Author Topic: Offender won't wear monitor, cites religion  (Read 2463 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Offender won't wear monitor, cites religion
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:55:17 PM »
A hearing will determine whether Scott Smith's stance sends him to prison.

By TOM ALEX
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

February 22, 2006

A convicted sex offender in southern Iowa with ties to a doomsday commune has refused to wear an electronic monitor, saying the device conflicts with his religious beliefs.

A hearing Thursday in Decatur County will determine whether Scott Smith, 36, will go to prison over his refusal to wear the monitor as ordered under a statewide effort to track the movements of sex offenders who committed crimes against children.

Smith, of Davis City, has been a member of the Brotherhood of Christ Church, whose believers once claimed the Soviet Union would unleash a weapon to wipe out the Kansas City, Mo., area and everything else within 50 miles.

Smith's current status with the organization could not be confirmed, and he could not be reached Tuesday for comment.

Smith was convicted in 2004 of third-degree sex abuse and indecent contact with a child. He could have faced 10 years in prison on the sex abuse charges but was put on probation for five years. He was sentenced to one year on the indecent-contact charge but was released after 210 days on work release and put on two years' probation.

Records show Smith's victims were females, one between the ages of 14 and 17 and the other younger than 13.

State lawmakers last year approved a sweeping package of get-tough laws aimed at child molesters, including a requirement of electronic monitoring for hundreds of offenders who go on parole or probation.

Stan Devore, regional supervisor for the 5th Judicial District Department of Corrections, said that there are several types of monitors for ankles and wrists, but that Smith refused to wear any of them.

Lamoni Police Chief Dale Killpack said 50 or 60 members of the Brotherhood of Christ Church live together on about 520 acres east of Lamoni.

Killpack said an investigation of the sex abuse complaint turned up a letter that said Smith was expelled from the group for at least a year beginning in 2003. The letter set out rules he would have to follow to be reinstated.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/NEWS01/602220375/1001

I wonder what I could claim as religious reasons, hmmm... a need to carry a firearm at 24/7 in all locations?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:14:35 PM »
I bet prison would conflict with his religion, too, but I'd give him the option.

How did they stop the Soviet Union's imminent destruction of Kansas City?
For entertainment purposes only.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »
Wow..where to start with that one?

First of all, I'd bet his religion says he should be killed for raping children. And if not, well, mine does.

Secondly, he's not being implanted with something, he's being made to wear a device that tracks him. If its the law, he should have considered that before raping children.

Still..I think that the tracking of inmates will then lead to the tracking of children and then lead to the tracking of everyone. And that, of course, is a Bad Thing.

onions!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »
Staple the transmitter to his ass until his term is served.
Then pull it out & let him be.
Religon's got nuthin to do with it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
I'm with 41mag - you do the crime you do the time.

Don't like the nice, cozy, relatively inobtrusive monitor? Then we have a nice, cozy, relatively gloomy cell you are welcome to inhabit for the next few years.

And we all know how welcome child molesters are in Club Fed...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
Records show Smith's victims were females, one between the ages of 14 and 17 and the other younger than 13.
I'd say he plays it straight or does every last minute's worth of his time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:40:20 AM »
Let's see: monitor is a condition of his parole, so not wearing the monitor is a parole violation.  It doesn't make a bit of difference why he doesn't want to wear it, send his butt to the big house!  Or is jail against his religion too?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:46:31 AM »
I like your way of thinking 41mag, just as much entertainment as I had when I first read the story.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:28:01 AM »
I wonder if it would offend his religion if his scrot were run through a wood chipper?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I wonder if it would offend his religion if his scrot were run through a wood chipper?
[Fargo]Is that your scrote in the woodchippah theah?[/Fargo]

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 09:41:38 AM »
Go Bears! Yah!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
Oh, it doesn't make a bit of difference.  Ninja-clad operators don't descend on you from a black helicopter when you set foot outside your door with a monitor.  Your P&P officer gets a notification at least 24 hours after a violation.  Then he has to file a violation report.  Then the report gets reviewed by his supervisor.  If it's a bad enough violation (and lemme tell ya', it'd have to be something spectacular for this to happen), they'll send the PD after the offender.

Yeah, ok, he should follow the terms of his probation and wear the monitor or he should go back in, but it doesn't matter.  Recidivism amongst any group of offenders (especially child molesters) is so unbelieveably high that his probation officer probably already has the request for probation revocation filled out and signed.  It's just waiting for a date and the victim's name.  If they're even remotely worried about this guy not becoming a model citizen and a pillar of the community, he needs to go to the gray bar motel post haste.  I see this event as a good thing.  Maybe they'll toss him in the can for the full ten years over this.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 11:48:45 AM »
You know, I wonder if it would be against the guy's religion to offer him a choice...

1. Wear the monitor, or

2. Go back to the big house wearing a sign 24x7 that says "I'm a child molester."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
Well if he doesn't want to wear the monitor I guess then they could just nail his sack to a 10' 6x8" and let him drag that around for the duration of his parole.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
How much scrote could a wood chipper chip if a wood chipper could chip scrote?

Brad

p.s. - sorry, too much coffee and not enough sleep...
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 01:26:27 PM »
Just what "religion" is this?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

onions!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »
I bet being on that list is against his religion, too.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 05:18:20 AM »
Quote from: 41mag
That be him

Uranus is a gas giant.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 11:21:57 AM »
It appears that grooming goes against his beliefs too.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.