Author Topic: Religion not COOL?  (Read 14170 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »
Quote from: gunsmith
I was raised Catholic and I find church to be real boring and I remember the nuns of my childhood allways slapping me and hitting me with rulers and stuff. I can't remember what I was doing wrong, but I think I wasn't deserving of that kind of treatment. It's really messed me up religious wise, I wan't to go to this Christian church here in Reno   (really good looking gals & conservative too) but I can't convert and I don't enjoy the church of my upbringing, I see the Christians fellowship and wish I could take part...sigh...whats a guy to do?
Go, but don't convert.  Meet folks.  Have coffee, talk, and worship in your own way.  
That's a lot of what I do.

You can't correct every errant belief that others have, but you can enjoy their company.
They may think the same about you! Wink

crt360

• friend
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
Art:  "Don't believe me?  Look at the numbers for credit card debt.  Look at the success of TV ads with thier implicit "Gratification now!" and "You deserve..."

crt360:  "This is certainly present, but I think it is more the side-effect of "successful" capitalism.  I'm certain that had millions of Americans been hammered with $5000-10,, 0% for 1 year, then fixed at 6.8% (but really goes to 27.99% because one of your payments was received a day late) offers daily, back in the 1920s, they'd have been in the same boat."

Art:  Yeah, but I'm talking about today.  Look at your following statement about available information.  If these people USE the available information, they wouldn't get themselves into "hedonistic pickles". Smiley
True, now that its happened to enough people.  But before it became the topic of news, many were abused with interest rates that would be considered usurious and illegal if collected by any other type of business.  An exception was created specifically for credit card companies that very few people knew about or should have expected.

crt360:  "I think one of the main factors is the openness and sheer volume of information easily available now.  When I was a kid, I either believed what someone told me or I didn't.  We had schools with skimpy government approved text books, little school libraries, and TVs that got a few stations.  We read newspapers and magazines.  There was no other place to learn about things you really were trying to learn about.  Thinking back about it, I wonder how we all weren't dumber than dirt."

Art:  Well, I graduated from high school in 1951.  I learned enough to be independently not-broke by the time I was 45 years sold, back in 1979.  For that matter, were the Founding Fathers dumber than dirt? Smiley  Information does not create wisdom, nor does great intelligence.
That was part of a larger reference to the lack of shared religious information and I was half-joking about being dumber than dirt.   Smiley  Art, Ive read enough of your posts to respect and envy your undertakings and success.  Its true that wisdom, knowledge, intelligence, and information are not necessary for getting by.  Ive known some people that were very short on those things, but quite successful financially.  They keep my profession busy.

While information may not create wisdom, wisdom cannot be gained without it.

Art:  True, but that's a people-behavior function.  Not all preachers are that way.  Not all sects are that way.  Face it, you're always gonna find somebody that likes having power over others, whether governmental hired hands or church-biggies.  Most of the preachers I've ever known are pretty much live and let live types.  Their basic deal is that if you want a good life, believe in your religion and behave accordingly.  If A, then B.

A good preacher tries to interpret, not give orders.
I agree.  I wasnt particularly dogging on preachers.  Ive known quite a few small town preachers that were great guys and had no desire to gain more power or control people.  It's pretty easy to spot the bad ones.  On a small scale, Im thinking more about congregation and church council members; the ones who bicker over whether the preacher is right for our church or not; the ones who fire the preacher that everyone else likes because his sermons arent monotonous enough.  Not to mention the churchladies who think we need to a pitch in for new $20,000 stained glass to outdo the church down the street.  On a larger scale, Im talking about the really high-ups who decide which direction the church as a whole will go, what political positions they will take, which people they will not accept in their congregation or ministry, etc.  It has been my observation (correct or not) that this was one of the functions of the church from the very beginning - controlling the masses, by telling them what to believe - and I'm afraid there was a little more order-giving and a little less interpreting than we'd like to think.
For entertainment purposes only.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »
crt360: I think the problem is the perception that such controlling people are the norm in such churches. Not the case, really, anymore than it's the case that all Catholic preists are pedophiles. In both cases, that particular type of people seek such positions to allow free reign to their inclinations. I've always shaken my head when people are horrified that a preist turns out to be a ped: they're called "sexual predators" for a reason, and predators ALWAYS go where they have access to their prey (which is why you don't see lions in the Sahara). Kinda the same thing for people who wich to control others: they will gravitate twords positions of authority in whatever social goup they belong to. The trick is to notice them, and block their access to such positions...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2006, 06:21:04 PM »
I think it really happened when Jim and Tammy Fay hit their stride...

I've known the holier than whoever, and lemme tell you, they have really crappy taste when it comes to design...
Blog under construction

M14rick

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2006, 03:20:29 AM »
I seldom go to Church now, but it doesn't mean I don't believe in the Lord. Someone has kept an eye on me all my life, or I am extraordinarily lucky.
     I put cigarettes down cold turkey while my younger daghter was in the hospital being treated for periocarditis. She had her twelfth birthday there. I had decided previously that I was on the last pack of regular Camels. and would quit when they were gone. I mention the hospital only because I hear so many people say" I tried to quit, but then this or that happened and I couldn't put them down." Some One helped me, I went from at least a pack a day to zip without hypnosis, patch, gum or whatever.
     I have suffered from depression for as long as I remember, now I know what it is. I used alcohol to treat for a long time, until 1998 when I wrecked my patrol car and "resigned". I haven't touched a drop since that night. Again, no twelve step, antabuse, or whatnot. I had to have a Divine Being looking out for me.  
     I say grace most meals, even when we eat out, and talk with the Lord throughout the day. But I don't attend Church. I used to, and was on the board, and Sunday School superintendent for a few years. I feel that the organised Churches are too much into politics. Some even contribute to anti gun causes.
     This is just my feeling......

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2006, 05:29:18 AM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
I think the problem is the perception that such controlling people are the norm in such churches. Not the case, really, ...
I guess I must have gone to all the wrong churches, then - because I would say that the power and control game is the norm Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2006, 05:45:25 PM »
>I guess I must have gone to all the wrong churches, then - because I would say that the power and control game is the norm<

Guess we have different experiences. no biggie... Wink

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2006, 06:31:49 AM »
M14rick-- I'm glad you were 'tuned in' to what was happening during those pivotal times.  Many/most are not, or just grow more bitter, cynical and negative along the way.

I share your disdain for the "church politics" game, and while I do attend regularly, I really struggle with it.

There was once a cartoon, I think it was Pogo, that said "I LOVE humanity.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!" :LOL:
Similarly, I struggle with the same feelings about -church synagogue coven ashram- whatever you want to call it.

People should be genuine.  Authentic.  When it becomes a power play (as it did when the Church leaders became the power structure in the medieval period), then there are conflicting agendas competing for the benefits...personal enlightenment vs. control of the masses vs. wealth vs. spiritual purity vs. building one's own 'cult of personality' vs....whatever the individual agenda priority happens to be.

I guess that's why, despite my entire life in the Protestant church, I am influenced much by contemplative Catholic concepts like "let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me".  It's a "from the inside out" thing, instead of what you do that people see (look at HER-- that dress must have cost a thousand dollars...well, I saw HIM going into the Dew Drop Inn last Thursday for Happy Hour!).  Screw 'em, what they think.  Maybe that's why I am not asked to serve on Deacon committees and such, I probably exude the "I don't DO bureaucracy" aura.  Most in my church still show up in suits and dresses.  I dress nice, clean, but the same I do the other six days each week: Polos & khakis, no tie.  I get a little bit of perverse pleasure in "keeping 'em guessing" and being unable to pigeonhole/stereotype me, but that's my own shortcoming/complexity/issue for the shrink's couch. Cheesy

God is spirit, and those who would worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.
I don't see anything about personal agendas in that statement.

RealGun

• friend
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2006, 04:01:21 AM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
Since when did being a religious/spritual person become not cool?
When they started bringing religion based issues to nonlocal politics and government. Brethren who become very shrill in voicing their views tend to give religion in general a bad rap.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2006, 04:54:32 AM »
My observation is that all of the criticisms of the established religion (Sadduces & Pharisees) made by Jesus in the gospels is true of christian churches today Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2006, 05:41:15 AM »
My observation is that all of the criticisms of the established religion (Sadduces & Pharisees) made by Jesus in the gospels is true of christian churches today sad
And all the criticisms of those without faith that Jesus made are true also Smiley

There is nothing new under the sun.

I suspect when judgement day comes we won't get the oportunity to deflect blame on to the established religions of the day. We will get a chance to give account of ourselves and it will not make a difference what our opinion is of the church down the street.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2006, 06:46:55 AM »
Quote from: GoRon
My observation is that all of the criticisms of the established religion (Sadduces & Pharisees) made by Jesus in the gospels is true of christian churches today sad
And all the criticisms of those without faith that Jesus made are true also Smiley

There is nothing new under the sun.

I suspect when judgement day comes we won't get the oportunity to deflect blame on to the established religions of the day. We will get a chance to give account of ourselves and it will not make a difference what our opinion is of the church down the street.
More of the same ... you have no idea what faith I may or may not have.

If there is a judgement day, I just hope I will be forgiven for all the misguided things I have taken part in under the influence of churches Wink

Ron

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2006, 07:46:54 AM »
More of the same ... you have no idea what faith I may or may not have.

If there is a judgement day, I just hope I will be forgiven for all the misguided things I have taken part in under the influence of churches wink
Don't mistake my point.

The point I was trying to illustrate is that ultimately it is between you and the Creator.

While I also no longer attend church I haven't "thrown out the baby with the bath water".

Using the weakness and evilness of church going folk to try and discredit God is a losing proposition IMHO.

Blaming organized religion for turning you off of reaching for God is like a child blaming his playment for bad behavior they both participated in.

In the day of reckoning I would hope I take responsibilty for my actions and not sound like a petulant child making excuses for my self absorption.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Religion not COOL?
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »
This thread is deterioating, and I don't want to contribute to that ... Sad

I simply answered the initial question, followed by some more detailed explanation and comments.

That was followed by some veiled or not so veiled personal attacks on me, which pretty much bears out my original statements.

Whatever god I believe in is big enough not to need anyone defending him/her Wink

In the interest of peace and harmony, I'll be quiet now...

Ron

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2006, 11:35:36 AM »
This thread is deterioating, and I don't want to contribute to that ... sad

I simply answered the initial question, followed by some more detailed explanation and comments.

That was followed by some veiled or not so veiled personal attacks on me, which pretty much bears out my original statements.

Whatever god I believe in is big enough not to need anyone defending him/her wink

In the interest of peace and harmony, I'll be quiet now...
By me?

There were no attacks intended vieled or otherwise.

Just observations of my experience, seeing as that is all I have knowledge of, obviously I don't know you or what has gone down in your life.

Sorry you felt things were deteriating, seems to me we probably share more in common when it comes to religious organizitions than you realize.

I just don't hold the religious to higher standards than I hold anyone else. If you do your bound to be dissapointed.

Strings

Religion not COOL?
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
>Whatever god I believe in is big enough not to need anyone defending him/her<

*DINGDINGDING* We have a winnah!

That's REALLY the biggest joke with the whole "my god's better than your god!" arguement...