Author Topic: And speaking of scifi crews...  (Read 1046 times)

Antibubba

• friend
And speaking of scifi crews...
« on: February 24, 2006, 03:18:01 AM »
Andreas Katsulas has died.  For those of you who weren't Babylon 5 fans, he played Narn ambassador G'Kar.  And if you've ever seen the Harrison Ford version of The Fugitive, he played the one-armed man.

On a show full of interesting and well-played sentients, Mr. Katsulas really stood out-it isn't easy to be so expressive with pounds of prosthetics, makeup, and red eyes.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:40:43 AM »
Never watched B5, but I remember him from various characters he played on Star Trek - both classic and TNG.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:57:52 AM »
Hmmmm... I don't think he ever had a role on ST-TOS.  Could you be thinking of Mark Lenard?  The actor who portrayed Spock's father Sarek.

Andreas Katsulas will be missed.

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying."
G'Kar to Sheridan, Objects in Motion
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 07:14:02 AM »
No I'm not thinking of Sarek. I was cruising on a bio site about him and it had two listings for Star Trek

Star Trek TNG
Start Trek - syndicated - Paramount

Can't find anything else that references TOS, but he was on Enterprise the Series. Some many Treks, it's hard to keep them straight anymore. I could be mistaken.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
Found this tribute to Andreas on the web.  QuickTime 7 required to view. http://www.zteamproductions.com/b5stuff/Andreas.html
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RaggedClaws

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:07:11 AM »
He was absolutely terrific as G'Kar, especially in the later episodes.  

I checked out his Wikipedia entry, and apparently he died of inoperable lung cancer.  In the words of the J. Michael Straczynski, "he loved smoking with a passion that cannot be described".  I can relate to that unfortunately (though I'm still quit).

IndianaDean

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
That's too bad. Andreas was a very cool guy. Gkar was an excellent character. I had seen Andreas in earlier works too, such as Equalizer. Andreas Katsulas, Don Knotts, and Dennis Weaver. Rest in peace.