Author Topic: Not something I would have expected to see in a "Dear Margo" column...  (Read 9017 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
and to be perfectly honest, my Bull Crap O'Meter is sounding loud and long about this.

If she's worried about the kids, why isn't she calling the police or youth services?

Something is wrong with this one.

DEAR MARGO: We have a neighbor who we feel is unhinged. We have concerns not only for our safety, but for that of our other neighbors. "Joe" loves guns, and there is nothing wrong with that, but his use of them verges on the fanatical. Joe likes to hold target practice in his backyard. My husband, who is certified as a firearms instructor, tried talking to him about the hazards not only to Joe's children but also to others. Joe's shooting target is only 20 yards from where his children play, and they are in the yard playing when he is shooting. Joe ignored us. My husband had our attorney send Joe and his wife a letter telling them they needed to stop, since some of the bullets were coming onto our property. He refused. In fact, the next time he went out to shoot, his wife pointed a video camera at our kitchen window, yelled obscenities and gave us the finger. Meanwhile, Joe is shooting away. And I don't mean standing-still shooting; I mean rolling on the ground and then shooting from a prone position. He dresses in black and carries his handgun around all the time -- and brags about it. Should we contact the authorities? My husband is thinking of trying to reason with Joe again, but I am terrified. What do you think?

--- SCARED OUT OF MY WITS IN NORTH CAROLINA

DEAR SCARED: I think Joe is a head case with firearms and fantasies. Tell your husband to forget reasoning with him; Joe is missing the wherewithal. The first thing I would do is find out if this nut job has a permit to carry firearms -- since that's what he's doing. Then bring the whole matter of Joe and his backyard firing range to the attention of the local police. If they are unresponsive, try the local DA or the attorney general's office. I asked a federal judge's law clerk for guidance, and here's a little, pardon the expression, ammunition for you: "North Carolina General Statute 14-34.1 prohibits the willful or wanton discharge of a firearm into occupied property. The little shooting range might also qualify as a nuisance/breach of the peace that the attorney general's office could file suit to abate under General Statute 19-2.1. There may, of course, be local ordinances that more specifically prohibit the reckless discharge of a firearm."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Not something I would have expected to see in a "Dear Margo" column...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
Mine just broke.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »
The first thing I would do is find out if this nut job has a permit to carry firearms -- since that's what he's doing.

Wow, great advice.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »
The first thing I would do is find out if this nut job has a permit to carry firearms -- since that's what he's doing.

Wow, great advice.   cheesy

Yeah, tell me about it. She should have posed that question to her law clerk friend, too. No license to carry needed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Joe likes to hold target practice in his backyard. My husband, who is certified as a firearms instructor, tried talking to him about the hazards not only to Joe's children but also to others. Joe's shooting target is only 20 yards from where his children play, and they are in the yard playing when he is shooting. Joe ignored us. My husband had our attorney send Joe and his wife a letter telling them they needed to stop, since some of the bullets were coming onto our property. He refused. In fact, the next time he went out to shoot, his wife pointed a video camera at our kitchen window, yelled obscenities and gave us the finger.

Sounds like a quality individual there. Just an idiot that owns guns and fires them off in his backyard, which makes him a dangerous idiot.  I am fairly libertarian, but if rounds are leaving his property he needs to be charged with endangering the public. It is people like him that give all of us a bad name. 
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »
I don't disagree with that sentiment, but I think something just doesn't smell right with the entire letter.

Why the hell would the woman write an advice columnist about something like this if, as she says, children are potentially in danger? And why in the hell would her husband, if he is supposedly a certified firearms instructor, go along with something like that?

I'm not buying it.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
The needle on my Bravo Sierra meter flipped all the way over to the right and broke off and hit the floor.

Smells like more leftist extremist anti-Second Amendment bigotry.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
Yeah, I really think it's contrived as hell.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
Assuming it's not contrived, the guy IS a nut and needs to be stopped.  Shooting in the vicinity of homes is bad juju, good backstop or not.

In reality, they probably saw the guy cleaning his guns and freaked out.  At worst, he's probably shooting airsoft.  If he's actually holding target practice in his backyard, I'm sure the authorities would like to speak with him, as it's almost always not legal to shoot in an area with homes a certain number of feet nearby.

In my last house, I had a woman call the police on me beacause her kid climbed the fence, and saw me cleaning guns on my kitchen table.  You never know how unhinged people can get.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
Diagnosis: Fake

A FEDERAL judge's law clerk looked up North Carolina state law for her? Highly unlikely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:38:46 PM »
"A FEDERAL judge's law clerk looked up North Carolina state law for her? Highly unlikely."

That I buy.

Westlaw is a wonderful thing. Just about ever Federal, State, and major locality (big cities and counties) law on the books at your fingertips, or actually a click of your mouse. You just need to parse your search words correctly, and that's what a law clerk does a lot of, searching.

A search like that would take no more than a few minutes, and I have no doubt, given Margo's status and her connections (her Mother was Dear Abby, IIRC) that she has contacts like that at her disposal, or her staff's disposal.

I think the writer of the letter is getting it over on Margo.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »
"In my last house, I had a woman call the police on me beacause her kid climbed the fence, and saw me cleaning guns on my kitchen table."

Come on, you have to share. How did that one end?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
"In my last house, I had a woman call the police on me beacause her kid climbed the fence, and saw me cleaning guns on my kitchen table."

I thought I talked about it on here before.

Basically the cop knocked on the door, saying, "Look, this is silly, but policy requires we come out every time the word "gun" is mentioned.  You were just cleaning your guns on your table right? well good, I'll let your neighbor know you weren't doing anything wrong and she needs to calm down.  Sorry to bother you, sir."

Literally, it went like that, I didn't get a word in edgewise.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
I'd bet he has a pellet gun, or airsoft.

And who hell is this "Margo", anyway?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
Syndicated advice columnist.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

I thought I talked about it on here before.

Basically the cop knocked on the door, saying, "Look, this is silly, but policy requires we come out every time the word "gun" is mentioned.  You were just cleaning your guns on your table right? well good, I'll let your neighbor know you weren't doing anything wrong and she needs to calm down.  Sorry to bother you, sir."

Literally, it went like that, I didn't get a word in edgewise.

No meantion of the kid was trespassing?  Climbing a fence to get into your yard isn't the same thing as the kid walking through your lawn on the way to somewhere else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
My guess is that "SCARED" has an overactive imagination, or else it was a slow mail day and Margo was making up letters ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »

Margo got pwnd.