Author Topic: Trump on the shootings...  (Read 4846 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Trump on the shootings...
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »
the messed up thing about our system is, the democrats are sometimes better republicans than republicans are and the republicans are better democrats than the democrats are.
I am super angry at POTUS now.
if the vote was today i would not vote for him.
for a guy who acts like he didn't like McCain - he sure acts like him

Maybe he's just doing his "art of the deal" stuff.   Oh, and  [barf]   oooops.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:28 AM »
From glumly reading the news this morning, it looks like the Rs are going to push red flag laws hard.

I guess I can kinda sorta see why many of them would go in that direction. Many Rs don't understand guns, but know that their base does, so they have an aversion to doing anything with the objects themselves, because they think (rightly so) that they would lose many votes. Hence they think (wrongly so) that red flag laws are a safe path for them to take to look like they're doing something while still "protecting" gun rights.

I read that Lyndsey Graham, who looks to be heavily pushing red flag along with Trump, has said that precautions to be put in place include consultation with mental health professionals prior to any confiscation orders to ensure police don't abuse the red flag laws. In my unscientific observations, it appears to me that probably 90% of mental health professionals lean moderately to strongly left. How do they keep their emotions out of their "unbiased" analysis?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
Looks like we are instituting the Soviet model on how to deal with bad thinkers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
From glumly reading the news this morning, it looks like the Rs are going to push red flag laws hard.

I guess I can kinda sorta see why many of them would go in that direction. Many Rs don't understand guns, but know that their base does, so they have an aversion to doing anything with the objects themselves, because they think (rightly so) that they would lose many votes. Hence they think (wrongly so) that red flag laws are a safe path for them to take to look like they're doing something while still "protecting" gun rights.

I read that Lyndsey Graham, who looks to be heavily pushing red flag along with Trump, has said that precautions to be put in place include consultation with mental health professionals prior to any confiscation orders to ensure police don't abuse the red flag laws. In my unscientific observations, it appears to me that probably 90% of mental health professionals lean moderately to strongly left. How do they keep their emotions out of their "unbiased" analysis?

I was never a democrat.  It looks like I may not long be a republican.   Where do I go?  :mad: 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
I was never a democrat.  It looks like I may not long be a republican.   Where do I go?  :mad: 
The Gulag.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
Also, one of the problems  I see with Republican political responses to stuff like this, terrorism, etc. is that they always seem to want to go "police state". I mean, we're still taking our shoes off at the airport. Sometimes they are worse than the left when it comes to "for your safety" and "if you didn't do anything, you have nothing to worry about."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Also, one of the problems  I see with Republican political responses to stuff like this, terrorism, etc. is that they always seem to want to go "police state". I mean, we're still taking our shoes off at the airport. Sometimes they are worse than the left when it comes to "for your safety" and "if you didn't do anything, you have nothing to worry about."

Are you not a proud supporter of the women and men of TSA that put their lives on the line, keeping us safe from terrorists in the sky?

I'm concerned about your mental health comrade.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
Also, here's Trump on red flag laws.  I despise blithering idiot Cuomo, but his outburst, and those like it by others, shouldn't expose him/them to the loss of a right.

I can guarantee if this were a right-winger giving the outburst, Trump would be defending him, not saying "red flag". This is why we have to worry about these kinds of laws - politicians across the political spectrum will apply them according to ideology.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/13/donald-trumps-take-on-chris-cuomos-fredo-rant-explains-how-red-flag-laws-can-and-will-be-abused/

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
Also, here's Trump on red flag laws.  I despise blithering idiot Cuomo, but his outburst, and those like it by others, shouldn't expose him/them to the loss of a right.

I can guarantee if this were a right-winger giving the outburst, Trump would be defending him, not saying "red flag". This is why we have to worry about these kinds of laws - politicians across the political spectrum will apply them according to ideology.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/13/donald-trumps-take-on-chris-cuomos-fredo-rant-explains-how-red-flag-laws-can-and-will-be-abused/

All of a sudden trump's kekhood (kekability, kekism?) is less appreciated . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
Part of me hopes this undermines the red flag laws.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »

3D chess....

:rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »

You never know. This may be another one of those cases where I scream, "Why did you tweet that, Don!?!" and it turns out he had a plan I didn't see.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
You never know. This may be another one of those cases where I scream, "Why did you tweet that, Don!?!" and it turns out he had a plan I didn't see.

4D chess.....

:rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
I'm not active enough on social media, someone needs to plant a bug in the lefts ear that this is how Trump is going to go after antifa.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
I'm not active enough on social media, someone needs to plant a bug in the lefts ear that this is how Trump is going to go after antifa.

Oh they'd sacrifice those twerps in an instant.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »
Okay, what are the odds of something actually coming out of this or is just talk?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
Okay, what are the odds of something actually coming out of this or is just talk?

I guess that depends on how stupid Trump is...   ;/

so your guess is as good as mine.

I don't know what odds Trump has of winning re-election, but if he signs signficant gun control, I expect it will drop to zero.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
I guess that depends on how stupid Trump is...   ;/

I don't know what odds Trump has of winning re-election, but if he signs signficant gun control, I expect it will drop to zero.

I think Trump will have a strong chance at reelection regardless.

I'm often a fence sitter between "Vote your conscience" and "Hold your nose, because the other candidate stinks worse". As it stands now, I'm prepared to hold my nose for a lot of stench. Even if Trump signs some kind of gun control legislation, which will piss me off to no end, there is no way I can, in good conscience, actually vote my conscience. Every. single. one. of the higher polling dem candidates is a disaster to freedom and to the philosophy of the United States.

I will cuss like crazy if I have to vote for a "pro-gun control Trump", but I will do it to keep a commie out of the oval office. I think a lot of other people, who don't even care about guns, will be thinking the same way for different reasons. JMO.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »
I guess that depends on how stupid Trump is...   ;/

Trump is a wild card, no doubt there. But the senate is the best possibility to kill it - I haven't seen anything saying the numbers are there.
By any objective measure then, the current Senate -- where Republicans hold 53 seats -- is less friendly to new gun control legislation than the Senate of April 2013. And that 2013 Senate never even got even one part of the gun control legislative package passed the cloture stage. There was never a final up-or-down floor vote on any part of the package. None. And that was with a Democratic president pushing the legislation to a Democratic-controlled Senate.

Even if Trump signs some kind of gun control legislation, which will piss me off to no end, there is no way I can, in good conscience, actually vote my conscience.
I think a lot of other people, who don't even care about guns, will be thinking the same way for different reasons.
Yup. This time of year when the vote is still far away, people talk big about losing their vote or staying home.
Once the election rolls around it's always "end of the world", flight 93, "vote or die" and most everyone falls in line.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
I for one am somewhat on pins and needles waiting for the next one to push them over the edge. I keep expecting to see a breaking news report pop up.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »
Once the election rolls around it's always "end of the world", flight 93, "vote or die" and most everyone falls in line.

Enough might stay home to make Trump lose, easily.

Remember protest votes for Perot probably put Clinton in.

I expect protest votes for Nader probably made Gore lose as well.

Infuriating your base is a terrible idea.

No one who loves gun control will vote for Trump no matter what.

He can only lose votes.

He won the last election on a miniscule margin.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »
I think Trump will have a strong chance at reelection regardless.

I'm often a fence sitter between "Vote your conscience" and "Hold your nose, because the other candidate stinks worse". As it stands now, I'm prepared to hold my nose for a lot of stench. Even if Trump signs some kind of gun control legislation, which will piss me off to no end, there is no way I can, in good conscience, actually vote my conscience. Every. single. one. of the higher polling dem candidates is a disaster to freedom and to the philosophy of the United States.

I will cuss like crazy if I have to vote for a "pro-gun control Trump", but I will do it to keep a commie out of the oval office. I think a lot of other people, who don't even care about guns, will be thinking the same way for different reasons. JMO.

You're not wrong on the Dems, but at some point Trump gets bad enough that the "*expletive deleted*ck it, burn it to the ground" vote swings Dem.

I don't know what that point is, but I clearly remember a bunch of folks in 2016 saying some version of "*expletive deleted*ck it"

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:21:23 PM by dogmush »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »

I don't know what that point is, but I clearly remember a bunch of folks in 2016 saying some version of "*expletive deleted*ck it"

I was one of them. I was all ready to go third party, but at the last minute, more as an FU to the SJWs who had absolutely infuriated me, than any other damn thing, voted Trump. As I was in CA at the time, my vote really didn't make a difference whichever way I would have voted. Now I'm in a state where I can't really do an FU, because my vote can actually count, one way or the other.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »
I think the best response to the Red Flag situation is to anonymously Red-Flag-Report all the politicians and cops that support the concept or execute Red Flag seizures.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
The Gulag.

Oh boy!  Free meals!       [tinfoil]