Author Topic: Which brands are best?  (Read 9063 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Which brands are best?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
Engine oil pan.

Typical Ford, steel bolts holding the starter to the cast aluminum tranny case. My 90 e-150 did the exact same thing. Except the dealer broke the bolt on that one. NEver did fix it, can't go the same route this time. Need the P/U.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
Grind the bolt heads off, slide starter out, slide new starter on resulting studs of bolts, weld a nut on top of the stud.

Problem solved, no wrenching required.   >:D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »
Or I cound just put a blob of JB Weld over each stud in lieu of bolt heads. Hell of an idea! yay!  :lol:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
WD40 = Poor
WD40 is NOT PENETRANT.  It is a decent lubricant/Water Dispersant.

PB Blaster = Good
Kroil = Excellent

The secret is apply early and apply often.  Smack the bolt heads with a hammer (if you can reach them) apply heat until the penetrant boils and burns away.
Apply more, let it sit, smack it again.

^^^ +1
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
Or I cound just put a blob of JB Weld over each stud in lieu of bolt heads. Hell of an idea! yay!  :lol:

or just tack weld the starter in there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
There ya go! Baling wire and bubble gum came to mind as well...  =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
i bought a 63 bug in the early 70's  i went too work on it and discovered that the clutch cable had broken in the past and been repaired by using a pair of vicegrips to clamp the broken ends together. been a while the grips were rusted solid
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »
LOL, surprise!!

I had this 1970 Fiat 124 that I lost the keys for so I busted the ignition off and held the spring loaded steering wheel lock open with a small screwdriver I jammed in there. Drove it like that for quite a while. It did on occasion slip out of there and the wheel would lock while I was driving. Got to where I'd make damn sure it was jammed in there tight before I took off. talk about pucker factor!  :O

Oh to be young and dumb again!  :laugh: