Author Topic: Presidential race influencing gun sales across the country  (Read 17730 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Presidential race influencing gun sales across the country
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:32:58 AM »
Good article from the Marshall, Texas, News Messenger:

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/08/090608_web_guns.html

This is buried in the middle of the article, and it really makes one pause...

"Patrick Franklin, a spokesman for the Gregg County Democratic Party, said Obama is not going to take away a person's right to bear arms, and calls the claim a typical Republican tactic to scare gun owners.

"Republicans used the same tactic in 1992 when Bill Clinton ran for office," Franklin said. "Barack Obama is not going to take people's gun rights away. That's not his intention."

I seem to recall that Bill Clinton also issued muted platitudes about respecting the Second Amendment in the run up to his 1992 election...

Funny how we got the Brady Law and the "Assault Weapons" ban in his first term, isn't it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Presidential race influencing gun sales across the country
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:34:21 AM »
Well they aren't going to ban the guns they want you to have.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
That gun shop owner needs to be beaten for this sentence:

"We call it the Obama factor. People are very concerned that if a Democrat is elected they will see more restrictions on handguns and assault rifles." Godell said. "I think as a result of that we have seen steady handgun sales, and there's been an increase in the sale of assault rifles like AK-47s, as well."

IS NOT AK-47. IS NOT ASSAULT RIFLE. DOES NOT HAVE SWITCH.

AAARRGG!  angry

Though the Democrat:

Patrick Franklin, a spokesman for the Gregg County Democratic Party, said Obama is not going to take away a person's right to bear arms, and calls the claim a typical Republican tactic to scare gun owners.

"Republicans used the same tactic in 1992 when Bill Clinton ran for office," Franklin said. "Barack Obama is not going to take people's gun rights away. That's not his intention."

Franklin supports Obama's position on assault-style rifles.

"There's soon going to be a discussion in this country about automatic weapons," Franklin said. "I think people would agree having an AK-47 on the streets is something that needs to be regulated."

That was already done in 1934, idiot.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »
No, it's not actually an AK-47, but most everyone is going to ID it as one. How many times do you see the AK style rifles on THR and elsewhere referred to as an AK or AK clone vs. calling it a WASR, SLR-107 or whatnot?

And, you bet the specter of Obama has been influencing gun sales. I've bought an AR-15, and I have a WASR on layaway, pending a consignment sale. Especially since he picked Biden as his VP.

My dealer can barely keep WASRs on the shelf. AR sales have also been brisk. He's also taking the opportunity to order some of the more diverse EBRs for his personal collection, such as PSLs, a Sig 556, and a couple of others.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:52:41 AM »
"I think people would agree having an AK-47 on the streets is something that needs to be regulated."

I wouldn't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
I would think the thing that would be regulated more heavily or outright banned would be the receiver, what's considered the "gun".

So it certainly would not be unwise to put away some FAL receivers, AR lowers and such, whatever it is that you are into, since that is the part that would be no longer available. Stamped AK derivative receivers are cheap.

Mags as well, but that goes without saying. At least ten for every rifle.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:18:49 PM »
I talk to gun store owners every day, and almost every one of them has told me they've seen increased buying of Evil Black Rifles and 10+ capacity magazines over the last several months.

Obama's handlers can talk all they want, but there's a lot of people who don't believe them.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
My favorite gun store has seen unabated demand ever since the ban crashed. Sales really picked up once Obama and Hillary got in the ring back in primary land. This guy orders and sells AR mags by the case, 10 AR recievers at a time to one person. I'm small time, I just have a couple of AR lowers and parts for an evviiiill sniper rifle in my Barry's box of things to build. Of course I have enough K-31s and ammo to start my own Swiss militia so I didn't have to do much prep work. I'll by more mags before next Congress/Barry swearing in if the majorities look badly enough tilted. If a gun bill hits the floor of either house I'll buy everything I may ever need whether or not i can afford it, it's only a credit rating.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
If a gun bill hits the floor of either house I'll buy everything I may ever need whether or not i can afford it, it's only a credit rating.

The problem is that prices will spike, too.

I don't even like ARs much, but I have several Stag lowers stashed. Also another DSA FAL receiver, and there are four high quality AK derivatives in the safe (two x39, one 5.56, one .308), as I figure those are the most likely to keep working forever no matter if they ban parts, even.

Interesting trivia note, the bans keep missing strange and rare rifles like the Czech VZ-52/57 rifle, which is a wood-stocked 7.62x39 semiauto with a folding-flush blade bayonet. The original 52 is 7.62x45 and finding ammo is nearly impossible, plus it's highly corrosive.

If you can find one that wasn't eaten by corrosive ammo, might not be a bad investment to have an "off ban" rifle like that. It might be the only sort one can sell as a loophole.

As for sales, too? They're EXTREMELY brisk here. Every weekend, Riley's looks like a department store's sale. Crowded with people buying everything.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
Favorite "off-ban" rifles. Garand, FN-49 which my dad has in the Belgian .30-06 flavor and won't let me near, Browning BLR in .308. The M-1A sneaks by too at least by prior bans except for mag capacity. I'm sure any future ban will reference "bottom feeders"  rolleyes at which point I will weld the mags in my K-31, pry the FN-49 away from pops, get more Garand goodness, and if rich buy a Johnson just because it is a sidefeeder laugh!
AKA Navy Joe   

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Favorite "off-ban" rifles. Garand, FN-49 which my dad has in the Belgian .30-06 flavor and won't let me near, Browning BLR in .308. The M-1A sneaks by too at least by prior bans except for mag capacity. I'm sure any future ban will reference "bottom feeders"  rolleyes at which point I will weld the mags in my K-31, pry the FN-49 away from pops, get more Garand goodness, and if rich buy a Johnson just because it is a sidefeeder laugh!

I just saw an FN-49 for over a thousand in a store. I thought that was a bit crazy. SVT-40's are getting up there, as well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »
Well they aren't going to ban the guns they want you to have tolerate you owning.

Fixed it for ya Bill.  angel
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:49:01 AM »
Going to try this again.

Ban stick is primed, folks, and you all know I will not hesitate to use it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »
Going to try this again.

Ban stick is primed, folks, and you all know I will not hesitate to use it.

On a side note, it's pretty disorienting to click on page 2, and discover that there isn't a page 2 anymore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

Looks like someone else was typing while I was...

AKA Navy Joe   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 08:03:48 AM »
"On a side note, it's pretty disorienting to click on page 2, and discover that there isn't a page 2 anymore."

Think of it as a squealing with delight, stomach churning roller coaster ride.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »

If the ban is re-instituted, it's unlikely that the M1A and M1 Carbine will squeak by.  HR 1022 had them on the list of guns to ban, and I wouldn't be surprised if they recycled it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:48 AM »
At this point I think the only thing I'm going to be getting in preparation for a possible new ban is more magazines for my High Power. I have 4, but a couple more wouldn't hurt.

I think I now have a dozen or more magazines for my AR-15, and I tend to buy one or two more every time I hit the gunshop or make an order.

As far as guns are concerned, I may finally spring for a Beretta XP4 Storm in .45 ACP. I've wanted a DA .45 for a long time, and the Storm has really captured my interest.

The last time I was worried about a gun-hating Democrat taking the White House 4 years ago Mtnbkr and I each ended up with an Evil Black Rifle.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
I think I now have a dozen or more magazines for my AR-15, and I tend to buy one or two more every time I hit the gunshop or make an order.

You could also just pick up bodies and extra springs instead of mags. They can't ban the followers and floorplates, since those are used in nanny-state mags, too, but they can ban "high capacity magazines and/or magazine bodies"

And once AR mags are dinged at the feed lips, that's it, isn't it?

That, or get the Magpul P-mags. They look interesting.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
I've thought about that, but when I find the bodies they're as expensive as complete magazines.

Doesn't make much sense as far as I'm concerned, so I just buy magazines and put them away.

I have a half dozen surplus Isralie Orlite magazines that have proven to be very reliable. I use those for range sessions.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »
The last time I was worried about a gun-hating Democrat taking the White House 4 years ago Mtnbkr and I each ended up with an Evil Black Rifle.  grin

That we built ourselves... Cheesy

FWIW, I'm pretty well stocked on the stuff that's likely to be banned that I'd want to own.  My passion is revolvers, I don't even own any semiauto handguns.  My only semiauto rifles are the AR and a 10/22.

I've been tempted to pick up another lower receiver, but I don't shoot my AR much as it is.  It's far from my favorite gun and I doubt I'll want to own two.

As for AR mags, the parts kits aren't that much less than a complete mag if you shop around.  It's just easier to order the mags and be done with it.  AIMSurplus has milspec mags for $8.95.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
"That we built ourselves..."

Well, to be honest, you built yours, I assembled mine.

I found a really good deal on an upper (less bolt and gas key) at a gun show and decided to cut to the chase and just get it.

It's funny, too, how different our rifles are.

Mine's a civilian version M16A2. Full stock, long barrel, etc., while Chris went for the bling with a CAR variation...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
As for AR lowers, they're being used as the "gun" for a lot of other stuff, from gas piston uppers to a .50 BMG I saw for it. None require any other parts you can't have shipped directly to you. From that end, I can see having a few more.

And as for building your own black rifle, that depends what you mean. Snapping together an AR, or building an AK, which involves a jig, metal bending, hammering, and a torch and bucket of water. Building an AK is more like forging a sword. grin

Then there's building FALs, which I won't even try. I don't have the expertise to get the barrel timing and headspacing right, and you can get a kaboom if you do that wrong.

Only AR I have is likewise an M16A2, but that was just because I found an un-neutered Colt/Martin upper with its bayonet lug and all somewhere for cheap.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Mine's a civilian version M16A2. Full stock, long barrel, etc., while Chris went for the bling with a CAR variation...

What bling?  Other than the FFT forend, it's as plain as can be.  No optics, no lights, etc.  I went for something as light as possible.  If I'm going to shoot a light cartridge, I want a light (to carry) gun.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »

What bling?  Other than the FFT forend, it's as plain as can be.  No optics, no lights, etc.  I went for something as light as possible.  If I'm going to shoot a light cartridge, I want a light (to carry) gun.

Chris

The arfcom people would call you a heretic. It's not "proper" to some unless the weight of the accessories is more than the weight of the rifle. Wink

I sometimes wonder if some of those people feel naked if they don't carry their ACOG with them and look through it every few minutes.