Author Topic: Jeb Bush calls for stronger surveillance powers for the state  (Read 2745 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Jeb Bush calls for stronger surveillance powers for the state
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »
Not like I'd vote for him, anyway.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
Not much of a surprise.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
Hey, maybe he'll make Christie his running mate. And make Peter King the head of the NSA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
Reason # 258,356,459,215 that I won't ever vote for him or Christie
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »
Hey, maybe he'll make Christie his running mate. And make Peter King the head of the NSA.
That'd be funny if it wasn't so likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
If the GOP ends up with a Bush/Christie ticket I'll vote for Hillary just out of spite. At that point it really wouldn't matter as we would be royally screwed either way....of course it's not like we aren't royally screwed either way anyhow.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »
If the GOP ends up with a Bush/Christie ticket I'll vote for Hillary just out of spite. At that point it really wouldn't matter as we would be royally screwed either way....of course it's not like we aren't royally screwed either way anyhow.

The sooner the plug gets pulled the faster the drain clog can clear. =(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »

Will Hillary still be able to run for president while in the penitentiary? [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
The odds of Hillary facing any consequences for anything are pretty small.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOP_2016_BUSH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-18-18-13-25

Sadly, he didn't say it in Spanish so his wife was unable to understand him.
or visit the jail, or mental facility, so his kids could chime in

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
Jeb: America Can't Afford Constitutional Rights for Americans, Must Afford Them for Foreigners

From OP article:
Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Americans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat “evildoers.”

Separately, Bush told CBS News that he disagreed with rival Donald Trump on the birthright of children born in the United States to parents who are immigrants living in the country illegally.

“That’s a constitutional right,” Bush said. “Mr. Trump can say he’s for this because people are frustrated that it’s abused. We ought to fix the problem rather than take away rights that are constitutionally endowed.”
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
From OP article:

Cog 'dis, Mr. Bush.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
I really hope Jeb tries to talk about this during the debate.  I think his support would dwindle quite a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »
“It’s not realistic to create a fence in places where fences can’t be built. You’d have people, American citizens, on the south side of the fence in some places. Or they’re on the wrong side of the fence,” Bush said.

Do they make them any dumber than this?
Fence tech is pretty old, I hear the Chinese made some pretty big ones...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
Do they make them any dumber than this?
Fence tech is pretty old, I hear the Chinese made some pretty big ones...

Even the proto-Italians managed a couple.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Even the proto-Italians managed a couple.

Let's revive Hadrian Jurassic Park style and he can clue us in on the mysteries of how to build a wall.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
I really hope Jeb tries to talk about this during the debate.  I think his support would dwindle quite a bit. 
No kidding. Support for illegals (not his "OOPS" debate moment) is what caused Perry's campaign to tank 4 years ago; specifically, discounted tuition for illegals at TX colleges and universities if they've been living illegally in TX long enough. He signed the bill for it, and when challenged, asserted essentially that people who opposed it were bad people.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
I've been surprised at how poorly Perry is doing, again. So much for the expert campaigner we kept hearing about.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »
Perry ain't even close to ready for prime time.

He will fizzle shortly, hopefully he will know when he's dead.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 02:37:59 AM »
Perry ain't even close to ready for prime time.

He will fizzle shortly, hopefully he will know when he's dead.

Many Texas people keep insisting he's a wily master campaigner. I'm ready to chalk it up to their general obsession with how superior their state is.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
Statists gonna state. And that's what J Bush is. Statist.

Many Texas people keep insisting he's a wily master campaigner. I'm ready to chalk it up to their general obsession with how superior their state is.

Not sure why.  Perry should drop out and back Cruz IMHO.  He's just wasting people's time and he is smart enough to know that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
I haven't heard that and I would disagree anyway.  He was a decently conservative Governor who supported gun rights in a conservative state.  The one time he was seriously challenged for reelection was after he had promised to crack down on illegal immigration then backed out on it.  He had a history of not getting too serious on illegal immigration and supporting big business.  The governor isn't all that powerful in Texas and he was never stupid enough to try to create an income tax. 

IMO, Perry is a bit on the light-weight side for a Presidential Contender.  There are better candidates.  Would I be okay with him as President?  Sure, he would do okay.  Even with his faults, he is more conservative than a lot of other choices.  He isn't the best though.  He also graduated from Texas A&M also which is where I went.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
I've been surprised at how poorly Perry is doing, again. So much for the expert campaigner we kept hearing about.

Not a native Texan here.  Yes, Texas is superior to most states I have lived in (seven) and traveled through (all east of the Mississippi and 1/3 west of it).

Perry thumped every opponent that he went against in Texas.  Not sure if that counts as "master campaigner," but it is empirical evidence that he can win in one of the largest states in the union.  Repeatedly.  He would have won if he had run for Texas gov last time, I would speculate.

Politically, I classify him as a semi-squishy conservative. His greatest action while governing was inaction.  IOW, he was much less intrusive than most and left folk to do their own thing.  Thus, he reaped the rewards when folk did their own thing and made Texas the beacon of economic development in America.  He also appointed generally conservative folk when he had the opportunity. 

That is the reality of his campaigning and governance, as objectively as I can state it.  Extremists will differ, elevating their hobby horse and Perry's unwillingness to ride it into the ground.

As for his current lack of polling success, I see several causes:
1. Cruz, the other Texan, is currently in office and can grandstand as a legicritter instead of having to govern like an executive. 
2. Too many *let's not go there* spoil the broth.  Too many other contenders split the polling. 
3. GOP base that wants to give establishment GOP the big finger have a more flamboyant candidate in Trump.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton