Author Topic: I'm glad! I'm REALLY GLAD!  (Read 9079 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I'm glad! I'm REALLY GLAD!
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
Tonight, on a whim, I went to Target and Wal-Mart, looking for some kind of glider I could toy around with tomorrow.  I was looking for something like this:

No such luck.  No simple little, cheapo glider a kid could buy with his allowance money.  No, just battery-powered models that cost 30 dollars or much more.  Stupid electric toys.   :mad:

OK, no, I'm not really mad.  It is disappointing, though.   =(  I used to buy these styrofoam gliders from Wal-Mart, that had a four-foot wing span.  Those things were cool.  Maybe they'll have some come spring. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:18:20 AM by Mr. Tactical pants »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: I'm mad! I'm REALLY MAD!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »
You mean the big gliders you see people throw at picnic places, and they go in a loop and nail them in the head ? :)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
Good clean fun.   :lol:

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »
Sort of like when a kite on a beach falls out of the air in a dive, it WILL hit the only person on the beach.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:53:34 AM »
wrong season for those at Target or Walmart check back in the spring

find a real toy store and they will have them in a tube by the register
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:13:55 AM »
You mean the big gliders you see people throw at picnic places, and they go in a loop and nail them in the head ? :)
I was thinking of the big styrofoam gliders that would go in a big loop then nose dive into the ground breaking the wings off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »
When I was around 10, my older cousin and I used to attach model rocket engines to the little balsa wood airplanes, then launch them horizontally out his window over the back yard and into his woods.  They would catch on fire halfway and crash, it was fun.  Sadly, he died a few years later at the age of 13. 

He was cool, he had a .30-06 and a 30-30!  He showed me that you could take all the shot out of a shotgun shell and tape a rock or marble to the primer end.  Then you throw it at someone and it scares the hell out of them!   =D  Ahh memories. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »
A shame...I wonder how he died...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »
wrong season for those at Target or Walmart check back in the spring

find a real toy store and they will have them in a tube by the register

Yeah, I figured they might have some in spring.  Still,   =(

And no real toy stores within range last night, so...

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »
I believe the gliders are a seasonal item.  Check after Christmas.  It never fails that I want to buy an electric fan between now and April....  almost none are available during this time period.  So, I buy them and store new ones just in case.  If you watch, you can buy them during the early fall close outs.  But they go so fast, that it is pure coincidence if you walk into a store and notice them on sale during that time period.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
This thread brings back good memories.

One of my rubber band powered balsa gliders made it from the treehouse almost to the flagpole without losing any airspeed or altitude. Thats a real awesome feat when you're 9 years old. I still to this day think a good paper or balsa airplane can be more fun than an electric RC car. I certainly use them much more.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
Fistful, I don't know if you're gonna online today, but you could try making a v-shaped paper jet out of the stiff paper from file folders. Putting a paper clip
on the bottom in the middle to keep the ends together adds weight and helps it fly straight.

If your dad lived in the 60's he probably taught you how to make the same kind of paper jet my dad taught me to make.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »
They are at the register at my local ACE Hardware.  Both glider and prop I believe...

taurusowner

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
If it's that big of a deal, I'm sure Amazon or Ebay can help.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25:30 PM »
Try a local hobby shop.   They'll probably have them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
Hobby shop.  KayBee toys in the mall.  Something like that. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
Firstly, like I said, I'm not really mad.  I thought everybody would understand I was quoting that "really mad" guy at the McCain rally in Wisconsin.  Maybe not. 

Yeah, I know I could find them somewhere on line, or at some brick and mortar in another part of town, or in spring.  The thing is, I wanted to get one last night, so I could play with it today.   =(

And it annoyed me, because I have a theory that I could find one at any Wal-Mart, at any season of the year, if it weren't for the glut of battery-operated stuff, and Yu-Gi-O crap out there. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »
Fistful, I don't know if you're gonna online today, but you could try making a v-shaped paper jet out of the stiff paper from file folders. Putting a paper clip
on the bottom in the middle to keep the ends together adds weight and helps it fly straight.

If your dad lived in the 60's he probably taught you how to make the same kind of paper jet my dad taught me to make.

In high school, we had to make rubber-band cars with the propeller made out of paper. Glue was allowed.

My dad is a former aircraft designer, which was an unfair advantage. ;) He showed me how to make a proper layered laminate, and how to curve and form a hard laminate prop with the proper pitch to bite the air and all. That thing whipped off down the hall like a bat out of hell and kept going and going and going... =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »
4-engines:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
Thats neat. Did you carve the wings and tail yourself? They look like they could have been carved.

In high school, we had to make rubber-band cars with the propeller made out of paper.

That reminds me of the two wheel CO2 car I made in Jr. High shop class. That thing was fast. The only thing faster was a very small four wheeler that was made the same way as a layer cake and spray-painted pink.

Our teacher was fair, though. He graded us only on quality of construction.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
This was an AP physics class. I'd also won a "longest time in air" glider thing by departing from the norm. Instead of going for distance, I made a cupped lifting body that glided down a bit, nosed up, lifted into a leisurely hang of a stall, dipped its nose and regained airspeed, pitched back up at a certain speed, stalled again, and repeated that all the way to the ground, taking a long time to do it. Shortest distance, but longest time in air. :)

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »
A shame...I wonder how he died...

He died in a quad accident.  I remember there being a search party, and driving around logging roads looking for him.  I kept thinking we were going to get to be on Rescue 911 when we found him.  I remember also the searchers interviewing me trying to figure out places he liked to ride.

Heh, when my parents burst through the door a couple hours early from work, they scared me so bad I spilled paint thinner all over the model I was building.  A '57 Chevy IIRC. 

Thanks for sharing that Fistful, brings back old memories.   =)
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:47 AM »
People that aren't completely disgusted with me:  1

People that pray nightly for my high-altitude defenestration:  Everybody else.   =)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:35 AM »
We used to fly paper planes from the tenth floor of Todd Hall at Eastern Kentucky University... Which was parallel with Dupree dorm... You'd get some truly tricky wind currents, and the occasional bottle-rocket RPG, to deal with...

Then they bolted all the windows shut. With allen sockets... Heh...

Blog under construction