Author Topic: Chelyabinsk meteor - eleven years ago, 15 February 2013  (Read 313 times)

Opportunity

Chelyabinsk meteor - eleven years ago, 15 February 2013
« on: February 15, 2024, 10:11:53 AM »
The Chelyabinsk meteor was a superbolide that entered Earth's atmosphere over the southern Ural region in Russia on 15 February 2013 at about 09:20 YEKT (03:20 UTC).

I remember this day, then listeners called all radio stations and reported an incomprehensible anomaly. No one then understood what had happened at all, and there were a lot of unusual videos left after that))

https://youtu.be/mebWfDlhcRs?si=gpMXdlHqydPEwnOS

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Chelyabinsk meteor - eleven years ago, 15 February 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »
That was quite the event, so much that was pretty big news even here in the US.  I'd not seen that particular image before.  Thanks for sharing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:59:19 PM »
Those Rooskies and their dash cams, hours upon hours of entertainment. :)

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:48:01 PM »
About a year before that I saw a fireball myself - it was a small fraction of the Chelyabinsk event, and lasted maybe a little over a second. But it was right in front of me on my drive home after work and I was thinking "Gee, I wish I'd had a dash cam to catch that."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 02:14:47 PM »
I remember when it first hit the news. Lots of confusion, even more finger-pointing and tin foil speculation. Even after the cause became well established and generally accepted, there were still a core group screaming meteors couldn't do that because they all burn up completely in the atmosphere (never mind meteor craters peppered around the earth).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 05:01:25 PM »
About 15 years ago, past twilight, moonless, out on my back balcony, a big one went over W to E, somewhat S of vertical.  No boom where I was, no sound, but very bright and left a long glowing persistent trail so it made the news.  Turned out it hit in Kansas somewhere and fragments were recovered. Will not forget that memory clip.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:17:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 07:13:28 AM »
I had a similar experience 15-20 years ago on my way home from work at dusk.

Looked up in time to see an incredible streak across the sky right in front of me. Also no boom, but I swear that instead of just a streak of light I could actually see... roiling in the trail, meaning it was either pretty big or it was low in the atmosphere.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Opportunity

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 08:25:07 AM »
Looked up in time to see an incredible streak across the sky right in front of me. Also no boom, but I swear that instead of just a streak of light I could actually see... roiling in the trail, meaning it was either pretty big or it was low in the atmosphere.

It's strange that you didn't hear a sound afterwards. This means the flight altitude was very high...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 09:15:43 AM »
It's strange that you didn't hear a sound afterwards. This means the flight altitude was very high...

I was in my car at the time, with the windows closed and the radio on, but no one reported hearing anything and it never really hit the news papers or local news radio that I heard. It probably did, as it was quite visible and really striking as it happened right at dusk.

Friend of mine says it was probably something about the size of a marble or an orange and, as you said, pretty high up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 09:40:39 AM »
I had a similar experience 15-20 years ago on my way home from work at dusk.

Could have been something man made burning up. Tumbling being seen is common for many man made objects including boosters and because they're not solid no big boom.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 09:59:38 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 09:59:15 AM »
Didn't think of that. True. More than enough space junk out there.