Author Topic: Moose over-population problem... What to do?  (Read 9007 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Moose over-population problem... What to do?
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/article2377537.ece

Moose Multiplication Causes Concern

The moose population in Scandinavia has exploded, causing harm and danger in many places.
Moose are multiplying quickly, causing researchers to fear for the ecosystem.

There has been an increase of 30 times the moose population since the turn of last century, meaning there is now perhaps the largest moose population since the ice age, reports Norwegian Broadcasting Corp NRK.

And many are worried about what the effects will be on the ecology, not to mention the rapidly increasing traffic accidents.

A record number of moose have been run down on roads and by trains this winter, while the futures forests are being eaten up by the majestic animals, complain landowners.

Forestry researcher Knut Solbraa has been warning for years about the effect the increasing moose population is having on the plants they graze on.

At the same time, animals of prey, such as wolves, are having a heyday. And the trickle-down effect has reached carrion-eaters like foxes and ravens.

All this also has consequences for nature, from insects to mushrooms.

Nobody seems to know what to do, if anything can be done, and meanwhile, the kings of the forest continue to enchant people, oblivious of their plight.

Funny, I have an idea.   rolleyes

This is the environment with folks with PETA and Friends of Animals mindsets in charge.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Moose over-population problem... What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »
Though, I've seen moose in person. I don't know that I'd even trust a .308 to take one down before it charged. 45-70, an African big-game caliber, or an RPG-7, perhaps!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/article2377537.ece

Moose Multiplication Causes Concern

The moose population in Scandinavia has exploded, causing harm and danger in many places.
Moose are multiplying quickly, causing researchers to fear for the ecosystem.

There has been an increase of 30 times the moose population since the turn of last century, meaning there is now perhaps the largest moose population since the ice age, reports Norwegian Broadcasting Corp NRK.

And many are worried about what the effects will be on the ecology, not to mention the rapidly increasing traffic accidents.

A record number of moose have been run down on roads and by trains this winter, while the futures forests are being eaten up by the majestic animals, complain landowners.

Forestry researcher Knut Solbraa has been warning for years about the effect the increasing moose population is having on the plants they graze on.

At the same time, animals of prey, such as wolves, are having a heyday. And the trickle-down effect has reached carrion-eaters like foxes and ravens.

All this also has consequences for nature, from insects to mushrooms.

Nobody seems to know what to do, if anything can be done, and meanwhile, the kings of the forest continue to enchant people, oblivious of their plight.

Funny, I have an idea.   rolleyes

This is the environment with folks with PETA and Friends of Animals mindsets in charge.

Time to pass that hunters exam for me then! grin
Easiest way to get hold of a couple of firearms here as well. Even though there are some silly restrictions on what, and how many you can get sad.
BTW, I don't think that PETA is to blame here, only the fact that the quotas haven't been kept in touch with reality. 200.000 (atleast) moose are taken every fall here...might be even more than that.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:12 AM »
Though, I've seen moose in person. I don't know that I'd even trust a .308 to take one down before it charged. 45-70, an African big-game caliber, or an RPG-7, perhaps!
.308 is one of the most common big game calibers here (big game here meaning moose, bear, wolf and perhaps one or two other), along with 6.5x55 Swedish. I figure this is partly because there is a lot of surplus ammo for training purposes (along with ammo nicked from the armed forces while doing military service - it's sort of a sport here). And old Swedish Mausers can still be had for a 100 dollars or so.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:09:01 AM »
Oh, I know it's used for them, it's just that when I saw a moose in the wild, it was like "That is not an animal. That is a truck." shocked

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
.308 is plenty.  Heck my boss hunts them with an old octagonal barrel .30 WCF.

Remember, if you are hunting them it's like shooting a cow.  

But with more walking involved, and it's in a swamp.  And there are bears who will come by while you're dressing it out.

So it actually isn't much like shooting a cow at all, I guess.  smiley

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
.308 is plenty.  Heck my boss hunts them with an old octagonal barrel .30 WCF.

But with more walking involved, and it's in a swamp.  And there are bears who will come by while you're dressing it out.

So it actually isn't much like shooting a cow at all, I guess.  smiley

I've also seen video of someone, for some reason, bowhunting a moose from too close, on the ground, the arrow did not work, and the moose charged them. There was one "OH SH__!" before the camera was dropped by the fleeing hunter and friend. grin

(Here's someone ELSE doing that, not that video, but another...What are they doing?!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »

But with more walking involved, and it's in a swamp.  And there are bears who will come by while you're dressing it out.

I've also seen video of someone, for some reason, bowhunting a moose from too close, on the ground, the arrow did not work, and the moose charged them. There was one "OH SH__!" before the camera was dropped by the fleeing hunter and friend. grin

(Here's someone ELSE doing that, not that video, but another...What are they doing?!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg
Guess that's another use for the explosive arrows used by Rambo grin.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
Funny, I have an idea.

'Prolly same as mine.  I wonder how a Moose green chili would taste?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »

My father killed a couple of them back in the 70's with a .308 as well.  One of them had a rack that measured 5' 11" from tip to tip.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
The obvious answer is "Eat more moose."

I was, and still am, impressed by reports that a Swedish (perhaps Finnish, my memory is showing signs of age...) moose tag comes with a marksmanship test (multiple, timed, shots on a moving life sized target) and, should you draw such a tag, you will shoot a cow or calf or go mooseless.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »

I was, and still am, impressed by reports that a Swedish (perhaps Finnish, my memory is showing signs of age...) moose tag comes with a marksmanship test (multiple, timed, shots on a moving life sized target) and, should you draw such a tag, you will shoot a cow or calf or go mooseless.
Probably both countries, though I don't know much about hunting in Finland, other than the fact that they don't have as many silly restrictions on how your rifle looks. Want to use a FAL to take down that moose? Why sure!
Big no-no here...damn regulations...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »

Probably both countries, though I don't know much about hunting in Finland, other than the fact that they don't have as many silly restrictions on how your rifle looks. Want to use a FAL to take down that moose? Why sure!

My .308 is an AK variant made in Russia. I suspect that'd be frowned upon. grin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

My .308 is an AK variant made in Russia. I suspect that'd be frowned upon. grin
Damn right it is. No "military style" semiautos of a post-1942 design. Means AK and everything derived from that is a no-no, same with SKS, AR-15, M1 Rifle, FAL, G3, FNC you name it. Neatest toys one can get seems to be Mini-14, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, 10/22 and a few other. Though from what I've understood this isn't an actual law, just regulations from the gov't agency that tries to manage hunting...and they say "no military semiautos". This is probably to keep so-called unserious persons who only want a "cool" rifle away from hunting...
The Finns are more sensible. As long as the barrel length meets the regulations, they seem to care about little else. Saiga 12 Gauge? No problem. Same with using an FAL or Saiga rifle or whatever. Though I suspect even they won't allow full auto stuff, though you never know laugh.
An interesting rumour that I heard is that these regulations were written with the help of the gun dealer representing Ruger in Sweden...think there is any bias? rolleyes

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
I'm sure we could spare a few wolves to help you out ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »
I'm sure we could spare a few wolves to help you out ...  rolleyes
We got those as well, thank you very much laugh. Wolves, wolverines, bear and of course a couple of hundred thousand hunters who walk out every fall to get a moose.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
Well, you must not have enough wolves if they haven't eaten all the moose yet.

Along with the wolves, we could send you some eccentric environmentalists ( C.O.D. of course ).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »

Along with the wolves, we could send you some eccentric environmentalists ( C.O.D. of course ).
I'm not sure about how many wolves we got in the country - but both sides are bitching about it, the rabid wolf lover saying there's far to few, and the anti's saying one is far to many...
We got our own enviromentalists as well. Though it's not as bad as it used to be, when various vegan groups torched slaughterhouses and trucks belonging to them and releasing minks from mink farms every week...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

AFAIK, moose aren't their preferred prey if there's easier prey like too many deer around. Moose are really big, and one mistake gets a pack member turned into a pancake. They're not stupid.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
We have no deer.

Well, except a few on some southern islands.

Our wolves just have to settle for the odd pancake.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 03:08:51 AM »
We need a "What recipe for moose" thread.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »
"Though, I've seen moose in person. I don't know that I'd even trust a .308 to take one down before it charged. 45-70, an African big-game caliber, or an RPG-7, perhaps! "

Well, I KNOW of one case where a moose was killed with two shots from a Ruger 10/22.  Shot placement is king!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 07:25:07 AM »
We need a "What recipe for moose" thread.  grin

First, acquire a moose...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
They've overrun the airfield!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »
First, acquire a moose...

When I lived in Alaska, the recipe for moose started with waking up at 3am with a call from the State Troopers telling us to come get a moose off the highway.  For some reason, it was always 35 below zero too  shocked