Author Topic: Just Who Is the Hero?  (Read 12138 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Just Who Is the Hero?
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
The moral of the story seems clear - confiscate and destroy the film of all reporters in the area of military operations.

Fixed it for y'all......  grin

Why is it that reporting on these wars is bad?

Do you not think that public support is important? Or is it better if public support is manufactured by means of propaganda, instead of just allowing the public to see whatever information comes out?

If people don't have the "stomach" or whatever you want to term it for continuing a war, the decision should be in their hands.  I don't believe in making-war-by-bureaucracy without the input of the people, and I highly doubt that the founding fathers believed in it either.

So when the fed.gov in WWII tightly controlled media reporting on the war it was wrong and evil?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »
The moral of the story seems clear - confiscate and destroy the film of all reporters in the area of military operations.

Fixed it for y'all......  grin

Why is it that reporting on these wars is bad?

Do you not think that public support is important? Or is it better if public support is manufactured by means of propaganda, instead of just allowing the public to see whatever information comes out?

If people don't have the "stomach" or whatever you want to term it for continuing a war, the decision should be in their hands.  I don't believe in making-war-by-bureaucracy without the input of the people, and I highly doubt that the founding fathers believed in it either.

So when the fed.gov in WWII tightly controlled media reporting on the war it was wrong and evil?

I would say that FDR was not the best thing for civil liberties ever, yes.  I think WWII would have survived a free and open media because the facts strongly weighed in for the War; that's probably why the "tightly controlled media" worked in the first place.  If the "tightly controlled media" actually diverged much from what reporters and citizens would have reported anyway, it probably would've been an abysmal failure.

The only thing worse than an unpopular war is forced propaganda aimed at convincing people they should make it popular.  So yes, in that sense I think the media restrictions were wrong.  About the only scenario you could imagine it being right is if you thought that propaganda was the only way to prevent Hitler from winning the war.

Maybe you don't believe the people would've wanted to stop Hitler without the elites manufacturing propaganda to get them onboard, but I have more faith in democracy myself.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 05:11:34 AM »
You have more faith in the morals of the media that is for sure.  Smiley

In something like WWII where live news coverage and military press briefings are not available to the public, most people only know what the media tells them.  I can see why the govt would want a piece of that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
You have more faith in the morals of the media that is for sure.  Smiley

In something like WWII where live news coverage and military press briefings are not available to the public, most people only know what the media tells them.  I can see why the govt would want a piece of that. 

That's a fair point-but was radio all that different from television for this purpose?  Or the papers? 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."