Author Topic: Religion not COOL?  (Read 14169 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 09:03:15 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
One person's proseltizing out of a sincere concern for the other's future is very often, in my experience, described as "heaping abuse", especially by those who in fact have little beleif or faith in what they claim to beleive in.
Okay, I never thought of it that way. (Probably becasue I have never had an experience like that.)
Andy

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:31 AM »
One person's proseltizing out of a sincere concern for the other's future is very often, in my experience, described as "heaping abuse", especially by those who in fact have little beleif or faith in what they claim to beleive in.
Rich, the problem is that there is a very fine line between "fervent concern for a person's spiritual future" and "outright harassment".  And in general, "abuse" is defined not by the person accused of the abuse, but by the person feeling abused.  Otherwise, most child-abuse cases would be a lot shorter.  "Did you abuse your kid?"  "Nope."  >bang< "Case dismissed."

If the preacher in question was making the woman feel abused, then he was making her feel abused.  You can't point a finger from your armchair and say, "he wasn't really abusing her because I happen to agree with his point of view".

If he believes that it's wrong for a Christian to marry a Pagan in a Christian church (and, more specifically, in his church), that's his right and I don't think anyone rational could say otherwise.  But there's no call to be rude about it.

(who ever heard of caballa before Madonna hopped onto its band wagon?)
No one, of course.  Except for, oh, yes, lots and lots of people.  Including me.  So what if Madonna popularized something and a bunch of madonnawannabes followed in her footsteps.  If she's found Jesus, and a bunch of people had followed her into Christ's Redemption, would you still be scoffing at it?  

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:44 AM »
Guess I'm gonna have to clarify some things...

>So the preacher is supposed to just bend over and sanction and bless something that's against his religion?  Suppose she was Satanic, and they were getting married in HER church - would you expect hte head whatever to be just FINE with him, and his family and friends, wearing chrosses and praying to God IN THEIR CHURCH?<

Don't know... don't hang out with Satanists. Those I've encountered would just shake their heads about it, they wouldn't get abusive...

>Why should it be a black mark for a religion to stand up for its own beliefs?   If it doesn't, its not much of a religion.  If they just want a civil ceremony, they can get a justice of the peace.  A church wedding is both a civil ceremony and a RELIGIOUS ceremony - if the head "blesser" in charge can't, in good conscience bless the union, what else do you expect?<

How about some common damn courtesy? Or is it accpetable to treat "unbelievers" with scorn and abuse? The one quote I remember from the situation was "I can't do this: I won't join one of MY parishoners to an abomination!". A simple "I'm sorry, but I can't do this for you" would have been enough...

>One person's proseltizing out of a sincere concern for the other's future is very often, in my experience, described as "heaping abuse", especially by those who in fact have little beleif or faith in what they claim to beleive in. Of course, if the bride involved REALLY believes in driads, wood nymphs water spirits, etc. as opposed to claiming to be pagan to be: 1. trendy, (who ever heard of caballa before Madonna hopped onto its band wagon?) or 2: irritate her parents and everyone else, I appologize....<

Might I suggest submitting your appology? Calling someone an abomination is NOT "proseltizing out of a sincere concern for the other's future:... it's being incredibly rude, without any reason beyond religious bigotry. And yet it seems that, every time something like this gets mentioned, certain members jump up and defend the actions of the Christian. That's getting kinda old, folks. Can we show a little ACTUAL tolerance? Or did y'all miss the "God hates the sin, but loves the sinner" part of your own faith?

BTW: I had heard of (and read a touch about) caballa (and I'm pretty sure that's the wrong spelling) back in the mid 80's. So sorry to burst that bubble of yours...

cosine

• Administrator
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 09:52:06 AM »
BrokenPaw,

There also is a fine line between actual abuse and something someone may think is abuse even though it isn't. Feeling that one has been abused may not be the same as actually being abused.

I wanna play video games! Not until you finish your homework.

Now depending how poorly behaved the kid in the example is, he may feel that he is being abused even though he isn't.

Feeling abused means one is feeling abused. But that does not mean that one is actually being abused. So proseltizing out of one's concern for another's spiritual good without being cruel to the one being proseltized probably is not abuse, even if the one being proseltized is feeling abused because he doesn't agree with the topics being presented by the one doing the proseltizing.

Edit Hunter Rose got his post in while I was typing mine. I'll say that the preacher was pretty darn uncivil and rude and has some apologizing to do.
Andy

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »
Cosine,

While that is true, I refer you back to Hunter Rose's clarification, where the preacher in question called the Pagan woman an abomination, rather than simply poilitely declining to perform the ceremony.  Calling someone an abomination simply because they believe differently that you do is abusive, in my opinion.  If you feel otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Smiley

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cosine

• Administrator
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »
Just edited my post BrokenPaw. Everything here is happening faster than I can keep up with. Smiley
Andy

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
see my last post, cosine. Generally speaking, if I say something is abusive, it's because it IS abusive...

We generally get to deal with being called "abominations" (sometimes worse), occassional threats, and a variety of other fun issues. And yet, we have some here thinking we choose our faith to "be trendy". Yeah... I like having people offer to use me as the centerpiece of their next bonfire in order to "be trendy"...

What's that old saw about "walking a mile in somene else's shoes"?

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 10:00:16 AM »
*sigh*

I'm gonna have to do something abut another misconception here, it seems...

I'm a guy, folks! The word "Rose" in my handle does NOT signify a woman posting!

cosine

• Administrator
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
see my last post, cosine. Generally speaking, if I say something is abusive, it's because it IS abusive...
I believe you. I was typing when you made your post. I edited my post.

*sigh*

I'm gonna have to do something abut another misconception here, it seems...

I'm a guy, folks! The word "Rose" in my handle does NOT signify a woman posting!
Oops, sorry... I always figured the "Rose" signified a woman... and was too blind to read your sig, doh...

We're all still friends, right?
Andy

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
Most of us are...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
Kill 'em all, let Shuggoth sort 'em out.
Bwahahahahahhaahahahaaahhnhbahmmm hmmm hummm.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »
Fig, you are something else. No, seriously... someTHING else... :neener:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
Or is it accpetable to treat "unbelievers" with scorn and abuse?
Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case in many churches.  We used to have a mid-week BS (Bible Study) in our home and the topic often turned around to how awful certain "unbeliever" co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances were Sad  I always tried to stop this line of conversation and move onto something else, but it was pretty much a weekly rant with several people.

I can't believe how long I let myself be caught up in all that garbage.  It finally took some extraordinary abuse (false accusations, gossip, etc) for me to open my eyes and escape.

Like I said before: "live and let live" ... but ya'll ought to know how some folks get to where they are Wink  Domination, manipulation, and backstabbing are definitely not "cool"
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
Yeppie.  That's me.  Just when you think I'm a cross between Dr. Martin Lutha DeKang and Mohandas K. Ghandi, I buck up and have this moment of, well, DR. HYDE....

"These aren't the droids you're looking for" Obiwan Quixote
"Go on about your lives as if everything was perfectly normal." Hank Hill

Ron

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
As a general rule I try to treat EVERYONE as I would want to be treated.

If tolerance means I am not allowed to make judgments about someone elses belief system then I am intolerant.

Just because I think somebody is wrong or misguided does not give me license to mock or deride their beliefs.

When it comes to forum boards and stretching out into the mass media the only safe religion or faith to bash is Christianity.

It has reached the point where former enemies, evangelicals and Roman Catholics have made common ground. If you don't think that Christianity is under assault then you don't realize what deep anomosity was present historically between American protestants and Rome. For these two groups to find common ground and put up a fire wall against the forces of seculurism is a historic event that is going unreported in the mainstream media.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 03:46:33 PM »
>If tolerance means I am not allowed to make judgments about someone elses belief system then I am intolerant.<

Make judgements, yes. Make excuses for members of that faith being abusive to others? Nope... that's goin' over the line...

>Just because I think somebody is wrong or misguided does not give me license to mock or deride their beliefs.<

See above...

>When it comes to forum boards and stretching out into the mass media the only safe religion or faith to bash is Christianity.<

And, when I see your average "Christian bashing", I try to tone it down or stop it. Heck... one of the pagan boards I mod on, i've shut down threads when the 'Bashers start spouting...

>It has reached the point where former enemies, evangelicals and Roman Catholics have made common ground. If you don't think that Christianity is under assault then you don't realize what deep anomosity was present historically between American protestants and Rome. For these two groups to find common ground and put up a fire wall against the forces of seculurism is a historic event that is going unreported in the mainstream media.<

So, is that meant as an excuse for Christians to cut on other faiths, or for them to defend those who do so? "Well yes, that preist WS out of line. But Christianity is bashed in the MSM, so it's ok"?

bermbuster

• friend
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »
I believe the operative word would be "polite."

Ron

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 05:43:11 PM »
As a general rule I try to treat EVERYONE as I would want to be treated.
HR,
       I make no apologies for anyone who isn't following "the golden rule" whether they call themselves Christians or not.

Pleasing God isn't that complicated in my eyes. I treat everyone of all faiths, nonfaiths, whatever the same.

I leave the righteous indignation to God, thats His department.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »
makes sense, GoRon. Unfortunately, there are too many who seem to think otherwise... Sad

brimic

• friends
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2006, 10:50:33 PM »
I really don't care if an organized religeon wants to exclude people or not- its their club. I had a similar situation as described earlier in the thread when I got married, though not as extreme. I belonged to one Christian sect while my wife, another. One church wouldn't marry us, so I basicly said "smell you later" to the reverend. I currently belong to a church that I can tolerate to a certain extent, it isn't perfect, but it will do for now. I'm not wishy washy, I just don't believe that I need to belong to a specific organization resembling a corporation to be a spiritual person who believes in a higher power.

As far as prothelytizing (sp?) goes: God so loved the world that he sent his only son so that all that believe in him will have eternal life.  There, I'm done.  I also believe that God gave us free will so that we can take it or leave it, its not place to judge.

You can tell a lot more about a religeon of a person  by the actions of that person than by their words.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2006, 06:13:48 AM »
Well said, brimic.

As a member of a Protestant, evangelical church, I'm a bit of a puzzle to lots of my fellow parishoners.

I have pretty deeply held concepts of the Creator, some of which are born out of contemplative Catholic mysticism (Thomas Merton, St. Francis, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, et al).  These "let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me" ideas seem to offend the drum-beating evangelical crowd that populates churches in my area.  The thought of letting my life and my actions speak of my faith (WITHOUT knocking on my next door neighbor's door at 8:00 on a Saturday morning to TELL them) is very confusing to them.

I also am inspired by the life and teachings of George Fox and the Quaker movement.  Although it seems really fractious and divided today, the early concepts were all about having a personal experience with one's Creator, and not just following the motions of faded liturgy.

And finally, I really like the grandeur of the Harvard Divinity School Address, given by R.W. Emerson;
http://www.emersoncentral.com/divaddr.htm
...while much of it is beyond the bounds of what I embrace, it still points at the light to a bunch of intellectual giants who might be 98lb weaklings spiritually.  At least, it made them think and search their own heart, beliefs, experience, and it does the same to me.

All that to say, you can't put God in a Box, and it frustrates those who try, when you point out that Box theology doesn't work.

Apologies to those who didn't want to know all this.

Art Eatman

• friend
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2006, 06:51:53 AM »
Art said, "Hedonism and religion don't get along well together."

crt360 said, "They might.  Many religious people I know seem to use it (religion) as a balance to their Hedonism."

Yeah, fine; SOME.  What I'm talking about is the modern preponderance of hedonism for a great many.  They're not looking for balance.  They don't want restraint.  As usual, I'm talking about "many", not "all".  

Art:  "Don't believe me?  Look at the numbers for credit card debt.  Look at the success of TV ads with thier implicit "Gratification now!" and "You deserve..."

crt360:  "This is certainly present, but I think it is more the side-effect of "successful" capitalism.  I'm certain that had millions of Americans been hammered with $5000-10,, 0% for 1 year, then fixed at 6.8% (but really goes to 27.99% because one of your payments was received a day late) offers daily, back in the 1920s, they'd have been in the same boat."

Yeah, but I'm talking about today.  Look at your following statement about available information.  If these people USE the available information, they wouldn't get themselves into "hedonistic pickles". Smiley

crt360:  "I think one of the main factors is the openness and sheer volume of information easily available now.  When I was a kid, I either believed what someone told me or I didn't.  We had schools with skimpy government approved text books, little school libraries, and TVs that got a few stations.  We read newspapers and magazines.  There was no other place to learn about things you really were trying to learn about.  Thinking back about it, I wonder how we all weren't dumber than dirt."

Well, I graduated from high school in 1951.  I learned enough to be independently not-broke by the time I was 45 years sold, back in 1979.  For that matter, were the Founding Fathers dumber than dirt? Smiley  Information does not create wisdom, nor does great intelligence.

crt360: "I also feel similarly to Tallpine regarding the power and control issues of organized religion and I think that this is another big thing which turns many away from the church.  Its like another government that you have to subject yourself to, with people, no better than yourself, in higher positions, making decisions that you are expected to support.  Some churches are arguably much better than others in this matter, but all churches, by their very nature as gathering places for dozens to thousands of people who want to belong, are magnets for people who want to assert influence and control over others."

True, but that's a people-behavior function.  Not all preachers are that way.  Not all sects are that way.  Face it, you're always gonna find somebody that likes having power over others, whether governmental hired hands or church-biggies.  Most of the preachers I've ever known are pretty much live and let live types.  Their basic deal is that if you want a good life, believe in your religion and behave accordingly.  If A, then B.

A good preacher tries to interpret, not give orders.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

matis

• friend
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2006, 09:24:36 AM »
Art said:
"Information does not create wisdom, nor does great intelligence."

Some good thoughts in this thread.

But the quote above seems to me to clear away the "expertise" we are now so much  at the mercy of -- and opens the way back to the bible wisdom that undergirds and supports Western civilization.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »
I was raised Catholic and I find church to be real boring and I remember the nuns of my childhood allways slapping me and hitting me with rulers and stuff. I can't remember what I was doing wrong, but I think I wasn't deserving of that kind of treatment. It's really messed me up religious wise, I wan't to go to this Christian church here in Reno   (really good looking gals & conservative too) but I can't convert and I don't enjoy the church of my upbringing, I see the Christians fellowship and wish I could take part...sigh...whats a guy to do?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cosine

• Administrator
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2006, 09:15:07 PM »
Have you ever thought of attending Mass at another Catholic church in your area?
Andy