Author Topic: Jill Stein to face criminal charges  (Read 4086 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Jill Stein to face criminal charges
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
But the Feds have asked them to stop production.

If the Feds really wanted to help, they would relax some of the restrictions on refineries and these companies could start building them near where the oil is, instead of having to build pipelines to get it to where it needs to be.

^^^ This.

I don't understand the objections to refineries. Fifty years ago (approximately) I used to drive a route between New England and Maryland. If memory serves, there was a cluster of refineries along the New Jersey Turnpike just south of where Newark Airport is located, and another cluster of refineries south of Philadelphia, near the Delaware line. As far as I know, all those refineries are still there and still operating, and I don't think they generate any pollution worth discussing. I've never heard any complaints.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
But the Feds have asked them to stop production.

If the Feds really wanted to help, they would relax some of the restrictions on refineries and these companies could start building them near where the oil is, instead of having to build pipelines to get it to where it needs to be.
The refinery products still have to be transported.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
The refinery products still have to be transported.

True, but I live in the Midwest, with some of the highest gas prices in the country. It would be nice if it didn't have to take such a long journey. We used to have a refinery about 50 miles from me and the company closed it down.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 10:00:55 PM »
Refineries also tend to support a bunch of small businesses and contractors who provide labor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 10:30:45 PM »
Refineries also tend to support a bunch of small businesses and contractors who provide labor. 

G-d forbid we should actually build places where Americans can work -- in the United States of America.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 11:28:32 PM »
G-d forbid we should actually build places where Americans can work -- in the United States of America.

Or create jobs for people that build those places...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
My work is related to the construction industry. Construction jobs are good -- far better than no jobs at all -- but they tend to be seasonal in many parts of the country (they don't pour concrete or lay asphalt in the northern states, steel workers generally don't erect steel when it's freezing cold and slippery up there, and any number of other trades come to a screeching halt when the first snow flies).

And then there's the fact that construction is inherently (relatively) short term. Say you're building a widget factory. It probably takes about a year to build a factory -- and virtually no trade will be on the site for more than half that time. Once the widget factory is done, unless there's another project starting up somewhere in the region, all those construction workers get laid off. But the people who make widgets can run the factory for fifty years -- as long as people are buying widgets.

So, yes -- construction jobs are good, but good old Made in the USA widget jobs are better.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
Once the widget factory is done, unless there's another project starting up somewhere in the region, all those construction workers get laid off.

Don't forget that there will be more businesses built for all those widget makers to spend their earnings at, and I've worked with plenty of people who built a building then got hired on as maintenance there.