Author Topic: Greecing the skids  (Read 10397 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Greecing the skids
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45114513/ns/world_news-europe/#.TrAFl3LGx1I

So, the Greek Prime Minister is going to put the Greek bailout package to a vote of the people.  Based on the stock market so far this morning, this is not raising confidence in the resolution to the Euro crisis, brokered just last week. 

The vote will take place in January; I wonder if the Greek PM will last that long.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Greecing the skids
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45114513/ns/world_news-europe/#.TrAFl3LGx1I

So, the Greek Prime Minister is going to put the Greek bailout package to a vote of the people.  Based on the stock market so far this morning, this is not raising confidence in the resolution to the Euro crisis, brokered just last week. 

The vote will take place in January; I wonder if the Greek PM will last that long.

Of course he will last that long; he's a rock star [in Greece] for this.  The Greeks want to continue partying on Germany's credit card -- how do you think they'll vote??
"It's good, though..."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
*expletive deleted*ck Greece. They've made their bed, now they can lie in it.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
I never thought the stock market rally was anything more than a short term burst of hollow gusto.  If it hadn't been this Greek referendum it would have been something else that quashed it.
I am not sanguine about what the Greeks will decide; it seems a LOT of them still want their entitlements and goodies if the riots were any judge. 
This  may turn out REAL bad .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .  :'( >:D :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
*expletive deleted* Greece. They've made their bed, now they can lie in it.
Snort! That pretty much covers the Greek situation!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
It's a shame to see a people that took the initiative in exploring reality rush to abandon it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
So help me here, why shouldn't Greece refuse the bailout package, default on the debt, and tell Europe to shove it where the sun don't shine?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
So help me here, why shouldn't Greece refuse the bailout package, default on the debt, and tell Europe to shove it where the sun don't shine?

Logically? Because that would mean they'd have to balance their budget RIGHT NOW as no one would loan them anymore money.

And they don't want that either. They want the free money spigot to keep going.

Personally, I hope they do that. Maybe the consequences they face will wake people up over here. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
If they do that do they have some plan on how to keep their government running?

Honest question, I know nothing about Greek politics, but weren't there riots over just the thought of cutting back entitlements?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
Logically? Because that would mean they'd have to balance their budget RIGHT NOW as no one would loan them anymore money.

And they don't want that either. They want the free money spigot to keep going.

Personally, I hope they do that. Maybe the consequences they face will wake people up over here. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that, though.

I'd  certainly take that over having some fellows in Brussels, vaguely resembling a human being, tell me how to run my country.

There's no specific reason we should sympathize with the Germans and French over the Greeks here.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
Papandreou is doing the right thing, albeit for the wrong reasons and several months too late. 

His government will almost certainly fall over the next few days, Greece will be forced into the bailout, there will be no referendum and we will probably see large-scale rioting followed by some kind of military takeover (and associated unpleasantness) in the weeks afterwards.   The Euro - in its current form - will still fail, and those that lent money to Greece at really high levels of interest will not get their money back; just as those who did the same to Italy and Spain will find out.

Hopefully, what emerges from the ashes will be an improvement.  The EU is a good idea, implemented awfully, run by overpaid bureaucrats who have no accountability and comprising many states run by people who are openly corrupt.  This is why it - and those states - are failing.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
I'm not sure the EU is a great idea as it is.  At least the Euro is not a great idea IMO and this is pretty much why.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Greece seems to have two choices:

a.) Remain in the EU and accept steep austerity dictated by Brussels. Remaining in the EU has benefits and drawbacks to their economy.
b.) Leave the EU, be forced into steep austerity by world market after default. Leaving the EU has benefits and drawbacks to their economy.

Considering the success of Iceland, I would recommend option 2. It also seems the path to greater self determination and improved national character.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
I've been wondering if it would be cheaper for Germany to just invade Italy and Greece kick out the governments and all the stupid agreements they've signed with the public sector workers and other parties and then go from there.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »
I seem to recall the last couple times Germany went invading across Europe.  Not only did it not solve Germany's problems but it didn't really help anyone else either.

Actually it did kinda help our depression.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
Their trains run on time again, we get an economic boost.

Win-win.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
I'd  certainly take that over having some fellows in Brussels, vaguely resembling a human being, tell me how to run my country.

There's no specific reason we should sympathize with the Germans and French over the Greeks here.

That seems to be the APS consensus.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Unfortunately, one form of parasitism doesn't justify another.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »

Yes there is micro - our major banks (who exist thanks to our money) want us to reject any notion of Greek independence on this issue.   Therefore, we do.

I'm constantly amazed at how even relatively principled American conservatives will abandon all rational analysis whenever a major financial or corporate lobby says jump.

Ron Paul is the only public figure I've seen who is immune to this.  I'm taking an absentee ballot just to vote for him.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

Yeah, I dunno.  They (Germany) strike me as the 53% of Europe.  The stinking, commie 53% of Europe.  Stinking, commie, unable to see that Greece is a worse credit risk than your average car title loan...

Ok, I see your point.

Alright, I don't care anymore.  I have two conditions for the continued existence of Europe:

1. This better not cost me anything.
2. This better be entertaining.

Beyond that, I'm good with Greece trying to invade Germany, or vice-versa.  Actually, that would be funny, and would satisfy condition #2.  As long as I don't have to pay to rebuild anything.  If you can retire at 50, you can deal with a good thrashing.

And for the record, I hereby predict bullets crossing borders.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:36:03 PM by Azrael256 »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
Unfortunately, one form of parasitism doesn't justify another.

Germany is a welfare/police/corporatist state. Greece is a welfare/police/corporatist  state with worse spending habits. There is not a moral, or any kind of sensible reason that one of these is morally superior to another.

If there are to be welfare states (and frankly, a welfare state, for all its flaws and evils, is still better than most of the other forms of rule known to man) I'd rather they'd at least be sovereign and ruled by their own people.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Yes there is micro - our major banks (who exist thanks to our money) want us to reject any notion of Greek independence on this issue.   Therefore, we do. I'm constantly amazed at how even relatively principled American conservatives will abandon all rational analysis whenever a major financial or corporate lobby says jump.

Greek independence???  Their lives in Greece depend on other people's money.

It takes a user and a pusher.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
Their trains run on time again, we get an economic boost.
Win-win.

[sniff] That was beautiful, man!  :'(

(Scout can abruptly close the thread now)
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
I'm not sure the EU is a great idea as it is.  At least the Euro is not a great idea IMO and this is pretty much why.

A European customs union is a great idea.  Teh EU, the euro, and all the associated mess not so much.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
I've been wondering if it would be cheaper for Germany to just invade Italy and Greece kick out the governments and all the stupid agreements they've signed with the public sector workers and other parties and then go from there.

The German PM has already made veiled references to it, so I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened in the long run.  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:55:17 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth