Author Topic: Presidential race influencing gun sales across the country  (Read 17733 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Presidential race influencing gun sales across the country
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
You all seem to be assuming that, in an Obama presidency, the rifles you own will be grandfathered. What if they were not?

What rifles? New avant garde sport, rifle fishing for carp. Durn thing swam under the boat and with my perfect follow through I ran half a mag on full auto into the hull. Had all my guns with me, lost everything, sank like a rock.  sad

Seriously I would hope for massive non-compliance. None of our centerfire rifles are safe in a perfect gun grabber's British wet dream but I think that such a ban is immediately unlikely. Politicians lose their seats and anyone charged with enforcing "turn 'em all in" has some serious reservations about their new job being known to the public. I think the first ban if one came would be similar to '94, then there would be a registration push such as California did, then a turn them in or NFA type papering scheme. If you don't have anything prior to the registration or turn in phase you are SOL. If you do you can make decisions about how compliant you want to be. I think Heller helps. By math if you figure there are 80 million gun owners in the country if even 800,000 somewhat resist and 80K really resist it will make any outright ban pretty dicey.

On the ARs I don't like bling either. 20" A2 configuration with ACOG in the carry handle and some spray paint is it for me.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »
What rifles I own?

You lose yours in a tragic boating accident also ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Mine are going to be lost in a terrible Constitution-defending accident.

I don't own a boat.

(EDIT: I really hope it doesn't come to that.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
I picked up some debt when I bought my HD TV and had some dental bills come in.  Had to sell some stuff......

I don't like a lot of bling on the AR, but I do like the flat top.  My 20" Armalite is a flattop.  I have a carry handle attachment, but I never use it.  A red dot with a buis is preferred. 

If it gets really bad, I should soon receive a Fulton Armory scout mount for my Garand.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:22 PM »
Uhhhhh, an oddball firearm that doesn't have plentiful ammo available is useless.  If you think you're gonna stock everything you might need,  you might want to re-think your entire 'strategy'

Thought about it pretty hard actually. 4 K-31s, 1200 rounds of ammo, more new reloadable brass, takes .308 projectiles, have press. If I loan a rifle out I can limit the ammo supply handed out and be pretty sure that if allegiances change the loanee will have a club once the two stripper clips are gone. If staying put 1200 rounds and a reloader will take you far. If traveling, 60 rounds better solve your problems or they may be unsolvable. With a hand press and any supply of any other .30 caliber ammunition I can make it go forever. Pull down and recycle. Cheap, accurate and plentiful. The ammo cost is about as cheap as quality .223 is nowadays. Not a primary battery gun but will survive a lot of bans since it is not a self loader.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 07:14:30 PM »
I don't live where you live, that's part of the strategy. No population centers nearby. Lots of woods close by if I really want to Plan B it.
AKA Navy Joe   

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
Wow, nothing like a few key strokes to put this thread back on topic.

As for me, I already have a mini-14, two 10/22's and my Ruger .45.  Have a Para .45 on order that I will pick up when I get home from this two year vacation I have been on.  After that I am looking at an AR variant in 6.8 or 7.62. 

Any ban that goes into place just maybe the beginning of our next civil war.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »
Interesting trivia note, the bans keep missing strange and rare rifles like the Czech VZ-52/57 rifle, which is a wood-stocked 7.62x39 semiauto with a folding-flush blade bayonet. The original 52 is 7.62x45 and finding ammo is nearly impossible, plus it's highly corrosive.

If you can find one that wasn't eaten by corrosive ammo, might not be a bad investment to have an "off ban" rifle like that. It might be the only sort one can sell as a loophole.

Uhhhhh, an oddball firearm that doesn't have plentiful ammo available is useless.  If you think you're gonna stock everything you might need,  you might want to re-think your entire 'strategy' 

Read more carefully. As I said, the ORIGINAL 52 is an oddball. However, the transitional 52/57 uses 7.62x39 like any AK derivative. They can still be found, and are never on bans because they're relatively unknown.

Thought about it pretty hard actually. 4 K-31s, 1200 rounds of ammo, more new reloadable brass, takes .308 projectiles, have press. If I loan a rifle out I can limit the ammo supply handed out and be pretty sure that if allegiances change the loanee will have a club once the two stripper clips are gone. If staying put 1200 rounds and a reloader will take you far. If traveling, 60 rounds better solve your problems or they may be unsolvable. With a hand press and any supply of any other .30 caliber ammunition I can make it go forever. Pull down and recycle. Cheap, accurate and plentiful. The ammo cost is about as cheap as quality .223 is nowadays. Not a primary battery gun but will survive a lot of bans since it is not a self loader.

I am just glad I bought several black lunchboxes of GP-11 when it was cheap, before people realized HEY IT'S MATCH GRADE!!! The stuff is out of control, now. Prvi is about the same as .308 in cost, though.

My K-31 has a Nikon scope on it now, using the St. Marie clamp mount that doesn't hurt the rifle at all. Perfect bolt-action, I think. Though I suppose the Obamaniacs would consider that a "military sniper rifle" or something. And, of course, high powered. Tongue

Also, I somehow doubt that hundreds of thousands of veterans, having fought with an M-4 or M-16 for several years, will be okay with being told "Sorry, we know you know the rifle like your own hand and fought for the US with it...you can't have an AR to defend your family with. It's too dangerous."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »
I think $230 for 480 rounds of high quality .30 caliber ammunition is a screaming deal in today's market. I need to stop buying components and buy more GP-11 before it goes away.
AKA Navy Joe   

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »
I think $230 for 480 rounds of high quality .30 caliber ammunition is a screaming deal in today's market. I need to stop buying components and buy more GP-11 before it goes away.

When I bought the lunchboxes, it was $79 each. I wish I had bought more. I could have made a decorative wall or something. sad

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
Ok fine, I hate you now. I bought a lot of those Portuguese .308 200 rd packs and shot them at $29.99. I have one left. I wish I had a trailer of them with the price they pull now.  Back to the influence of the presidential race, ever gun company CEO better send Bill Clinton really nice cigars or interns, they never dreamed of making money like this before the '94 ban.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2008, 03:54:07 AM »
I bought one of those cases, plus a few 60 round packs.  I don't shoot it much so I have hardly touched it.  I need to shoot some more of the soft point ammo I have to make sure it will be accurate.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2008, 04:01:32 AM »
They're still the neatest ammo containers I've seen. Just so...Swiss.

Black soft plasticized card or something, waterproof, with a carry handle. Open that, and there's eight fitted bricks of 60 inside, and a strip to pull the first one out so you don't need to dig it out. Each brick unwraps into six neat boxes of ten, all in the same clean white with black, grey and white labels with helvetica font. And every round is sealed at the bullet and base, with a mirrorlike nickel-coated bullet.

Still doesn't look like something from 1978. Looks kinda like one of those BUY GOLD AND SILVER ads, doesn't it?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »
Or maybe just those Mitchell's Mauser ads.  Smiley

erictank

• friends
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
Guns are never plain jane.  They're plain Jayne.   smiley

Not all; some are Vera.   cool

Only if they're lucky.

Actually, make that: Only if YOU'RE lucky.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I'm not worried about gun control legislation, anyway.  It's been proven a loser for Democrats.

Doesn't matter; the Dems are still trying.  That's the biggest reason I vote Republican, even though my sentiments are more libertarian.