Author Topic: More on the Ammo Shortage  (Read 9092 times)

learn2shoot

Re: More on the Ammo Shortage
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 12:02:53 PM »
Dulles expo center - there was a dealer asking and getting $65/box of Blazer 380 ACP (FMJ).

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »
Why should the ammo companies fall all over themselves to make supplying ammo to a gov't (or gov'ts) who are against RKBA for the people their number one priority instead of supplying US citizens with the ammo?

Did you really just ask that?

It's all about the money.  Uncle Sam spends way more on ammunition for military and law enforcement contracts than you or I ever would. And as far as I know, they're not foregoing commercial ammo sales for the government contracts, they're trying to fill both. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
I went to a show in Dallas this past weekend and there was quite a bit of ammo, however, it was expensive.  Primers, what there were, were 65 bucks a thousand, insane.  My Enfield collection has tripled in price in the last 6 months.....I could not afford this hobby is I was starting out today.....chris3

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
I went to a show in Dallas this past weekend and there was quite a bit of ammo, however, it was expensive.  Primers, what there were, were 65 bucks a thousand, insane.  My Enfield collection has tripled in price in the last 6 months.....I could not afford this hobby is I was starting out today.....chris3

I was told someone was selling primers at the the Des Moines, Iowa gun show this weekend for $10 per 100.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »
Hoarding is hoarding, with a massive induced ripple effect. 

Yep, everybody is buying extra, plus there are a bunch of new gun owners since BHO got elected.

I don't think it is THAT bad though.  I still have a fairly steady supply of ammo incoming and I'm only paying 10-15 percent more than this time last year.  You might have to wait a week or two on some stuff... but believe me, the supply is not "drying up".  Ammo makers have no reason to hold out on us, they want to make as much money as possible, which means producing a decent supply.  I have 1k+ of .223, 9mm, and .308 heading to my door on a UPS truck right now.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
I see this as a perfect example of the markets at work.

The price of ammo is going up. As a result, ammunition becomes more dear (specifically to me) so people are shooting less.

Once demand slacks off, I will be more willing to buy.

Also, the fact that my wife and I are saving for our first house makes that decision a lot easier.

I currently have enough to defend my family and my home. Once prices go back down, I'll invest again in practice and training.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
Wideners had a bunch of PRVI .380 a few weeks ago. It took a few hours to sell out.

Checking the industry forums on arfcom is a great way to get a head's up when stock comes in.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
wideners has 223 and some other ammo right now.

who knows how long it will last.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
Hey, they have PVRI M193 even.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
Who has bulk 7.62x39?

I can't find it anywhere
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »

?--With demand in US running sky-high, why have offshore producers NOT backfilled the demand???????  One would think in this age of global production offshore producers would fall over themselves supplying US demand.

That's a question I've asked too.  Where's the S&B and Prvi and whatnot?  You'd think those guys would be sending literal boatloads of the stuff our way, and selling it out in a matter of days, and making a considerable premium compared to what they're used to getting.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
I don't know how much excess production Prvi etc has. And how much their respective fed.gov (or EU for those nations) let's them work (unions only, qualified workers in general, raw material imports)  or export.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »
I'm putting in an order with these folks for a bunch of .223 and .308 milsurp projectiles:

http://www.rvow.com

That's assuming they're not back-ordered, too.  ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
I guess I'll ask again:  Does anyone know how long it takes an importer in the US to set up a new order and get it shipped to the US?  If someone wanted to bring in a boat load of S&B assuming it was available, how long would it take to get the order arranged, get the import paperwork set up, and get it shipped and past customs?  I guess I'm thinking this isn't something you do overnight. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
I guess I'll ask again:  Does anyone know how long it takes an importer in the US to set up a new order and get it shipped to the US?  If someone wanted to bring in a boat load of S&B assuming it was available, how long would it take to get the order arranged, get the import paperwork set up, and get it shipped and past customs?  I guess I'm thinking this isn't something you do overnight. 

No, it takes months. But the quantities that come in (on container ship) are huge.

IMO, the ammo run will settle down as Congress goes into summer recess, and those interested in stocking up get to where they want to be. OTOH, the summer shooting sports/plinking season, then the general ramp up in shooting activity for hunting season in late summer/early fall will put a little more pressure on supplies.

Then if there's no major anti-gun/anti-ammo legislative activity this fall, most will begin to assume we're "safe" at least until Obama's second term, or the 2010 mid-term elections, giving 1 year of breathing room. Prices won't fall back much, but supplies will be close to normal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:45:21 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
Who has bulk 7.62x39?

Isn't Sarco still running ads in Shotgun News for all that Yugo AK ammo that brought in last year?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.