Author Topic: Trump on the shootings...  (Read 4847 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Trump on the shootings...
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
Well here we go
Trump says there is “an appetite” for an “increased layer of background checks”
He’s ready to cave.  Universal background checks anyone?
“First they came for the bump stocks....”

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Trump on the shootings...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
I think we can say universal background checks for everyone for everything. I am hoping we don't end up with a universal 10 day waiting periods. The pace of incremental policies/rules/laws will start moving quite a bit faster now that there is blood in the water with a President who will cave.

bob

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/8/all-info

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1112?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22hr+1112%22%5D%7D&s=7&r=1

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A%22116%22%2C%22source%22%3A%22legislation%22%2C%22search%22%3A%22gun%20control%22%7D&searchResultViewType=expanded

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »
If I had to make a bet, my money would be on nothing actually getting passed/signed. Maybe some executive action.
I might hedge my bets a little bit though.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
If I had to make a bet, my money would be on nothing actually getting passed/signed. Maybe some executive action.
I might hedge my bets a little bit though.

Lol still backing your guy huh?  He’s about to sell us all out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:29:09 PM »
I'm not backing Trump. I believe he's willing to sell us out on background checks, and probably more.

That said, I don't think he'll follow the classic "go first on a compromise and let them back out" that R presidents are so fond of. He's going to want some real concession on the border to sign gun control, probably in the same bill.  I don't think Congress can get that done.

If he frames it right on Twitter, he can hang it on the demos. R's were ready to make real progress on compromise on two issues, and Pelosi couldn't get her people to do it.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
I'm not backing Trump. I believe he's willing to sell us out on background checks, and probably more.

That said, I don't think he'll follow the classic "go first on a compromise and let them back out" that R presidents are so fond of. He's going to want some real concession on the border to sign gun control, probably in the same bill.  I don't think Congress can get that done.

If he frames it right on Twitter, he can hang it on the demos. R's were ready to make real progress on compromise on two issues, and Pelosi couldn't get her people to do it.

If he gets what he wants, or even a step in the right direction on the border and immigration there is no way gun owners come out of this unscathed. Common sense gun legislation will be how he frames it.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
Has anyone seen what the Rs are suggesting for "universal"? As in, are they looking at stuff like "all private party sales" or "all private party sales/trades excepting immediate family", or what? "Universal" seems pretty nebulous right now, and not in a good way.

If it's all private party sales, dammit, I have a bunch of guns I want to sell or trade. If they are requiring FFL transfer for private party sales, I'm assuming it will be something that takes 60 or more days to kick in. If so, I'm tacking up a list of guns at the gun club the day after they announce it. FFLs are probably gonna charge 20 bucks or so per check. That can add up fast.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 06:11:41 PM »
Has anyone seen what the Rs are suggesting for "universal"? As in, are they looking at stuff like "all private party sales" or "all private party sales/trades excepting immediate family", or what? "Universal" seems pretty nebulous right now, and not in a good way.

If it's all private party sales, dammit, I have a bunch of guns I want to sell or trade. If they are requiring FFL transfer for private party sales, I'm assuming it will be something that takes 60 or more days to kick in. If so, I'm tacking up a list of guns at the gun club the day after they announce it. FFLs are probably gonna charge 20 bucks or so per check. That can add up fast.

Look at the HB8 That I linked above, I would bet that is what will be forwarded, it has already passed the House so it is good to go as far as they are concerned. The Senate Rs will cave and pass it as it is because it just makes sense.

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »
Lol still backing your guy huh?  He’s about to sell us all out.
??? I'm not sure who you think "my guy" is.
It's just the numbers in the senate.
Supporters of universal background checks for gun purchases face a daunting reality in their demand for a snap Senate roll call: They don’t have the votes; not even close.

The last real gun debate came in early 2013 — after the Sandy Hook shooting, in which 20 students and six school employees were killed — and ended in a filibuster deadlock. The Manchin-Toomey proposal fell five votes short of the 60 needed to defeat a filibuster: Four Republicans broke ranks to support the compromise background-check bill, while four conservative Democrats opposed it.

In the ensuing three elections, the Democratic caucus’s ranks dropped from 54 to 47 senators.

It didn't happen last time, I doubt it will this time.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
Word in the political back rooms I frequent around work is that the NRA is viewed as losing power in DC.  The board controversy, the infighting, etc. has led a lot of DC politicians to believe that the NRA no longer represents the same voting block it once wielded as a sword.  The congress critters that feared the NRA even after Sandy Hook with a Dem in the White House aren't afraid now.  And Trump apparently thinks he doesn't need to pander to the 2A people to stay in the Oval Office.  Bad times...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 08:14:52 PM »
??? I'm not sure who you think "my guy" is.

He can tell you love Trump, since you picked such a flattering profile pic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »
And Trump apparently thinks he doesn't need to pander to the 2A people to stay in the Oval Office.  Bad times...

Sadly, that's a major point. Anyone here gonna vote for Kamala? Warren? Beto? Bernie?

We don't really have options in 2020.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Sadly, that's a major point. Anyone here gonna vote for Kamala? Warren? Beto? Bernie?

We don't really have options in 2020.

We can stay home ..... and buy more ammo.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 05:22:01 AM »
I don't trust our current SCOTUS to make the right decision in many if not most cases, but for the Fed Gov Universal Background Checks (between private parties) is unconstitutional.

The Federal Government can't regulate the sale of legal objects between private parties within a state. This is why we don't already have this. The way they got around it when they first did background check legislation was to apply the law to FFL's. That sort of works because FFL's are federally licensed so the Fed Gov can dictate the rules they operate under.

Of course they can also regulate transfers between individuals in different states as they do now since that is generally accepted rightly or wrongly as interstate commerce.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 06:33:46 AM »
Was the power the lobbying arm $$$ of the NRA or was the power the actual votes they represented and could sway?

Trump is aware of the 2nd Amendment voting blok so the question is, does he think he can persuade us to support him even if he double crosses us?

The NRA reminds me of the Republican Party, they get a lot of support because there aren't better options that swing as big a stick.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
My two cents:  Trump says a lot of stuff in the interest of making a deal.  What he says and what happens are not always the same thing. 

That said, I am concerned about the R's in Congress just as much as Trump.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
My two cents:  Trump says a lot of stuff in the interest of making a deal.  What he says and what happens are not always the same thing. 

That said, I am concerned about the R's in Congress just as much as Trump.

I literally came in to post that several (R)'s are running off their mouths about compromise now. 
JD

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
One thing you can do is swamp the White House with e-mails saying NO MORE STUPID GUN LAWS.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
I literally came in to post that several (R)'s are running off their mouths about compromise now. 
Squishy "Republicans" believe in preemptive surrender on other issues, so why not on the Second Amendment?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »
I have heard that as well.  Still doesn't necessarily mean it will pass or that they will all go for the House bill.  We will see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
double post again
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
HankB:

Squishy "Republicans" believe in preemptive surrender on other issues, so why not on the Second Amendment?

Gawd, what a concept.  "Just give the robber what he wants and he'll leave you alone."

I don't trust our current SCOTUS to make the right decision in many if not most cases, but for the Fed Gov Universal Background Checks (between private parties) is unconstitutional.

I heard that all through 1967-68.  And nowadays the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68) is all acceptable and "common sense."  People seem to forget why the Second Amendment is the shortest proscription in the Bill Of Rights.

And what "infringed" means.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:52:32 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
You need to do as I am.  I'm sending letters and e-mails to the White House and to Sen. McConnell opposing any more stupid, virtue signalling anti gun laws.  Make them polite, short, and remind them that millions of firearm owners might just stay home on election day 2020.

I also sent e mails to my 2 Senators, though that's a lost cause as they are Democrats and have their noses tucked tightly up Schumer's heiney.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 06:55:07 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
... and of how many billions of rounds are shot every year without drawing a drop of blood.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 12:08:31 AM »
the messed up thing about our system is, the democrats are sometimes better republicans than republicans are and the republicans are better democrats than the democrats are.
I am super angry at POTUS now.
if the vote was today i would not vote for him.
for a guy who acts like he didn't like McCain - he sure acts like him
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."