Author Topic: What We Don't Know Won't Hurt Us  (Read 4832 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What We Don't Know Won't Hurt Us
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:15 AM »
John Kerry says everything would be okay if terrorism would stop being put in the news.

Media Should Cover Terrorism Less—"People wouldn't know what's going on."

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2016/08/29/what-john-kerry-has-an-idea-to-ease-the-publics-terrorism-fears-hes-got-to-be-kidding/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: What We Don't Know Won't Hurt Us
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »
Remember, also, that President Obama has said that the U.S. can easily absorb another terrorist attack as well.

The elites don't really care about the plebs. The people doing the "absorbing" aren't important to them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
Remember, also, that President Obama has said that the U.S. can easily absorb another terrorist attack as well.

The elites don't really care about the plebs. The people doing the "absorbing" aren't important to them.
On 9/11, the 4th plane was probably headed for the Capitol or the White House . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
I imagine they are trying to comment on the hysterical wall to wall media coverage that often accompanies these events and can magnify their impact.  However, the quotes make it appear they want to censor the news which would be a horrible idea.  I think they do want to censor the media.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
I think they do want to censor the media.

But only the part that isn't actively working to swing the election to Hillary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
But only the part that isn't actively working to swing the election to Hillary.

So only about 5% would be censored.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
On 9/11, the 4th plane was probably headed for the Capitol or the White House . . .

And do you think the Secret Service wouldn't have gotten the President out of the White House? It's the lowly plebs who'd have suffered the brunt, even of that attack.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
And do you think the Secret Service wouldn't have gotten the President out of the White House? It's the lowly plebs who'd have suffered the brunt, even of that attack.

GWB wasn't in the White House at the time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATjvty5p8k

But your point is taken.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
POTUS was in Florida at the time . . . and I'd be surprised if they could have cleared the "important" .gov buildings, since nobody was prepared for a kamikaze attack.

Not even the Pentagon.

(Angel Eyes beat my post by just a bit.  ;) )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
POTUS was in Florida at the time . . . and I'd be surprised if they could have cleared the "important" .gov buildings, since nobody was prepared for a kamikaze attack.

Not even the Pentagon.

(Angel Eyes beat my post by just a bit.  ;) )
.....but they didn't have to be ready because there wasn't a 747 sized hole in the building so it must have been an inside job.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
I imagine they are trying to comment on the hysterical wall to wall media coverage that often accompanies these events and can magnify their impact.  However, the quotes make it appear they want to censor the news which would be a horrible idea.  I think they do want to censor the media.

I would agree with them somewhat  (not the censoring part, but the "tone it down" part) if they weren't ginormous hypocrites. "Hey media! Stop exaggerating the terrorist threat and causing a panic!" "Hey media! We need more exaggerated coverage on ZOMG global warming! We need panic!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
I would agree with them somewhat  (not the censoring part, but the "tone it down" part) if they weren't ginormous hypocrites. "Hey media! Stop exaggerating the terrorist threat and causing a panic!" "Hey media! We need more exaggerated coverage on ZOMG global warming! We need panic!"

I was just reading some news article the other day, that mentioned the alleged " alarming increase in gun crimes." (Or some phrasing very much like that.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »

The point would be, I think, that we're spending more resources, ineffectively, to combat such a low level of terrorist attacks that it is indeed "cheaper", even in human life, to absorb them.

Or do you support sacrificing freedom in the name of ineffective security?

It's like how the anticipated casualties from a dirty bomb are mostly from the panic - not the actual bomb or contamination.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
The point would be, I think, that we're spending more resources, ineffectively, to combat such a low level of terrorist attacks that it is indeed "cheaper", even in human life, to absorb them.

It's like how the anticipated casualties from a dirty bomb are mostly from the panic - not the actual bomb or contamination.

Are the resources being spent ineffectively because we are aware of the terrorism? Or are they being spent ineffectively because we've tied the hands of the people who we have trained to kill people and break things? (As well as the people who enforce the laws, but are supposed to try not to kill people and break things.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »

Again something I would agree with, but not coming from the likes of Kerry or Obama.

My most used line when arguing with the "safety over all" people is that "freedom is dangerous". I accept the danger. I accept the chance that I might be blown up on a plane in exchange for no TSA and other security theater. The Obama's and Kerry's though, want us to "absorb" but also want us to accept "safety" over freedom.

Obama has had eight years to dismantle the TSA. He has had eight years to eliminate all the intrusions that Edward Snowden brought to light. He has done none of that. I have to get wiener groped by TSA every other time I fly, but we have no problem letting 10,000 "vetted refugees" into the US from countries where there are no records to vet.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
Are the resources being spent ineffectively because we are aware of the terrorism? Or are they being spent ineffectively because we've tied the hands of the people who we have trained to kill people and break things? (As well as the people who enforce the laws, but are supposed to try not to kill people and break things.)

I think the idea is that due to the constant news about terrorism, we get people panicking and reaching for anything.

And it's not the door-kickers I'm talking about.  The TSA, for example, are explicitly not door kickers, but are expensive and ineffective.

We turn those resources into hiring actual police and we'd save lives by catching criminals faster.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »

Laughed.  Then Cried.

Again something I would agree with, but not coming from the likes of Kerry or Obama.

My most used line when arguing with the "safety over all" people is that "freedom is dangerous". I accept the danger. I accept the chance that I might be blown up on a plane in exchange for no TSA and other security theater. The Obama's and Kerry's though, want us to "absorb" but also want us to accept "safety" over freedom.

Obama has had eight years to dismantle the TSA. He has had eight years to eliminate all the intrusions that Edward Snowden brought to light. He has done none of that. I have to get wiener groped by TSA every other time I fly, but we have no problem letting 10,000 "vetted refugees" into the US from countries where there are no records to vet.

Yeah, I laughed at that, too.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »
We turn those resources into hiring actual police and we'd save lives by catching criminals faster.

Or there's even a free option; eliminate a lot of the malum prohibitum crap on the books and have the existing police focus on things that actually harm others.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »

Cheapest solution:
Keep them out, deport those here.  Kill those that get frisky.  Miller time.

Doubtful. 

We had two skyscrapers get knocked down in 2001 and the people in Manhattan did just fine getting off the island or going to ground if they lived on the island, to include an impromptu Dunkirk operation between NYC and NJ. 

These "anticipated casualties from panic" surmises seem to come from folk and organizations that might be a little less necessary if it turns out folk are more level-headed and self-organizing than they suppose.  See "Cajun Navy" for a recent example and the Mississippi River flooding in Iowa & Illinois after Katrina, where folk managed to take care of themselves with little drama.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
We had two skyscrapers get knocked down in 2001 and the people in Manhattan did just fine getting off the island or going to ground if they lived on the island, to include an impromptu Dunkirk operation between NYC and NJ.

IMO, the problem would come from a bioterror event, with infected people leaving the area and spreading the infection.  Then you'd risk having any travelers shot on sight in certain areas in attempts to keep it out.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Or there's even a free option; eliminate a lot of the malum prohibitum crap on the books and have the existing police focus on things that actually harm others.
What have you got against fund raising?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
I think the idea is that due to the constant news about terrorism, we get people panicking and reaching for anything.

Umm ... "See something, say something"?

I can't think of any slogan/program that could possibly be more geared toward stoking people's paranoia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »
IMO, the problem would come from a bioterror event, with infected people leaving the area and spreading the infection.  Then you'd risk having any travelers shot on sight in certain areas in attempts to keep it out.
If you want to look at something that is hyped, but never happens, look at nuke and bioterrorism.  It is worth, but taking some care with, but a handful of terrorists with box cutters took down two skyscrapers.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »

And it's not the door-kickers I'm talking about.  The TSA, for example, are explicitly not door kickers, but are expensive and ineffective.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I am damn well sure Obama/Kerry/Clinton have no intention of doing anything that makes sense.  IMO, all they would do is censor the news, do more useless CYI actions, and try to profit/benefit from the media hysteria around the next attack. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »
If you want to look at something that is hyped, but never happens, look at nuke and bioterrorism.  It is worth, but taking some care with, but a handful of terrorists with box cutters took down two skyscrapers.

And that had never happened until it did.

Frankly, it'd be a lot easier to infect a few "refugees" with ebola or similar right before they get shipped to civilization, and could play merry hell with all sorts of things...especially since they needn't even know they're infected until symptoms start, so no amount of questioning or background checks would identify them.  For that matter, one willing martyr playing coyote at the Mexican border could be seeding the southwest with unwitting Catholic vectors who have no connection to the Middle East at all.  Several coyotes could self-infect in series as each one becomes symptomatic to keep the job going for weeks.