Author Topic: Interesting article on the dangers of GPS jamming  (Read 9025 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Interesting article on the dangers of GPS jamming
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20202-gps-chaos-how-a-30-box-can-jam-your-life.html?page=1

I wasn't aware how many things depend on GPS. Somewhat concerning overall.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Interesting article on the dangers of GPS jamming
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »
Indeed.

And, GPS jammers are now easy to come by.

Here's on for sale: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/qh-1-high-power-gps-l1-signal-jammer-blocker-with-ac-car-charger-1565-1575-mhz-55872

Costs $27 shipped from china.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
1. Are military systems protected against this?

2. Does this work on GLONASS navigation?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:16 AM »
Typical -- Europe sees that the answer is enhanced LORAN, while the U.S. is busy deactivating all legacy LORAN stations. In fact, I think they finished phasing them out last year.

And to think -- I sold my sextant when I sold my last sailboat. I wonder if you can even buy a sextant any more.  -- or the books of tables that go with them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »
I was also concerned with the idea that time stamp spoofers could manipulate stock market buy orders to a few seconds before a stock started to rise.  Or sell orders if they fall.

I gotta go turn my hourglass over now.

And I still have a slide rule and know how to use it.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:36:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »
Something about putting all your eggs in one basket comes to mind. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
Just how effective are GPS jammers?  Do they effectively jam the signal in an area or does it just screw with the accuracy?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
Just how effective are GPS jammers?  Do they effectively jam the signal in an area or does it just screw with the accuracy?

Jam signals totally.  GPS chips can't hear anything from the sats.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
Yep. Several available on DealExtreme and similar Chinese gadget sites.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
Jam signals totally.  GPS chips can't hear anything from the sats.
I guess I was thinking about how much coverage one would have. 

Why hasn't the US seen this on the battlefield more?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »

It is a radio signal.  Hellooooo HARM!

Also, they are not so useful for insurgents, relative to regular army opponents.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

I remember that Saddam Hussein had some Russian-made GPS jammers he used during Desert Storm. The official line is that they were "ineffective" in disabling or mistargeting GPS-enabled smart bombs and missles. There was a brief flurry of stories about the vulnerablilty of future US smart weapons to GPS jamming technology, then - silence.

Here's a link to a 2003 story:  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81917,00.html

There are times I wouldn't mind a device to jam cellphones, but I'm probably on enough lists already - I'm not interested in adding my name to a group of people who bought illicit items from shady ChiCom companies . . .

It is a radio signal.  Hellooooo HARM!
Jammer: $30. HARM?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

Jammer: $30. HARM?

It's an anti-radiation missile .... that means it will seek out sources of radiation .... like a GPS jammer for instance. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
There are times I wouldn't mind a device to jam cellphones, but I'm probably on enough lists already - I'm not interested in adding my name to a group of people who bought illicit items from shady ChiCom companies .

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/36w-high-powered-cell-phone-blocker-jammer-3g-gms-cdma-dcs-phs-11510

Pay with a prepaid credit card.  ;)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
It's an anti-radiation missile .... that means it will seek out sources of radiation .... like a GPS jammer for instance. 

I think he was saying it isn't very cost effective.  A HARM missile probably costs several thousand dollars $870,000, compared to $30 for a GPS jammer.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »

I think he knows what a HARM is.  He was asking the cost of one.  IIRC the cost of a similarly performing and technologically capable missile from my Raytheon days was ~$100-200k.  But that's been a while so that's more of a SWAG than anything else.
Formerly sumpnz

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I think he knows what a HARM is.  He was asking the cost of one.  IIRC the cost of a similarly performing and technologically capable missile from my Raytheon days was ~$100-200k.  But that's been a while so that's more of a SWAG than anything else.
I think he was saying it isn't very cost effective.  A HARM missile probably costs several thousand dollars $870,000, compared to $30 for a GPS jammer.

OK. [tinfoil] ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:52 PM »
Any GPS jammer powerful enough to keep a JDAM or any other GPS-guided munition from turning you into itty bits is going to cost more than $30 and won;t be bought off ebay.

Think about it:
    Lethal blast area of warhead = X meters
    CEP of munition with GPS = Y meters (which these days is less than X)
    CEP of munition w/o GPS from drop/shot to target location = Y+something meters
    CEP of munition when its last update was only 100 meters above your head cause you bought the $30 chicom GPS jammer and then hacked it to increase its power by 10X is still = Y meters (or close enough so that you won't care, 'casue you'll still be dead even if the jammer "works" as advertised)

Any GPS jammer that is powerful enough to really work is gonna cost some bucks and is well worth a HARM to kill it and/or its operators.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
I'm almost certain that military GPS systems utilize some different bandwidth/frequency from civilian GPS, and are probably better in terms of accuracy.

JDAM still has inertial guidance that CANNOT be jammed, period, and that will ride down your throat with pinpoint accuracy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
I've thought about picking up this set: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/kcnb.html

Good GRIEF!

I had one of those sextants. It's PLASTIC, fer Gawd's sake. I think I paid all of $15 or $20 for it. They're claiming that "kit" is worth $300 and that it's a bargain at $215? And the other guys are asking that for just the sextant?

Wanna buy a bridge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
I was also concerned with the idea that time stamp spoofers could manipulate stock market buy orders to a few seconds before a stock started to rise.  Or sell orders if they fall.

I gotta go turn my hourglass over now.

And I still have a slide rule and know how to use it.

Terry, 230RN

What about your abacus?   ;)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »
Good GRIEF!

I had one of those sextants. It's PLASTIC, fer Gawd's sake. I think I paid all of $15 or $20 for it. They're claiming that "kit" is worth $300 and that it's a bargain at $215? And the other guys are asking that for just the sextant?

Wanna buy a bridge?

I found those locally for ~$170, if I recall right. Still highway robbery, even with decent optics.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
you should be able to rest easy on the stock market, computers don't reset the clock at the second. at most it's once an hour. and i'll bet once a day if not start up. =| not that that means some fool hasn't, tweaked the system for "better" time keeping. :facepalm: i'd worry more about groups with a lot of cash(talking billions here) deciding to try to trash the exchanges. [tinfoil] remember the frozen OJ gag in trading places? opps. i mean don't worry, nothing bad can ever happen in the US. Katie said so.

and speaking of shady chi-com sites, anybody order a good balloon popping laser lately? :angel:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:28 AM »

Here you go; nothing to upset your plastic allergy: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/nc1609.html?cmp=froogle&kw=nc1609&utm_source=nc1609&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=froogle   =D

Plastics with the most useful properties of brass aren't hard to come by, and the weight savings is a good thing if you're going to be using it a lot.