Author Topic: National news media burying amazing oil breakthrough?  (Read 9044 times)

Desertdog

• friends
National news media burying amazing oil breakthrough?
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
National news media burying amazing oil breakthrough?
Man working to convert all that grows into fuel surprised by 'inattention'
By Joe Kovacs

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=61808

It could potentially be one of the biggest energy breakthroughs in history  genetically manipulating bacteria to quickly convert anything that grows out of the Earth into oil. But the biggest names in the national media have thus far not provided any coverage of this possible solution to skyrocketing gas prices and America's long-term energy security.

A WND story last month introduced to the nation a new technique where altered bacteria "rapidly digest" everything from grass clippings and wood chips, turning them into hydrocarbons for fuels such as gasoline and diesel. If done on a large scale, it could provide billions of barrels of renewable oil every year.

One reader, Joe Russo of Fairbanks, Alaska, called it "the biggest story we've seen in a decade, yet the cable and mainstream news networks haven't even picked up on it."

The apparent inattention comes as a big surprise to the agricultural researcher pioneering the process, J.C. Bell, the CEO of Bell Bio-Energy, Inc.

"We've been on several radio stations, but nothing really national," he said. "We haven't talked to anybody. Nobody's called us  nobody from the Associated Press or CNN or Fox News Channel, which kind of surprised us. We thought it would generate something."

Bell gave an overview of his plans today at the U.S. Defense Department's Worldwide Energy Conference & Trade Show in Arlington, Va., where more than 750 Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard and federal organizations were represented.

"He was very well-received there," said Wesley Cox, owner of WCGA Radio, a news/talk station in St. Simons Island, Ga.

Cox complains, "The mainstream media has been ignoring systematically the facts about energy creation and use, and they've been doing it for years."

He thinks believability could be a factor when it comes to the lack of national coverage.

"It's a lot easier to not run a story than it is to run a story that's not proven yet."

Bell's bacterial discovery has already been published in two Georgia newspapers  the Tifton Gazette and the Macon Telegraph   but neither report was picked up by the Associated Press, despite those papers being members of the news cooperative.

WND contacted the bureau chief at the AP's Atlanta office, who said, "I can't give you an answer as to why, because this is the first I've heard of it. We'll look into it and see what's going on."

Reporter Jana Cone, who documented Bell's claims for the Tifton paper, was also at a loss to explain why the AP neither picked up the story nor assigned its own writer.

"I have no explanation except people don't think it's possible," Cone said. "All of our stuff is available to them, and they pick up stories as they wish. If what [Bell] says is a fact, it could be absolutely huge."

Bell maintains with just 2 billion tons of biomass, his process can produce 5 billion barrels of oil each year naturally, with no negative impact on the environment.

"That's 5 billion barrels of oil that can be produced from just trash," he said.

Despite the national media's silence, Bell is moving forward with plans to make his process a reality.

"It's not even theory anymore," he told WND. "Now we're just engineering. We are within a very few days of announcing the location of our first pilot plant."

The process of converting biomass into energy is not in dispute scientifically.

"Yes it can be done, but you have to do it economically," said Dr. Art Robinson, a research professor of chemistry at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine who publishes the Access to Energy newsletter. "These other ways [of producing energy] work; the only question is if they're competitive in price. Any hydrocarbon under pressure and temperature can turn into oil."

Robinson added, "We only have two competitive ways of making energy at low costs: hydrocarbons [oil, gas, coal and methane clathrate] and nuclear, and both are demonized to the point that our country is in trouble."

For the third straight day today, oil prices settled at a record high, gushing to a record $115.07 a barrel at one point. Gasoline prices have also been surging along with crude. AAA reports gasoline prices hit a new record of $3.399, up more than a penny from the previous day's price of $3.386.

PTK

• friends
Re: National news media burying amazing oil breakthrough?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
Just curious, what happens when this kind of stuff gets into an environment that it shouldn't? Isn't it sort of like the plastic eating bacteria?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
But, but, but, that would be converting (herbivore) food to fuel.   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
Seriously though, if this bacteria were to just be introduced into a forest, would the forest just eventually liquefy?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
Soylent Oil is made of PEOPLE!!!!  shocked
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »
Don't care.

I've invented an amazing new pill that, when dropped into water, allows a car to run on the solution.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
I've long suspected that this sort of concept is what would ultimately prove to be our solution to the oil problem.  I doubt the people in the article have fully cracked the problem, but it's good to see progress.

It's an elegant solution, really.  Solar energy is captured by plants and stored as hydrocarbon biomass.  Man harvests the biomass and uses engineered bacteria to convert it into hydrocarbon liquid vehicle fuel.  Vehicles burn the fuel, releasing atmospheric carbon, water, and transporting Mommy and her precious crotch-fruit to soccer practice.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  The net result is that solar energy is captured and used to provide our transportation needs.

As to the bacteria running amok and liquefying everything, I doubt it.  I have no specific knowledge of this particular bacteria, but engineered bacterias generally only survive under strictly controlled circumstances.  Let them loose in a real environment they quickly die.  Man isn't nearly as good at designing hardy, self-sustaining life forms as <choose one: God or Darwin>.  Genetic engineering just isn't there yet.

And like it or not, we're already using special purpose bacteria and protozoans and whatnot for industrial purposes.  As one example, your municipality's sewage treatment plant depends on this sort of thing to process your flushings.  Nobody seems to complain about that.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
You know, am I the only person in the world to equate...

WND.com = Nutjob.com

Blog under construction

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »
Vehicles burn the fuel, releasing atmospheric carbon, water, and transporting Mommy and her precious crotch-fruit to soccer practice.

Pardon me, whilst I remove the liquid refreshment from my monitor. Best line I've ever seen on APS...HTG, you rock.
Hi.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:04:42 PM »
Fjolnirsson, it's not the first time I've heard the term...

Still this is nothing especially new.  They have a process to turn algae into diesel, complete down to growing the algae in trays in a desert somewhere.  Recycling and covered trays keep water demands down.

It's just a question of economy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »

WND.com = Nutjob.com

Lotta folk on APS seem to feel that way. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »
Crotchfruit descriptor previously used here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=7892.msg128932#msg128932

and here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=7409.msg120575#msg120575

I've since stopped using the term and refer to them as mobile sources of Soylent Green biodiesel, instead. Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
Can't we just call them Spawn of Media Satan, and be done with it?

Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:19:30 AM »
What everyone fails to understand is THE GORISTAS DON'T WANT US TO USE OIL, COAL, GAS OR NUCLEAR ENERGY.  IT CAUSES GLOBULAR WORMING AND LINES THE POCKETS OF DIRTY RICH CAPITALIST ENERGY COMPANY PIGS AND CHOKES THE LANDFILLS WITH PLASTIC!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 04:40:42 AM »
What everyone fails to understand is THE GORISTAS DON'T WANT US TO USE OIL, COAL, GAS OR NUCLEAR ENERGY.  IT CAUSES GLOBULAR WORMING AND LINES THE POCKETS OF DIRTY RICH CAPITALIST ENERGY COMPANY PIGS AND CHOKES THE LANDFILLS WITH PLASTIC!!!

with this new GMO bacteria we won't even need landfills. I think the squirrel kissers would be all over this.

The bacteria makes sense because they use bacteria to clean up hydrocarbon spills. I also imagine that crude oil is a byproduct of bacteria, makes sense because bacteria in coal creates methane gas, which they extract from under the ground out in the Western states.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »
Don't care.

I've invented an amazing new pill that, when dropped into water, allows a car to run on the solution.

Neither do I.  As soon as the good banker in Zimbabwae gets my account information, I'm getting 10% of a deceased billionaire's estate.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »
AFAIK, any engineered bacteria designed to perform a task tends to only work in controlled conditions, in a device like a bioreactor. Outside of it, they expire.

You can see rows of operating bacteria-action bioreactors at most any large city sewage plant.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
Don't care.

Neither do I.  As soon as the good banker in Zimbabwae gets my account information, I'm getting 10% of a deceased billionaire's estate.
What's the Zimbabwe dollar at these days then? laugh

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:02 AM »
Don't care.

What's the Zimbabwe dollar at these days then? laugh
No no no...its in Euros....
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 08:14:49 AM »
I also imagine that crude oil is a byproduct of bacteria, makes sense because bacteria in coal creates methane gas, which they extract from under the ground out in the Western states.

And they use chili out West to extract methane gas from around campfires.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »
"It's not even theory anymore," he told WND. "Now we're just engineering. We are within a very few days of announcing the location of our first pilot plant."

If this is true then media coverage or the lack thereof is irrelevant.

WND.com = Nutjob.com

Nope.  If they are the only source for a story then I automatically assume it's BS until shown otherwise.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »

At least to me, the fact that they're looking for an area to site a test plant means this stuff isn't new.  It's probably been in the news in the past; perhaps limited to more scientific minded publications.

For example, Discover had an article on Thermal Depolymorization a while back.  From  the descriptions, it's a lot like a non-organic version of the process described here.

TD can be used to dispose of pretty much anything that includes hydrocarbons, and the output is purified water, light oil, purified metals, etc...  It can even be used to process chemical weapons and such.  Any mostly organic garbage works.  And 'plastic' counts as organic in this case.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »

At least to me, the fact that they're looking for an area to site a test plant means this stuff isn't new.  It's probably been in the news in the past; perhaps limited to more scientific minded publications.

For example, Discover had an article on Thermal Depolymorization a while back.  From  the descriptions, it's a lot like a non-organic version of the process described here.

TD can be used to dispose of pretty much anything that includes hydrocarbons, and the output is purified water, light oil, purified metals, etc...  It can even be used to process chemical weapons and such.  Any mostly organic garbage works.  And 'plastic' counts as organic in this case.

It's already being used. ConAgra operates a plant that uses that process to turn their turkey offal into fuel oil that they use to run the plant, and they sell other distillates from the process.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
There are many schemes, all scientifically valid for producing hydrocarbon fuel from various biological waste feed stocks.

Thermal Depolymerization comes to mind. There's a big plant at the Butterball Turkey processin plant that turns all the blood, feet, beaks, offal, and feathers into light sweet low-sulfur crude. The plant is even somewhat self-fired by the methane pulled off the top of the reaction.

However, the real test is if the production is economical once ALL the costs and energy inputs into the process are taken into account. Bio-algae, Thermal Depolymerization, GM bacteria etc. all of them work, it's if they work creating net energy gain, and are economical in terms of infrastructure, land cost, wastes etc.

And everyone's looking for investors, and to make a buck, so they're also very cagey about real and honest energy/cost input/output figures.

That's the real rub.

I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 09:23:57 AM »
The butterball plant is the ConAgra one. And yes, it produces light oil as well as middle distillates, and the remainder is powdered carbon used in things like printer toner.

I wonder if the vegan greenies know they're printing with animal products. cheesy