Author Topic: New CAFE Mileage Numbers Announced  (Read 6076 times)

griz

• friend
Re: New CAFE Mileage Numbers Announced
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »
that can't be the case.  GM is/was the parent company of both hummer, Saturn, Pontiac, Cadillac, and yet the higher MPG vehicles of Saturn offset the Cadillacs.

How do you/them define different companies?  Ferrari is just as much Fiat as scion and Lexus are Toyota.  U Ferrari/fiat different than Cadillac/GM?  Chevrolet/GM?  Lamborghini/VW?

Badge doesn't matter.

I think you're right.  I looked up the way they calculate it and it's confusing since they have exceptions and the rules change year to year.  Plus I think I was confusing the gas guzzler tax on individual cars with the penalties paid by the makers.  Anyway, millions are paid by some foreign brands, including Fiat, each year.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
55mpg hmmmm....
Sooo.... expect SUVs to continue to sell strongly as the only cheap large passenger vehicle available. I expect this will be the death blow to the  station wagon. If I am right about minivan classification, I expect they come out with a hybrid or diesel version. New minivans are already expensive, so I expect that market will also shrink.

Station wagons have been gone for sometime, minivan and SUV replaced them. I would imagine a station wagon built with today's engine technology would dow quite well MPG wise.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »
Station wagons have been gone for sometime, minivan and SUV replaced them. I would imagine a station wagon built with today's engine technology would dow quite well MPG wise.

The Chevy HHR sure looks like a station wagon  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »
I dunno. I heard that if you order a Chevy Volt, Obama himself will deliver it to your door while wearing a Pope hat.

I think Chevy has stopped production on the Volt.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

They were charging too much for it.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »

Not stopped, just shut down for four weeks. Second shut down this year.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/chevrolet-volt-plant-to-close-four-weeks-1.3934483

Article on the new CAFE regulations.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-cafe-numbers-game-making-sense-of-the-new-fuel-economy-regulations-feature

The money quote,
In the end, there’s little question that the technology exists—or can be developed—to meet these standards. But even more certain is that such technology will make 2025 vehicles far more costly than today’s cars and trucks. Whether the increment will be tabulated using four- or five-digit numbers remains to be seen.

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »

« Reply #49 on: Today at 06:06:59 AM »
Increase CAFE and increase road deaths.

Let people / the market decide what the ywant to prioritize.
Bbbbut the might choose wrongly!  We as-global village couldn't permit tha, no, can we?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »

Chevy could not keep current.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »

Except for Subaru. And some cars might be considered station wagons (at least by your insurance company), even if they are smaller and sportier than Mom's old station wagon of yore. The Mazda 3 hatchback, for example.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:03 PM »

What about all those Subaru Outbacks?  Between my parents and sister alone they own 3.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
What about all those Subaru Outbacks?  Between my parents and sister alone they own 3.

Subaru markets them as a sport utility wagon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2012, 11:37:46 PM »
And the difference is??
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
And the difference is??

Size, passenger seating, tailgate vs hatchback.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »
So they're compact station wagons. Nothing new.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
The station wagons I remember as a kid mostly had lifting hatches and seated 5-6 in 2 rows.  Other than maybe having a bit more truck space that current wagons there's not that much of a difference.
Formerly sumpnz

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:12 AM »
Thanks Scout.

I think the wiggle room is this part:
CAFE has separate standards for "passenger cars" and "light trucks", despite the majority of "light trucks" actually being used as passenger cars. The market share of "light trucks" grew steadily from 9.7% in 1979 to 47% in 2001 and remained in 50% numbers up to 2011. [4] More than 500,000 vehicles in the 1999 model year exceeded the 8,500 lb (3,900 kg) GVWR cutoff and were thus omitted from CAFE calculations.[5]

This Wiki entry suggests there are 2 numbers. The 55mpg number everyone talks about. And the other number that affects SUVs, Sport Utility Wagons, and trucks that everyone who can afford to, decides to drive instead because of these stupid rules.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
CAFE is not about cars, it is not about auto technology, it is about mass transit and fulfilling, by imperial edict, the collectivist dreams hatched on European drawing boards back in the '30s. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
CAFE is not about cars, it is not about auto technology, it is about mass transit and fulfilling, by imperial edict, the collectivist dreams hatched on European drawing boards back in the '30s.

CAFE provides the Left with another tool to use in their quest to 'desuburbanize' America.  If POVs are too expensive and unobtainable for the middle class, then living in single family homes in the suburbs becomes impossible.  Americans will eventually be forced into dense multifamily urban housing via an assault on their pocketbooks.

A prime example of this is the expansion of the light rail system in the Portland area.  In reading the explanations and edicts that have come down from Metro (Portland area elected regional government), they make it very clear that urbanization is their goal. 
I suspect this is the case in much of the country.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.