Author Topic: Heidi Yewman (the Reluctant Carrier), after project interview  (Read 6513 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segment/my-month-with-a-gun-it-made-me-more-fearful/51e083d7fe34443df900028f

Kind of a live-blog through listening to the interview.

It was a reminder, a terrible reminder that bad things can happen any time....

Welcome to the real world, Heidi.  Let me tell you about bad things.

those thirty days with the gun, I became a really fearful person....I never got training, I got rid of the gun.  I won't be getting any training because I won't need to.....a friend melted it down*

A friend with a furnace that can melt down the glock slide and barrel.  Yeah, OK.  Or the friend said "free gun!  cool!"  It must be nice to have $500 to piss away on a lark like this.

...I didn't have to worry about leaving the house

Uhh, Heidi?  Your first insight, about how bad things can happen?  Hello?

..and I couldn't bring the gun with me when I went into Oregon

Reciprocity? (just checked, OR does not honor Washington permit.  So she's actually right about something.)  

And i note she's calling in from Phoenix, AZ.  Is she aware she's in a "just do it" constitutional carry state?  Is that why she looks so on edge in the video?

She's pathetic.  Psychological issues.   And I note there is no option for comments.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:13:13 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Heidi Yewman (the Reluctant Carrier), after project interview
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
OK cool. Don't carry. It's your call Heidi. That's what I love about American Diversity.

Just please don't use YOUR feelings and insecurities to try and legislate MY life choices.

Then we can all be friends.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »
OK cool. Don't carry. It's your call Heidi. That's what I love about American Diversity.

Just please don't use YOUR feelings and insecurities to try and legislate MY life choices.

Straight to the heart of our dilemma. Live and let live just doesn't seem to be a viable philosophy these days.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
Well said, Dogmush and SAD.

And yeah, what a coinkidink she had a friend with a furnace. Plus it would be the first time in history fire melted steel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »

And yeah, what a coinkidink she had a friend with a furnace. Plus it would be the first time in history fire melted steel.

I'd think an acetylene torch would make short work of it.  Failing that, a plasma cutter.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
'd think an acetylene torch would make short work of it.  Failing that, a plasma cutter.

Yeah, are any of her friends likely to have that?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:50 PM »
Yeah, are any of her friends likely to have that?

Leftist union members, sure.  Easy peasy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »

I see what you did there.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

[Heidi voice]But I know what's good for you.  Even if you think you do, you are wrong.[/Heidi voice]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
To sum up.

A non-prohibited person acqired a gun and permit and carried it in public per the law for 30 days, without seeking training, or reading a book, pamphlet, or even the manual that came with the gun, and nothing bad happened.

We need gun control why?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
To sum up.

A non-prohibited person acqired a gun and permit and carried it in public per the law for 30 days, without seeking training, or reading a book, pamphlet, or even the manual that came with the gun, and nothing bad happened.

We need gun control why?

Because having a gun made her "more fearful." That's a good reason, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
This is an illustration on how many 'studies' by leftists are carried out.
Start with a desired outcome, rig and bias an experiment to get the desired outcome, publish results.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:26 AM »

Because having a gun made her "more fearful." That's a good reason, right?

Hey Heidi, don't buy another gun.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
It's not what did happen, it's what could have happened.  And it's all about my feelings, not logic or reason [/whingy leftist voice]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
It's not what did happen, it's what could have happened.  And it's all about my feelings, not logic or reason [/whingy leftist voice]

To use a favorite quote a friend of mine uses on his take on the 'Could have' or 'if' fallacy:
"If grandma had a d!*$, she's be grandpa."
It works best with a heavy application of sarcastic tone.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
There's something I can't figure out. Does carrying a gun make one so paranoid that one fears to leave the house? Or does it embolden one to go hunting for unarmed black teenagers? So confused...

Or maybe those with bad judgment, just have bad judgment with or without a gun? And isn't Mrs. Yewman just as frightened with or without a gun? Without a gun, she's paranoid about someone else's gun going off in the Starbucks. With a gun, she's paranoid about her own gun.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
And isn't Mrs. Yewman just as frightened with or without a gun? Without a gun, she's paranoid about someone else's gun going off in the Starbucks. With a gun, she's paranoid about her own gun.

Like I said in the initial post, there seem to be some psych issues. 

Levant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
those thirty days with the gun, I became a really fearful person....I never got training, I got rid of the gun.  I won't be getting any training because I won't need to.....a friend melted it down*

I have a radial arm saw.  The thing scares the crap out of me.  A radial arm saw is the most dangerous tool in the typical wood shop.  Then I got training.  Now I have a healthy respect for the saw but I can use it with confidence that I am very unlikely to become a radial-arm-saw statistic.

Any fear of an inanimate object is irrational unless you have had training and still find the object threatening.  Even then, if the object can be used safely and you have fear it is really a fear that you, personally, cannot operate the object in a safe manner.

The opinion of a person who bought a gun, got no training, and then threw it out because it scared her is a completely useless opinion to anyone.  In fact it is a dangerous opinion in that others may make decisions based on this worthless opinion.

"I admit I don't know anything about guns and I refuse to learn anything about guns but my expert opinion is that guns are too dangerous."
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Levant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »

According to the articles on Huffpost, it's a Glock 17.  It could be melted.  And it's a very bad choice for a first-time gun owner who isn't willing to take a lot of training and practice.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 02:31:59 AM »

Quote from: fistful on July 19, 2013, 10:52:22 AM

And isn't Mrs. Yewman just as frightened with or without a gun? Without a gun, she's paranoid about someone else's gun going off in the Starbucks. With a gun, she's paranoid about her own gun.

Like I said in the initial post, there seem to be some psych issues. 

No psych issues.  Just doublethink.  Doublethink is the new normal.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
To use a favorite quote a friend of mine uses on his take on the 'Could have' or 'if' fallacy:
"If grandma had a d!*$, she's be grandpa."
It works best with a heavy application of sarcastic tone.
My favorite is "What if Barbie had a hand grenade? What are you talking about?"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
I had to leave the gun in the car when I spoke at a community college about gun violence, which was ironic, because 89 of the 90 crimes reported there last year were car break-ins.

Gold.

However...

The guy at the store shouldn’t be allowed to let me buy the gun without mandatory training. The government shouldn’t have let me get a permit to carry a concealed weapon without mandatory training.

I HATE that *expletive deleted*ing word when used to tell someone ELSE what to do.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
We still win. Idiot buys gun. Carries it about, and leaves it about, in a most reckless fashion. No one is hurt.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Part 2: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/22/stupid-immoral-dangerous-coward-my-month-with-a-gun.html

Let me guess.  Does "doubling down on stupid" sound about right?

(not done reading)

Sometimes the thoughts intensify and I can’t sleep at all. Mostly, the gun in my house causes me an anxiousness and fear that’s draining. And it leads to some questions that have no easy answers.

Sounds a bit like what I've been experiencing this past week.  No gun necessary.

Since having the gun I’ve had two repairmen, a carpet cleaner, and a salesmen in my home. If the gun’s for self-protection, it’s not going to do any good in the safe,..

O-kaaaaay.   Think, Heidi, think.  You're on to something here.  Work it through.

but it’s not really practical to have the gun pointing at them as they work. How else would I eliminate the element of surprise if I were attacked?

But then she turns on the stupid.

Suspiciousness and fear of people is new to me, and I don’t like it.

No, Heidi, it's not new.  You've hated and feared us for a while.  

The worst part was running into friends as I ran errands. I’m a hugger, and I learned very quickly that hugging is not a good idea when wearing a weapon.

<Snicker.  >

Did anyone tell her about the "Walmart Walk"?

thought the gun would make me feel more powerful, more confident, and less fearful. I was wrong. All I felt was fear....There were days when I put the gun back in the safe and stayed home because it simply took too much energy to be scared.

It's all about her feelings.

I learned a lot during my month with a gun.

I suspect she didn't, really.

And I didn’t have to worry that one day I would get a diagnosis or have a personal crisis and have a gun on hand to turn on myself.

Yup, one great big bundle of anxieties.

I learned guns are heavy and hard to conceal.

Not always, Heidi.   Yeah, your G17 is a brick.  

I learned that some gun owners aren’t very nice when you write something they don’t like.

But Heidi, we don't, and can't know this for a fact.  Your moderators allowed only a very, very few comments to be posted.

Today I sit in a different coffee shop, Peet’s Tea & Coffee, because, unlike Starbucks, it doesn’t allow weapons.

That sign?  Never mind, Heidi.  You wouldn't get the point I'd try to make.

I’m just a mom who wanted to see what it felt like. Now I know.

You know what it felt like, for you.

Yup, doubling down.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:40:29 PM by lee n. field »