of Biology, Beach of Bikinis, etc....

Thanks for catching that.  I know I was tired, but auto-correct sucks sometimes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
What esle would you drink?  There certainly isn't any water. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »

I know your are being a smartass but, depends how you use the word drought, drought basically means less moisture/precipitation. Say a desert gets 2" of rain average precipitation and the last 2 years it has gotten only 1" of annual precipitation, I would say it is in a drought.

I describe some soils as droughty because they have a low water holding capacity, not because there isn't enough rain in the local climate.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
Too many true believers involved in this stuff, and that is the actual researchers, not just the non-scientists.  

Stuff like this makes me wonder what other branches of science are also being affected by true believers.  (Like archeology or anthropology).

Kind of hard to transfer wealth because of dinosaur bones or old indian arrowheads.....

Climate change is just newspeak for wealth redistribution.  That is the end goal.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
I know your are being a smartass but, depends how you use the word drought, drought basically means less moisture/precipitation. Say a desert gets 2" of rain average precipitation and the last 2 years it has gotten only 1" of annual precipitation, I would say it is in a drought.

I describe some soils as droughty because they have a low water holding capacity, not because there isn't enough rain in the local climate.

If most of the 'moisture' is originating from the Colorado River, its less of a 'drought' problem, and more of a problem with water usage outstripping supply.
Its more of an economics issue- perhaps the price of water is low enough that there is more demand than supply?

Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
If most of the 'moisture' is originating from the Colorado River, its less of a 'drought' problem, and more of a problem with water usage outstripping supply.
Its more of an economics issue- perhaps the price of water is low enough that there is more demand than supply?

Yep, I still don't understand why someone wants to live in a place where one of the basic essentials for life is normally in low supply.

Or why someone wants to grow water dependent food where water is limited except by artificial means, i.e. growing corn in western Nebraska under pivot irrigation or cotton in Texas Panhandle. Just because you get the proper growing degree days, doesn't mean you should grow it there. You may get it to grow there by using ancient water from the aquifer but eventually that water will run out because the withdraw is greater than the recharge.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
Looking at a map there's this giant blue thing just west of California.  I bet with a little work, it could supply all the needs to of the people of California, if only there was some way to remove the salt. [/facetious]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Looking at a map there's this giant blue thing just west of California.  I bet with a little work, it could supply all the needs to of the people of California, if only there was some way to remove the salt. [/facetious]

During the last drought in '96, locally, the county and progressives went wild with the idea of a distillation facility. To the point of getting it 95% built, then the '97 El Nino hit, we had more rain than we knew what to do with, and they mothballed the plant. Now they are back to wanting to "un-mothball" it (which is gonna cost a bundle due to the sitting and disrepair).

Of course now it looks like we're going to have at least a minor El Nino this year (we've already gotten nearly 5 inches (rain season starts in OCT) and a couple more are coming this week), so I predict they'll now talk about how it's not worth it to bring the plant online. Until the next drought, when the panic will start all over again.

Hello, weather.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
During the last drought in '96, locally, the county and progressives went wild with the idea of a distillation facility. To the point of getting it 95% built, then the '97 El Nino hit, we had more rain than we knew what to do with, and they mothballed the plant. Now they are back to wanting to "un-mothball" it (which is gonna cost a bundle due to the sitting and disrepair).

Of course now it looks like we're going to have at least a minor El Nino this year (we've already gotten nearly 5 inches (rain season starts in OCT) and a couple more are coming this week), so I predict they'll now talk about how it's not worth it to bring the plant online. Until the next drought, when the panic will start all over again.

Hello, weather.

I wonder what the per gallon cost of water is when the plant is running.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
I wonder what the per gallon cost of water is when the plant is running.

I'll see if I can look it up. As I recall, it was high, but still marketable. Part of the higher cost was it being a small plant for local supplemental service. Larger infrastructure would bring the price down significantly.

Edit:  I couldn't find any per HCF amounts, but found this:

"The city would pass on the cost to water users by as much as $14 to $20 on the average monthly bill," the report said.

I currently pay $5/HCF with a $13/mo meter charge.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:57:54 PM by Ben »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
The problem is paying for desalinated water would mean the local politicritters can't steal as much money from the local water bills to pay for pet projects.  I can't say this is happened everywhere, but I know it happens in a number of big cities.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
Kind of hard to transfer wealth because of dinosaur bones or old indian arrowheads.....

Climate change is just newspeak for wealth redistribution.  That is the end goal.
Yeah, but that is just the political side of it.  The true believers in acedemia and science aren't just screwing around with climate change research.  I am just concerned that evidence and information is missed and/or overlooked because the researchers are not open minded or expect the evidence to fit their preconceived ideas.  At least when it comes to weather, it is pretty obvious when they get it wrong. 

Hell, I have probably seen similar behavior in operating chemical plants so it isn't an uncommon fault. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
The problem is paying for desalinated water would mean the local politicritters can't steal as much money from the local water bills to pay for pet projects.  I can't say this is happened everywhere, but I know it happens in a number of big cities.

Hell, in the last place I lived, the village was pushing for a tax on the square footage of roofing/patio/sidewalks/driveway as a 'runoff tax.' Water where I lived was darned near inexhaustible, yet quarterly water bills were still $250 on average, due to all of the fees/taxes added to it. The actual water charge on a bill was around $40-50.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
I'll see if I can look it up. As I recall, it was high, but still marketable. Part of the higher cost was it being a small plant for local supplemental service. Larger infrastructure would bring the price down significantly.

Did that also factor in the sale of the salt?

I've occasionally wondered why places along the Dead Sea seem to prefer open evaporation ponds to collect salt, rather than using cheap greenhouses as solar stills; get both the salt and some pure water for not much more investment.  Done right, you could even keep a flow going through the length of several, harvesting the water along the full length, while concentrating the salt more and more until the solution is saturated and easier to deal with.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
IIRC, I remember reading that the PTB in 1920's California recognized that there were periods of  drought lasting several years.  So they built the various reserviors to hold enough water to last ten years of drought. 

Fast forward to the 2012 and let's release enough water to supply the Silicon valley for two years.... in the middle of a drought.

Morons.  The lot should be put up against the wall.

http://spectator.org/articles/40982/emptying-reservoirs-middle-drought

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Morons.  The lot should be put up against the wall.
Hold on.  Only the CIA can do that now.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
You are all wrong.  The drought is caused by a HAARP attack by the PTB.  They just switched it off because a huge storm is headed to the upper left coast.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon