Author Topic: The Bear and the Community Organizer  (Read 6262 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Bear and the Community Organizer
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The Bear and the Community Organizer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:18:37 AM »
Sadly plausible if unlikely
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »
Sadly plausible if unlikely

Not even that unlikely.

We blinked in Georgia.

We blinked in Ukraine.

We're blinking in Iran.

We're blinking at ISIS.

Why would Putin expect any other reaction in the Balkans?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »
But he'll have the excuse that he could not hear his phone ringing because of all the crowd noise.

And I'm sure Putin will be considerate to wait till some time after 3:00 AM EST to kick things off.

And I can get you a screaming deal on oceanfront property in Death Valley.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
Not even that unlikely.

We blinked in Georgia.

We blinked in Ukraine.

We're blinking in Iran.

We're blinking at ISIS.

We didn't blink, we did it differently. Why do you think oil is bouncing between $45-55? Russia is very dependent upon oil exports for funding, lower oil prices means less income. Less income can lead to civil unrest when government services are reduced. You don't have to drop bombs to win a war.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
That scenario is frighteningly plausible with this POTUS.

(I did like part about the "United States Military Center of Excellence for Diversity.” )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
We didn't blink, we did it differently. Why do you think oil is bouncing between $45-55? Russia is very dependent upon oil exports for funding, lower oil prices means less income. Less income can lead to civil unrest when government services are reduced. You don't have to drop bombs to win a war.

Nor do you have to drop them to start a war...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »

Except we didn't have a damn thing to do with it, and if Obama had his way the prices would be going up. Other than that, your theory is sound.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

gunnkid

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:59 AM »
I actually like Putin. He's a straightforward leader and still uses AKs. You can stuff an AK barrel with mud and it'll still shoot fine. The US could benefit from switching to a design that just works.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
Putin is a murdering piece of garbage.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »
Putin is a psychopathic mobster.

There is nothing admiral about him as his moral corruption defiles any potentially positive attributes his government controlled media ascribes to him.   
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
Not even that unlikely.

We blinked in Georgia.

We blinked in Ukraine.

We're blinking in Iran.

We're blinking at ISIS.

*shrug*

Drop weapons and supplies to the good guys if they exist in the situation, but otherwise, I have no problem with avoiding the privilege of being Team America: World Police. And paying for it.

We dumped oh, a trillion dollars into Iraq and Afghanistan. Aside from lining some pockets, we made modest gains. Until we adapt a strategic policy of "bomb anyone that pisses us off, then roll over them with Abrams, drop a couple care packages if the locals make nice, leave, repeat as necessary", I don't think we should be looking for additional wars. Should that be universal policy? Nope. But it should be our default. In the last couple decades, the US has a policy of winning wars and then immediately losing the politics afterwards. While dumping billions into corrupt hands with extremely modest results.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
*shrug*

Drop weapons and supplies to the good guys if they exist in the situation, but otherwise, I have no problem with avoiding the privilege of being Team America: World Police. And paying for it.

We dumped oh, a trillion dollars into Iraq and Afghanistan. Aside from lining some pockets, we made modest gains. Until we adapt a strategic policy of "bomb anyone that pisses us off, then roll over them with Abrams, drop a couple care packages if the locals make nice, leave, repeat as necessary", I don't think we should be looking for additional wars. Should that be universal policy? Nope. But it should be our default. In the last couple decades, the US has a policy of winning wars and then immediately losing the politics afterwards. While dumping billions into corrupt hands with extremely modest results.

RevDisk for sec state.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »
Quite honestly, if the American people don't have the stomach for what Rev proposed, then we need to do full on empire-building.

There are no half-measures. Either we conquer and then rule the land or we crush the people and leave with a warning that we'll be back if they cross us again.

We don't appear to have the fortitude to do either.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Quite honestly, if the American people don't have the stomach for what Rev proposed, then we need to do full on empire-building.

There are no half-measures. Either we conquer and then rule the land or we crush the people and leave with a warning that we'll be back if they cross us again.

We don't appear to have the fortitude to do either.

Conquer and rule isn't a practical option. While I'd be amused to have Kurdistan as our 51st state, we don't have the political structures to actually run an empire. We don't realistically have the structures to create the structures to run an empire. We do the have both the bureaucratic and political structures to blow up entire countries, and then leave.

I agree with ya, just saying, the second option is more viable even if it's less humanitarian and likely more costly.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »
Perhaps ancient history has a lesson to offer - Rome had problems with Carthage for a long time, but after fighting a third Punic War . . . they didn't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »
Pat Buchanan has been arguing against going too far with the Russians, and I can't say I disagree with him.  Every president has chided the Russians for doing what they do, but none have ever taken action that could lead to open warfare between the two countries. It was a given that the Russians would do what they wished in their little part of the world.

The question is whether iEstonia or Chechnya or Georgia or some other small country is worth risking a war with Russia. That's Buchanan's question, and I'd have to say no.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Pat Buchanan has been arguing against going too far with the Russians, and I can't say I disagree with him.  Every president has chided the Russians for doing what they do, but none have ever taken action that could lead to open warfare between the two countries. It was a given that the Russians would do what they wished in their little part of the world.

The question is whether iEstonia or Chechnya or Georgia or some other small country is worth risking a war with Russia. That's Buchanan's question, and I'd have to say no.

Estonia is a NATO member.

If Putin invades Estonia he is starting war with us whether we choose to show up for it or not.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »

If Putin invades Estonia he is starting war with us whether we choose to show up for it or not.

That was another thing Buchanan thought was a mistake, and for the reason you state. 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 06:27:38 AM »

Making NATO members in the former soviet states was itself risking war - it was done at a time that Russia was in disarray.  Now that it isn't, we're stuck with the risk.

More properly the question should be:  is the fantasy of pax Americana worth the risk of a less imaginary nuclear holocaust that may or may not destroy our way of life?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »
Perhaps ancient history has a lesson to offer - Rome had problems with Carthage for a long time, but after fighting a third Punic War . . . they didn't.

Rome wasn't fighting enemies who had the capability to obliterate Rome, Alexandria, Palestine and Gaul within hours, even if they were themselves destroyed - we are.

Imperial politics don't work with the nuclear club.  People in the know have realised this since 1945, which is why no nuclear power has ever been treated like non-nuclear powers are routinely treated.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »
*shrug*

We dumped oh, a trillion dollars into Iraq and Afghanistan. Aside from lining some pockets, we made modest gains. Until we adapt a strategic policy of "bomb anyone that pisses us off, then roll over them with Abrams, drop a couple care packages if the locals make nice, leave, repeat as necessary", I don't think we should be looking for additional wars. Should that be universal policy? Nope. But it should be our default. In the last couple four decades, the US has a policy of winning wars and then immediately losing the politics afterwards. While dumping billions into corrupt hands with extremely modest results.

FIFY, ever since we left Nam 40 years ago at the end of the month.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
Conquer and rule isn't a practical option. While I'd be amused to have Kurdistan as our 51st state, we don't have the political structures to actually run an empire. We don't realistically have the structures to create the structures to run an empire. We do the have both the bureaucratic and political structures to blow up entire countries, and then leave.

I agree with ya, just saying, the second option is more viable even if it's less humanitarian and likely more costly.

Very good point. And attempting to create those structures is likely to be even more detrimental to freedom here at home.

(Though we may get there, notwithstanding the current Constitution.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 06:06:56 AM »
I think the administration is just trying to start a National Emergency.   >:D
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »
Making NATO members in the former soviet states was itself risking war - it was done at a time that Russia was in disarray.  Now that it isn't, we're stuck with the risk.

More properly the question should be:  is the fantasy of pax Americana worth the risk of a less imaginary nuclear holocaust that may or may not destroy our way of life?

Yeah, because scrooo'em.  They aren't smart enough to have their countries in the West, then they deserve to have the Russians (or Soviets) lord over them.

How many other countries do we throw under the bus, just to prevent nuclear holocaust or no destroy our way of life?   And for forty+ years after WWII we did have Pax Americana for the most part.  Which, IIRC, resulted in putting one in the WIN column 1989 when the Wall came down.    Seems like we have spent the last few years undoing all that we gained that night.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.