Author Topic: I'm glad! I'm REALLY GLAD!  (Read 9077 times)

mfree

• friend
Re: I'm mad! I'm REALLY MAD!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:53 AM »
Wood? Don't need no stinkin' wood...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:10 AM »
We used to fly paper planes from the tenth floor of Todd Hall at Eastern Kentucky University... Which was parallel with Dupree dorm... You'd get some truly tricky wind currents, and the occasional bottle-rocket RPG, to deal with...

Then they bolted all the windows shut. With allen sockets... Heh...

I just remember when the vent covers were off the A/C ducts in elementary school, cleaning or such. I threw a paper airplane into one, and a moment later, there were shouts from another room nearby.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
Back when I was about 11 or 12 my brother got me "The Great American Paper Airplane Book" for my birthday.  I documented the 1st Paper Airplane Fly-off held by Scientific American magazine.  It also had about 20-30 designs from the various entries especially the winners of each catagory.  Needless to say I was the coolest kid in 4th and 5th grade for my paper airplane designs.  The downside was that these exotic designs also pegged me as he culprit..........   :angel: :rolleyes: =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I'm glad! I'm REALLY GLAD!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:32 AM »
Second childhood?  What's that?

OH JOYS!!  Wifey took the long way home from work today, stopped at the Hobby Lobby, and got me a glider three gliders! 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One is balsa, with a rubber-powered prop, one is made of squishy foam stuff, and the other is some kind of paperboard, with a long, rubber-band slingshot.  It was dark, before I got back from class, but I took 'em out and tried 'em out anyway.

I'll give a full report, later, if anyone cares.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 01:24:46 AM »
Shoot, FF!!!

Anyone remember the styrofoam gliders which had designs like the P40, and the P51 Mustang?

They even had little props you slid on the front.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Iain

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
Shoot, FF!!!

Anyone remember the styrofoam gliders which had designs like the P40, and the P51 Mustang?

They even had little props you slid on the front.

Yes. We had Spitfires and Hurricanes too.

15-20 years ago they were one of the only viable option for a small boy who loved flying toys. Radio control stuff was so expensive. I'll have to get an RC glider and live out that particular childhood dream.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 07:26:01 AM »
What's "defenestration"? So I know what I'm praying for... :lol: :angel:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
OIC, I thought maybe it was related to "deforestation" which would be interesting idea as well.  =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:39 AM »
Dr. Ninomiya’s Whitewings FTW
http://agi-usa.stores.yahoo.net/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mfree

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
How to make a kickarse paper airplane:

1 - roll a paper tube 3-4 layers thick on a dowel or a straight pen body, 4-5" long or so (play with the length), tape closed

2 - place one or two paperclips in one end of the tube, with single wires outside. Tape them down around the outside. This is the front of the fuselage.

3 - Cut two pieces of paper, with the intent of folding them in the middle, which becomes the front... one that'll be symmetrical across a line in the middle (horizontal stab) and one that'll be just a fin by itself (vertical stab)

4 - when you fold the horizontal stab, don't match the ends, fold it so there's about 1/16" or less difference between the length of the top and bottom sheets. Make a loose crease... then tape the ends together flush. The seam being offset warps the stab into an aerofoil shape... tape it on to the rear of the fuselage with the aerofoil pulling DOWN.

5 - take the vertical stab and fold it symmetrically, loosely to there's no overly sharp crease. Then trim a slight arc shape into the bottom, so the front and back are slightly shorter than the middle. What this does is when tapes to the fuselage, it pulls on the paper and expands the aerofoil. Get this taped on as straight as possible.

6 - Critical part: with everything but the main wing attached, balance the fuselage and make a mark. This is the CG.

7 - Using the same technique as with the horizontal stabilizer, make a main wing and tape it on. Now, here's the catch; the center of lift of the wing is going to be slightly behind the top of the curve in the aerofoil shape. That center of lift needs to be just slightly behind the CG, by 1/8" or so.

Remember the horz stab pulling down? The CL location of the wing is going to try and pull the tail of the plane up, and the horz. stab counteracts. Bend the HSTAB tips up or down to adjust for pitch trim, and fling your airplane about with great vigor.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »
Hobby Lobby has them, both gliders and prop-powered, balsa or foam.  I know this because I see them every single time I go there, and have to remind myself that I'm there for something else, and that I have a couple at home I've already bought but haven't flown because of the dog (a Lab who chews EVERYTHING).  =)

They're in stock year-round, too.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »
I'm so glad, I'm glad, I'm glad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NmHIxGaNWM
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »
You can't use HTML here, Ron.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »
Figured that out and edited while you posted  :laugh:

Haven't been around in a while I couldn't remember if we could post youtube vids or not.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
Back when I was about 11 or 12 my brother got me "The Great American Paper Airplane Book" for my birthday.  I documented the 1st Paper Airplane Fly-off held by Scientific American magazine.  It also had about 20-30 designs from the various entries especially the winners of each catagory.  Needless to say I was the coolest kid in 4th and 5th grade for my paper airplane designs.  The downside was that these exotic designs also pegged me as he culprit..........   :angel: :rolleyes: =D

I had that book as well. In fact, I still have it. I loved it when I was younger... although I never could get my copies of the paper airplane in it to fly as well as they said they did in the book.
Andy

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
I had that book as well. In fact, I still have it. I loved it when I was younger... although I never could get my copies of the paper airplane in it to fly as well as they said they did in the book.

A few years back when I was at home I went looking through the bookshelves and boxes to se if I could find it.  Mom couldn't remember whether she had given it to one of my cousins/nephews or sold it in a garage sale...... =(

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »
What's "defenestration"? So I know what I'm praying for... :lol: :angel:

=D

Given a particular horizontal supporting surface bearing a mass equivalent to fistful, it is the act of taking said mass and expelling it from the premises via the nearest access point to natural light and ventilation.

(Ya throws him out of da window.)

It could also be interpreted as taking the great glowing ban-schwerk and smiting fistful's account to APS... since APS technically runs in a window, he would be defenestrated from the site.  <hint> :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:49 PM »
Yup, looked it up but didn't make the APS connection. It does say, however, that denestrwhatever is not necessarily indicative of wishing death on someone as that would depend on the height of the window.  :laugh:

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
He has a standing invitation from me to come to Chicago and I'll take him to see the Sears Tower........ =D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
I say we take up a collection to buy him a bus ticket to Chicago. It's the right thing to do!  :laugh:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
My dad tried to encourage the typical father/son stuff, but we really didn't have much free time in the family. Things that fly was no different, it quickly became a job. Once you go from gliders to things with servos and motors there is only one thing left to do. That's right, get the @#$% .22 rifle because we've got to dislodge the ^&&%# airplane from its perch 70 feet up in a tree. Rocketry was worse. Did you know that D motor+old hunting arrow+duct tape=the world's biggest bottle rocket? My dad did, not a real safe guy to be a kid or neighbor around.  =D Ah, the good old days.

I must have had several hundred of those balsa gliders as a kid, bought them for 25 cents, wrecked within the day.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:45:37 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.