Author Topic: Moose over-population problem... What to do?  (Read 9010 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Moose over-population problem... What to do?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
That's what I call fresh frozen...  shocked

cheesy

yea, I've heard stories from some Mainer friends aboot chainsaws and quartering a moose up in about 30 seconds. That's gotta be messy...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:27 AM »
That's what I call fresh frozen... 

Nah, they were usually still warm.  Huge cloud of steam when you slit the gut open with the air temperature that low  shocked

I got called because even back then, I was one of the few guys associated with that group that had a pickup.  Funny thing, how all those self-righteous <bleeps> berate you for driving a "gas guzzler" but then you are the one they come to when they need to move, haul firewood, or retrieve roadkill moose in the middle of the night  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:41 AM »
That's what I call fresh frozen... 

Nah, they were usually still warm.  Huge cloud of steam when you slit the gut open with the air temperature that low  shocked

Did you use a lightsaber?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »
Did you use a lightsaber?

No, but I think we may have had a flashlight.  The batteries were probably dead, though ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
Send them to Chicago. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

oldfart

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
There were two separate things that really showed me just how big those moose can get.  

Once, when I was out hunting rabbits, I saw a cow standing among group of trees.  For some reason, I noticed which branch she was feeding from.  Later, when I was returning from my hunt, I walked closer to where the moose had been and noticed that the branch she had been working on was about ten feet off the ground!

The other was watching two strong men trying to load a single quarter of a moose into my pickup.